Ultimate Punisher

New chapter coming Monday!

Yeah....that's right---not abandoned. All my writing time has been preoccupied with work for a while so I've been slow to get this out. Plus there was a rewrite. So yeah.....

Only 3 chapters left and one of them is coming Monday. So go back and read and get all caught up!

Argh. The new chapter is coming in the middle of the pre-Christmas rush, so I guess I'll have to set my VCR to tape it so I can watch it later.

Oh, wait.....

...Sorry, I'm mixing my medias up again. (But still looking forward to this, nevertheless.)

I read your intro way back when I first joined the site. Since then I've been meaning to get to the rest but haven't found the time.

Wow. Seriously this story is so good! This version of Frank is so much better and well thought out than the current Ultimate Punisher. I think I'll just erase all knowledge of his existence and replace him with your version. I also really like the references to Ultimate Secret and the current Ultimates 2 storylines. Great job! I look forward to more.

I read your intro way back when I first joined the site. Since then I've been meaning to get to the rest but haven't found the time.

Wow. Seriously this story is so good! This version of Frank is so much better and well thought out than the current Ultimate Punisher. I think I'll just erase all knowledge of his existence and replace him with your version. I also really like the references to Ultimate Secret and the current Ultimates 2 storylines. Great job! I look forward to more.

So yeah...like a month later and I still haven't posted anything.

BUT-----I will definitely be posting 2 chapters on Monday! I have all weekend free to fine tune the story and I'll be getting it out on Monday for sure.

castlebanner7ak0su.jpg

Office Work
Chapter 8

The bright morning sun pierced thru the drapes and hit Frank's eye. He began to crack open an eye only for it to be bombarded by sunlight. He rolled his head to the side and winced. Mornings. The worst part of the day. He rolled over and kissed his wife on the forehead.

"Mmmmm…morning Frank…." she moaned.

"Back at you Beautiful. I'm gonna go start some coffee. You want?"

"Yeah…sure. The vanilla mix this time please." she replied.

"Yeah…no problem. I'll start it and then hit the shower. You wanna join me?" Frank asked.

Erica smiled and just shrugged her shoulders sarcastically. "Maybe…"

"Well hot water in 5 if you're coming." he retorted.

Frank rolled outta bed and rolled his eyes. She wasn't coming and he knew it. It had been like that for a couple months now. He can even remember when the last time he saw her in anything less than a pair of boxers and t-shirt. He sighed and went downstairs to make the coffee and start the day.

It'd been 3 days since the attack and Castle had met with Fury. 3 days of him sitting at a desk and sifting thru countless files and rosters. 3 days of him having to deal with Agent Feister and her rambling mouth. 3 days of hell. There was a reason Frank did fieldwork. He wasn't cut out for office work. I mean "office" office work. It bugged him. The mundane drove him crazy. His only moments of zen came from the whirring and clicking sounds as he twirled his butterfly knife while taking a break from the record checking. No guns were allowed on this floor except to the authorized security guards. His gun and holster rest safely secured in his locker 3 floors down. He was in uniform….but he felt naked.

The investigation wasn't going as well as he hoped for either. There was so much data to sift thru that at times it seemed as if he was reading the same stuff over and over. Plus, there was only so much he could fit into his report. He had the answers. But they weren't allowed to be documented.

"An army of Ultimates….." he muttered to himself.

The idea shocked, sickened, and angered him all at once. The idea that Fury is building an army of super-soldiers all modeled after the Ultimates shocked him because it never really dawned him that a member of the group could actually die. I mean these guys were superheroes. Heroes don't die. They save the day and get the parade. He'd read the dossiers of each member. He knew what they were capable of. But the thought that a well paced bullet could be the end of Captain America---the patriotic icon that roused inspiration in the very depths of troops in their darkest moment. Despite all the times he's saved the day, it never dawned on him that he was as mortal as the next man. The fact remained---like Fury said…one day it'll all end for someone.

