Ultimate Runaways

Zombipanda

My Boom-Boom's mostly gay
So, I had an idea for an Ultimate version of Runaways, and I have to head out to meet a customer soon, but I thought I'd put a blueprint down here first, because it really is a *****in' idea. Well, it was originally supposed to be a non-comic story that's sort of the Breakfast Club Meets Cthulhu, but it was easy to tailor to fit in a comic book universe.

Set in LA, far away from all the superheroes, it takes a panorama view of the supernatural in the universe. Eight children discover that their parents are sinister, otherworldly creatures with designs to recreate Los Angeles in their image, by reawakening it as the mythic Amazonian island of Califia. Seven families of three and one orphan makes 22 characters, who coincide with the 22 Major Arcana of the Tarot. Eventually, the kids meet up and challenge their folks. I'm gonna put down the character seeds and leave it at that for now (maybe for good).

Kallista Dean - daughter of a pair of legendary Hollywood stars, she's named after the nymph Callisto, who was turned into a bear by the jealous Hera and finally shot by her son (The golden bear, incidentally, is a legendary creature in the old American west, and the mascot of UC Berkeley). What she thinks are her parents are really just a single facet of their true selves - vast, wild, imperial Dream-Royals in the manner of the Fair Folk. She rarely speaks, after discovering the tendency her words have of coming to life.

Chase Stone - son of a cunning adventurer who's traveled the world on his wits alone. An old man cast as a sort of older, abusive John Constantine, sick of the fact that for all his adventures he's living with his punk delinquent son in a single-wide trailer. Chase is modeled on Bender from the Breakfast Club, and gets his hands on a few treasures of his father's, namely a half pack of Slow Burn cigarettes - time slows to a crawl around the smoker as long as the cancer stick is still burning.

Xxvvnn - a Chitauri youth that escaped from his people during the maturation process, in which the bio-mechanical systems of the Chitauri are interfaced to the slave programming of the trans-dimensional Queen entity.

Alexander Wilde - a scrawny rich kid obsessed with stage magic, his parents are from Old American money and affiliated with the Hellfire Club, a Hermetic Order steeped in Greco-Egyptian mysticism. As a part of their mystical pacts, the parents can assume the form of great, violent cats. Their son can turn into a mouse, and work sleight-of-hand magic.

Nicoletta Morozov - Princess to the LA Russian crime family. Her parents are Russian mystics who rule over the LA underworld. More importantly, her father is the Czar of the Vorovskoy Mir (a term which in general means "The Thief's World", but in this context, refers to the control of the immigration of