That sickening feeling in his gut was probably due to the scenarios he was running thru his head. Fury with an army of super-soldiers. Fury was probably the most powerful man on the planet. One would think that the President would stake such claim. But secretly, Fury held the power. Sure he worked for the President, but Fury had his hand on the most powerful weapon Earth housed---S.H.I.E.L.D. No other military organization on the planet commanded the resources and technology that S.H.I.E.L.D. laid claim to. At the blink of an eye Fury could order a mutiny and seize control of America and her forces. And who would be able to stop him?

Could that actually happen? Is that what Fury's planning? Why else would the operation be so secretive and not even have the President's knowledge or consent? Questions swirled around Frank's head. What if this is what Fury's intent is and he is the only one to know and question these actions? Would Frank be able to live with himself if all this happens and there was a point in time where Frank could've stopped him? Blow the whistle. Call the appropriate authorities. No. This was Fury we're talking about here. The man loved his country and would do anything to protect it. Even with all his power----he would never depose the government and turn himself into a dictator.

But what Frank really felt in all this was anger. It stemmed from jealousy and betrayal. Since joining S.H.I.E.L.D, all Frank could think of was that day when Fury would call for him and offer an invite to move up from shadow ops to the big boys. Join the Ultimates. The world's premiere super team. To be part of that team meant to be part of the elite. To be known as the best. But now it seemed as if Fury was throwing away the elitism of the team and turning every young Joe who laced up a pair of combat boots into the next Thor or Iron Man.

Frank felt betrayed. It was his dream for so long. He always thought that if he played by the rules and did as he was told…if he just played the game…that one day Fury would call for him. But it looks as if his dream was just that. A dream.

This was the maddening thoughts as Frank stood in the shower and leaned against the wall as he let the water wash down his back.

"FRANK…YOU ALMOST DONE IN THERE? I NEED TO GET READY FOR WORK TOO YA KNOW?!?!?" Erica yelled.

"Just a minute." he yelled back.

He glanced over at the shower clock and wiped the bit of steam off the window. He was running 20 minutes behind. The thought of being trapped in that special layer of hell had caused him to lag in his morning routine. Frank turned off the water and finished getting ready for work.

Beijing, China

A man sat behind a large desk and leaned back in his giant leather chair. He stared out his window and just admired the landscape. His office stood high above the hustle and bustle of the busy city below. He smiled and took a sip of brandy from the glass he was holding. His intercom buzzed.

"Sir---all the conferees are online and are ready to commence teleconference when you're ready." a woman said over the intercom.

"Thank you Xiou. I will take over from here."

"Yes sir. Please let me know if you need anything else." Xiou replied.

"I will, thank you. And hold all my calls and appointments for the next hour."

"Sir." she responded.

"Gentlemen----the pertinent data has been gathered and we have begun running expense totals for all the supplies needed. You should have the numbers by the close of business today." the man stated.

"Very good Chang. All is moving as planned. Like I said----patience."

"Thank you Hassaan. As I stated before, the numbers will be sent to you by the end of the day. We already have contacted the appropriate organizations in order to secure said products and supplies. I trust the funds of the members will be transferred into the Alpha account?" Chang stated.

"This is Pierre---I think I speak for all of us when I thank you for the hard work your team has done so far. The funds will deposit as soon as we receive the figures. But I'd like to bring another topic to light------one of my inside contacts has informed me that there is an investigation going on that could be detrimental to our plans…."

"I too have heard such info from my mole." exclaimed a man with a Russian accent.

"Well then Pierre…Pavalof…please share your intel." stated Hassaan.

"Well Hassaan, my informant tells me that there is an agent within S.H.I.E.L.D who is heading up this investigation. The same man who headed up the sweep operation at the factory. I also have it on good authority that this is the same man who killed Kristoff."

"Kristoff is dead?" questioned Chang.

"Yes. He was operating in America under the name of Thomas Mildenhall. He was at the factory after the explosion and was captured by this agent…..Agent….uh…..Agent Castle. Frank Castle."

"Well then Pierre---this Castle person seems to be just one man. There's no way he could uncover what we're planning. But…….as a precautionary measure---I want him gone." responded Hassaan.

"Of course, Hassaan. I will activate a cell after we conclude here and give them all the intel they require. By this time tomorrow---Castle will be no more and our plans will continue uninterrupted."

To Be Continued……………

supersbleedingpunisher6wb.gif

castlebanner7ak0su.jpg

Office Work
Chapter 9

Getting to Triskelion was always a hassle if you weren't getting picked up from official transport. It required you to go thru the heart of NY if you lived anywhere outside of Manhattan. Frank hated the city. Too many people. Too many security holes. Too many variables. But going thru the city did allow him to indulge in one vice.

Frank reached into his pocket and gave the attendant $5. The young girl flipped the lock of hair outta her eyes and handed Frank back his change. Frank chuckled to himself and tossed the change into the tip jar. He put away his wallet and moved aside. A few minutes later he grabbed his drink and stepped outside. As the door closed behind him, Frank took a sip of his drink and then looked up into the sky. A smirk came across Castle's face and he took another sip and threw up a wave.

"Man can't enjoy a frappucino in secrecy no more? Damn……"

Frank checked his watch and started walking thru to the sub station. His mind raced with the conflict of his report's contents. What in the world was gonna put in his report? Nothing he found out that was worth reporting could be reported…and what he could report wasn't worth reporting and inconclusive. It was a no win situation for him.

Frank continued the subway. He could see the entrance about 2 blocks away. He took another sip and a man passing by bumped into him.

"Pardon me." said Frank.

"No…my fault Agent Castle."

Frank's brow dropped in an instant. He turned around to see the man's face.

"How did you know my--"

As Frank turned around and began his question, in an instant, another man came up behind Frank and stabbed a syringe into Frank's neck. Before Frank could react and put up a defense, the assailant pushed down on the needle and injected they mysterious concoction into Frank. Almost instantaneously, everything around Frank became blurry.

Instinctively, Frank reached for his knife in the back of his belt. But one of the attackers grabbed his arm and punched him in the jaw. Onlookers merely screamed out for help and for someone to call 911. A van pulled up to the curb and opened it's side door. The 2 assailants threw a couple more punches to Frank and threw him into the back of the van and they sped off around the corner. Frank tried his best to put up a fight. But when he realized that there was no way he could fight back he tried his best to focus on the movement of the van. He counted his body shifting weight to the right twice, indicating that they've made 2 lefts from where he was attacked. The van then turned right.

The drug began hit his bloodstream and really kicked the disorientation into overdrive. He tried to maintain focus but the drug had already done its job. Everything went from blurry and slow-motion to black.

Tazmir, Russia
An old elegant phone rang in the corner. The man glanced over at the phone and sighed. The phone rang again. He sighed again and got up from his desk. The phone continued to ring and the man grumbled something under his breath.

"Da?" the man answered.

"It's done. We have him." the voice on the other responded.

"Da?"

"Pavalof---what---"

"DO NOT SAY MY NAME YOU IMBECILE! You do not know who is listening. It is not safe to talk on this line."

"Sorry, sir. We have the target. What do you want us to do with him?" asked the man.

"Hmmm. Normally…..I'd say kill him. But we do not know what he knows or who he's told this info to. Question him. Find out what he knows and who he's reported to. Then kill him." said Pavalof.

"It will be done sir."

"Report back to me with answers as soon as you have 'em."

"Sir."

A small light shine above. Like a distant light at the end of a tunnel. Frank struggled to focus. The world began to slowly become sharp. Everything started to come into focus. The blurry distant light began to widen and stretch. It revealed itself to be a long fluorescent light bulb across the ceiling. His throat felt sore. Cottonmouth had set in and even his grunt and moan felt like he was swallowing glass.

"Ah, Agent Castle….so good of you to join us today. I apologize for the lengthen grogginess. For a man your size we had to up the dosage. Apparently we used a bit too much. Oh well. So…are you with us now or should I wait a bit longer?"

"How about we skip the pillow talk?" replied Frank.

"It's for the best. You're not my type anyways."
The shadowy man turned his head and nodded. A door opened in the distance and a large man stepped thru. He began to slowly make his way over to Frank and started cracking his knuckles. Castle was still getting adjusted to his surroundings as some things were still a little fuzzy…but there was one thing about the man that Frank could see right off that bat. The big man's smile.

"****…….this is gonna hurt ain't it?" joked Frank.

"Indeed Castle. Just so you have an idea of how we're gonna begin…allow me to demonstrate level 1 of the pain chart. For future references---you may call me Ivan. My burly associate here is simple named 'The Russian'. Russian---if you please?"

WHACK!

The sound echoed thru the empty space as The Russian planted his ham hock of a fist on Frank's jaw.

"Now…Castle. I know that you are trained to withstand feeble interrogation tactics like hard punches. But that was just so you know where we're beginning here. I bear no ill will towards you. Simply tell us what we want to know and I inject you with the same depressant that rendered you unconscious before and we'll drop you off in an alley around the same block we grabbed you. We get what we want---you get to see your wife and child again. It really is a win/win situation here." said Ivan.

Frank shook his head and spit out the small bit of blood building up in his mouth.

"I figured that would be your response. But in all fairness….I guess it's my fault. I really should've told you what it is we want. I mean after all----how can you give an answer when you don't even know the question? We know that you are heading up the investigation on the factory explosion last week. So tell me----what do you know about the contents of the factory….and who have you told?" questioned Ivan.

"You think big boy broke his hand on my jaw back there?" Frank replied snarkishly.

Ivan nodded. The Russian stepped forward and planted another punch to Castle's jaw. He quickly followed it up with another punch to the stomach.

Frank grimaced with each blow.

"Anything?" inquired Ivan.

Frank spit out more blood and smiled. His teeth stained pink from the crimson blood.

Ivan nodded again and The Russian lurched forward and beat on Frank again.

"Wait—wait—wait! Ok…stop!" Frank interrupted.

"Go on Agent Castle…"

"Ok…this is getting us nowhere. How about you leave and me and Baby Huey here to get to know each other a little better?" grunted Frank.

"I don't get the joke Castle."

"Of course not Ivan. It's an old reference to a comi---screw it. The joke isn't funny if you have to explain it. How about you go **** yourself and take Big Baby here with ya. Better yet---how about you have him have a swig at you. You look like you might like it." replied Castle.

Ivan sneered and backhanded Castle across the face.

"Yep…….I knew it. Men punch. Fairies slap."

"Ok Castle. You want to play games…we'll play games. I'm gonna step out for a bit. I'll leave you and my associate here to get better acquainted. When I come back...we'll see if you're in a sharing mood. If not…I'll take over the pain portion of little adventure."

Ivan stepped outta the light and disappeared into the shadows. Frank watched as he left, hoping to see a little bit of the outside or something to help him get his bearings and figure out where he was.

As the door opened in the distance the bright light flooded the door. Frank tried to focus on what was on the other side but was interrupted when The Russian's fist found the side of his face again.

Frank shook his head groggily and looked up at the giant man before him.

"Well…here we are at the dance Svetlana. You wanna lead or should I?" Frank joked.

To Be Continued……………

Last edited:
Sweet. I thought this was only going to be a six part story? Since your on chapter eight I must have hit my head or something. Maybe I just got confused. Either way I'm glad it's continuing, keep it up.

Is Ultimates 2 #13 connected to your ideas for this story in anyway?

Edit: Just read chapter nine. Another good one.

"Man can't enjoy a frappucino in secrecy no more? Damn……" (good stuff made me laugh)

How about you leave and me and Baby Huey here to get to know each other a little better?" (this made me laugh as well)

Last edited:
Sweet. I thought this was only going to be a six part story? Since your on chapter eight I must have hit my head or something. Maybe I just got confused. Either way I'm glad it's continuing, keep it up.

No. You just got a little confused. I said on page one that it wasn't gonna be a 6-parter but instead a bit longer.

Is Ultimates 2 #13 connected to your ideas for this story in anyway?

If you read carefully....you'll see that I've incorporated ideas and stories not only from Ultimates' current arc, but I've included aspects from Ultimates Annuals, as well as the "Tomorrow Men" novel.

In case anyone hasn't figured it out by now.....

This is a small mini tie-in/prequel to the Ultimates arc going on right now.

Also.....I know I said earlier that there was only 3 issues left and I just put up 2. But I think I might have to extend this out to maybe 2 (possibly 3 more issues). Depends on how the details come to me. I have the general ending outlined.....now it just depends on the details.

Interesting story, in the middle it's tough to read, just for the fact you end up hating the main character, or at least I did. It's tough to keep someone interested reading about someone you hate, but in the later half, when you see his wife and how bad his home life is, you begin to route for the character.

One problem in your earlier chapters that you do better with later on is over description. You descripe things too much at points, which slow down the reading. But, that does improve later on.

castlebanner7ak0su.jpg

Office Work
Chapter 10

They say that you need to transport yourself to somewhere else during moments of intense trauma. Like when you get into a car accident and you see the person next to you impaled from a piece of the door. Send yourself somewhere else in your mind and the event won't be as traumatic.

It's kinda hard to do that when every time you almost get to that far away place someone has broken your rib and it digs into your lung. Each breath feels like it's killing you. And once you manage to deal with the pain and are able to press on and push yourself to that distant place in your mind…..there's always that guy that's there to punch you in the jaw.

God that sucks.

Frank's mouth filled with blood. He turned his head slightly to spit. As he opened his mouth he felt a click in his left cheek.

"Yep…that's broken. 4th time that's happened too. I guess if I get outta this ordeal alive---I can cross gum off the list of things I'll ever have again." Frank said.

"Heh. Silly American soldier man likes to make jokes with broken mouth. I'll fix." said The Russian.

The Russian reached down and grabbed Frank's jaw. Frank tried to squirm outta his grip, but The Russian clamped his giant hands down and quickly snapped Frank's jaw back into place.

"Da. See? I fix." exclaimed The Russian.

Frank rotated his jaw in a circular motion and gritted his teeth as the muscles in his jaw began to relax again.

"Heh. I guess you did. I suppose I should say----"

WHACK!

Before Frank could finish his sentence, The Russian swung his monstrous fist across the side of Frank's face.

"Wunohwawitch! You wixed my waw only to bwake it awain!?!?!" Frank screamed.

The Russian reached down and adjusted Frank's jaw again. After he finished The Russian just chuckled and cracked his knuckles.

"Oww…that's just mean!" Frank joked.

"I see you will not break easily comrade. Is good for me….bad for you. This I will enjoy." Replied The Russian.

"I just want you to know I am really upset right now…" Frank began, "…normally I insist someone at least buy me dinner and take me to a movie before I let them get this far on the first date."

Frank sighed deeply and spit out a little more blood. The Russian smiled and kicked Frank in the chest. The kick knocked Frank over and as the sound of the crash echoed thru the dark room, Frank clearly heard a snap. He smiled.

The Russian reached down and picked up the chair and set Frank back up for more punishment. As The Russian checked Frank's bonds, Frank spit in his face. The Russian reached up and wiped the spittle from his face. He looked at Frank dead in the eyes and licked his fingers clean and smiled.

"Ugh…that's just disgusting. Seriously. I'll bet that's not the only body fluids you swallow is Natalia?"

The Russian growled and kicked Frank in the chest again. The chair toppled again. And again Frank heard a snap. And again The Russian set Frank back up.

"Yep. And you know what? I'll bet that despite your bear-ish exterior…you and Dr.No in there are secret lovers. That's so gay. And I bet to top off the weirdness of it all….you're the catcher. What a Sally!"

A giant punch to the stomach and another kick. Another snap.

"Ok…last round." Frank thought.

"You are lucky little man. If not for Doctor wanting info you have…I would've killed you long ago. When he comes back…you will talk. Or you will die." warned The Russian.

"Outstanding. You know…the irony isn't lost on me." Frank replied.

"What irony?" inquired The Russian.

"Well me being a tough-as-nails-man's man……and being killed by a giant fa---"

The Russian screamed and knocked Frank to the floor again.

SNAP!

This was it! The moment Frank was waiting for. After a couple rounds of goading The Russian on…the big idiot fell for some of the weakest reverse-psychology Frank had ever used. In the giant's rage he failed to recognize that each time he knocked Frank to the ground, the arm on Frank's chair was being broken bit by bit. This last tumble caused the back of the chair's arm to break off completely.

Frank played the break off smoothly and gripped a splintered piece in his hand. As The Russian reached down to pick Frank up, Castle flipped the wooden shard around and thrust the pointy end into The Russian's throat. The Russian tried to scream…but his blood filled esophagus could only emit a low gurgle sound. The giant staggered back and tried to gain his composure. Frank propped himself up, still in the chair and hopped back towards the wall.

He flung himself against the wall backwards and shattered the rest of the chair. He stood up and ran to tackle The Russian. The Russian tried to stop him, but one of his hands was tied up trying to brace himself from falling. The 2 men tumbled to the ground and Frank climbed on top. Frank threw a couple of fists into the colossus' ribs and then as soon The Russian instinctively moved his arm to protect his ribs, Castle threw all of his weight into a giant elbow across The Russian's jaw.

Frank heard the crack.

"That **** ain't so funny now is it?" he mocked.

The Russian groaned and Frank immediately shoved the piece of wood into The Russian's throat even deeper. The Russian let out a reflexive groan/gurgle and then went limp.

Frank stumbled to his feet and propped himself up with support from the table. He groaned and pulled out a couple shards of wood from his side. He glanced down at the table and tried to decide what would be his weapon of choice to help him get outta here.

Then he saw it. The perfect weapon. Glistening in the light.

As he struggled to get to his feet he heard footsteps drawing closer from the next room. Ivan was coming back. Frank tried to get to the shadows to hide but stumbled as he tried to take his first step. Apparently he dislocated his knee in the tumble with the fallen giant at his feet.

The footsteps grew louder. Frank reached down and braced his leg with both arms and twisted. He screamed as he popped his knee back into place.

"No need to keep it quiet. Ivan's expecting to hear me screaming anyways. Block out the pain. Focus on the target. Visualize the goal. Press." Frank thought to himself.

He took a deep breath and practically threw himself behind the door. He leaned against the wall and tried to catch his breath. His whole body felt like it was on fire but he forced himself to push past the pain. As he calmed himself everything seemed to begin to slow down. The door handle began to jiggle and slowly turn. He took another deep breath and readied the weapon in his hand. The door began to open and Ivan began to step thru it.

"I hope we are feeling more cooperative Agent Castle. I am told that your wife is planning on making meatloaf for dinner. Be a shame for you to miss that, eh comrade?" Ivan joked as he stepped thru the door.

Frank reached out and grabbed Ivan's left arm and twisted it behind his back. Without missing a single beat----Castle kicked the back of Ivan's left knee, dropping the villain to his knees. Frank quickly plunged his weapon into the side of Ivan's neck.

"Ivan---I just plunged an empty syringe into your neck. Well…not exactly empty. It is filled with air. I have yet to push it in yet. You can now either tell me what is going on---complete with who you're working for and where the **** I am exactly…..or I can follow thru with your shot? If you're a good boy I promise there's a lollypop afterwards."

"Nyet. I will tell you nothing. I needed answers from you…but I will not be the last to come for you. There will be more. And next time we won't stop with just you. We will come for your family, friends----" Ivan protested.

"Ok…that's enough outta you."

Frank pushed the needle into his neck further and injected the air into Ivan's veins.

Ivan dropped to the ground and began to convulse.

"I swear…bad guys always think they're so tough. If they're so bad-ass…..why are they ones who always die?" questioned Frank.

Frank fell back and leaned against the wall. He began to breathe deep. More questions to what the hell was going on. He glanced over at the table at all the other instruments of pain. Answers later….escape now.

To Be Continued……………

castlebanner7ak0su.jpg

Office Work
Chapter 11

Frank remained cautious to control his breathing as he crept down the corridor. Ivan didn't have any kind of firearms in the interrogation room or in the other rooms Frank had cleared. That sucked. All that he could find was a couple of knives and some other hardware items used in standard torture methods. Amateur stuff too. Items like pliers, corkscrews, syringes, hammers. Stuff like that.

"What the hell kind of movies these guys been watching?" Frank thought.

All this meant was that he was gonna have to do this the old fashioned way.

Room by room, Frank inspected and cleared. Being sure to carefully examine the rooms for any clues as to his location and if there was anything useful he could utilize in his escape. He'd been fortunate so far. Only ran into 2 other guards here. Nothing he couldn't handle. Especially with the element of surprise. As far as they were concerned…he was secured and being put thru some excruciating pain at the moment. This meant they weren't really on high alert. That lull in situational awareness suited Frank just fine since they weren't on the lookout to prevent their necks getting snapped.

Castle finally found a stairwell. It looked to be that he was about 4 levels down. Down from where though? Only way to answer that was to go up.

Frank got to the top of the stairwell without any resistance. When he opened the door he was blinded. The sun from the outside overwhelmed his eyes and for a brief moment he was blind.

In that brief moment of blindness, Frank felt a sharp pull in his left shoulder. He knew what it was immediately. Wasn't the first time a bullet jerked his body back. He dropped to the ground and rolled behind the wall. His eyes were adjusting to the light and he could see his surroundings. Several more bullets hit the wall he was hiding behind. He knew they couldn't see him, so right off the bat he knew this was merely suppressive fire. Meant to pin him down while someone else flanked him.

Frank crept around to the other side of the wall. More bullets from where he was crouched.

"Suppressive fire---third set of rounds too…" Frank thought. "That means the other should be coming 'round the bend…..right……about……NOW!"

As Frank finished the last word he whipped around the corner and surprised the other guard with chop to the neck as he pushed the gun down towards the ground. The guard fell to the ground instantly as Frank disarmed him took his gun. He fired 3 shots into the guard and then took cover again. The other shots had ceased so Frank knew that the guard was on his way to investigate. Frank grabbed the dead body at his feet and threw him around the corner. The anxious guard quickly fired several shots into his former comrade.

"Rank amateurs. How the hell did they capture me? But now I know where you're at…now I just gotta get to you." Frank asked aloud.

Frank leaned against the wall and quickly ran thru scenarios in his mind. It only took him about 5 seconds to pick a plan. He figured that if the guards were that inexperienced to try and trap him with that lame flanking move---which the guard would expect him to double around and attack him from the corner the guard himself just came around. Frank opted to just come around the corner he was at already and catch him off-guard.

His plan worked. He caught the guard by surprise and fired 3 more shots into the guard. Frank was in the clear now. The only problem was that he now had no clue as to where the hell he was.

Triskelion

"ConOps---report! What's the status of Punisher?" asked Fury.

"Sir---still no update." replied the operator.

"What do you mean no update? Did you activate the GP Molar?" Fury snipped back.

"Yes sir. Still nothing. Maybe Richard's tech is broken?"

"Negative---we're talking about some GPS equipment from a kid who killed Gah Lak Tus and created a helmet that turns thoughts into reality. There's no way his stuff is broken." Fury responded.

"Yes sir." Replied the operator.

"Tell SatImage that I want playback from his last known location and 15 mile radius coverage. There's no way he could've disappeared without leaving some kinda trace. And tell them Nick Fury wanted it yesterday!"

"And who should we contact to inform them that you've started referring to yourself in 3rd person, sir?"

"What did you just say soldier?"

"Sorry sir. It's just that we've been searching for Agent Castle for the last 15 hours and we're all feeling a bit tired and irritated. My apologies….I was outta line." the operator tech responded humbly.

"Just mind what you say from now on. And where the hell is my SatImage?!?!?"

Tazmir, Russia

"Nikolai, when was the last time we've heard from Ivan and his status with the SHIELD agent?"

"It's been 3 days General Pavalof. And we've not been able to contact him or any of his cell members." said Capt Ditkvo.

"Hmmm…this is most worrisome. Most worrisome indeed. Without word from Ivan, we are not certain of SHIELD's awareness of our plans. Any word from our other comrades?" General Pavalof inquired.

"Our contacts in China have suggested that we move up the plans and execute early. The members in the Middle East agree as well. According to our mole in SHIELD---they are still no more aware of our plans than they were before. My advice General, is that we comply and give the word to proceed with the attack early and mobilize now."

"Normally I'd decline…but our plans could be compromised and the element of surprise would be lost should we wait any longer. Have the Chinese address the tissue deterioration problem with the powers suits?" Pavalof responded.

"They have made progress but not much. The suit's power heats the body core up too rapidly. Once the suit is activated we're only looking at 5 hours max usage. After that the body will begin to decompose and they'll be of no use to us."

"Very well. They were expendable anyways. They will die knowing they changed the world for the better. Tell our contacts to deploy now. They need to be in position by 0900 tomorrow. The attack will commence 5 minutes after all the pieces are in place."

"Yes General!"

"It is time they learned their lesson. America falls tomorrow."

Unknown Location

Frank dragged himself down the road. His body was racked. He'd been traveling for 4 days without any real sign of where he was. At least he knew he was in America still. That counted for something.

4 days of dragging his broken body thru the wilderness. Bullet hole in his shoulder, hurt knee that was working on borrowed time, broken ribs poking his lung with each breath, gaping wound in his side from where the chair pierced him. It wasn't until earlier this morning that he found a road. Follow a road long enough and it'll lead you somewhere.

After what seemed to be an eternity, Frank finally came across a small town.

As he walked down the street several people ran in fear of his bloodied body. All of a sudden a cop car came up on him.

"Hey buddy…you need some assistance?" the cop asked.

"No…I like to walk down the road with a broken body for fun. You guys got Laser Tag here?" Frank replied.

"Ok fella…I'm not big on lip here. So you're gonna have to come with me." the cop snidely responded.

"My name is Special Agent Frank Castle. I'm an agent of SHIELD. You heard of them before?"

"That's them Captain America boys ain't it?"

"Yeah…that's them. Listen…my badge and ID has been stolen. Take me to your station and let me use your phone. I can get someone who can verify who I am." Frank said.

"Ok…but you're gonna have to ride in the back of the car." the cop muttered.

"Whatever. Just do it."

A couple hours later….

A helicopter descended on the open field. The giant blades blew debris everywhere.

The sheriff along with some bystanders looked on in awe.

"I take it you boys are from SHIELD? You're here for the big fella back at HQ?" the sheriff inquired.

"Sir, Agent Campbell. SHIELD. Where is Agent Castle?"

"Told ya…back at HQ."

"Take me to him. Now."

At the HQ Station…
"Agent Castle…Agent Campbell. We're here to med-evac you back to Triskellion. Your family is there waiting to see you as well."

"It about time Jr. Get me home." Frank replied.

He sighed deeply.

Back at Triskellion Medical Quarters, Castle lay there in the bed. The IV drip in his arm made him forget all about the pain in his side.

"Agent Castle?" a voice rang out thru the haziness.

"Yeah?" Frank responded.

"Sir…I'm Dr.Turincs. I'll be your physician during the duration of your stay here."

"My family? My wife?" Frank asked.

"They were here earlier. We had some security agents escort them home to grab a few comforts. They'll be back here as soon as possible." Dr.Turincs explained.

"Good. So what's the damage report on me? What's busted and how long will it take to fix?"

"Well…anyone else might've been dead by now. I gotta say…I'm impressed. Your conditioning has paid off. The nurse will be by later when your family gets back to go over your injuries and what they can do to help with recovery. We don't expect you to be out of commission for any longer than 3 months."

"Ugh…downtime. My kryptonite." Frank said disgusted.

"Well…given what you've been thru…I'd think a vacation was due. Don't worry---we've got plenty of physical thera---"

KZZZZZZT! The building hummed a low buzz as the power died.

"Uh…Doc…why'd the power just go out?"

"I'm not sure. But why'd it get so dark all of a sudden?" Dr.Turincs responded.

Frank turned his head and looked out the window. A giant shadow engulfed the view.

"Dear God…" Frank exclaimed.

End.

Good stuff. I have my reservations about a Punisher origins story that doesn't involve his family dying, but it was quite entertaining.

Finally read this. The shadow is the attack on the Trisk in U2, right?

Yep.

When I started writing this U2 was still ongoing and since I didn't know how it would end, I wanted to have an ominous open ending.

I thought that the attack on Triskellion was the perfect opening. Who's to say that Frank didn't survive?

Latest posts

Back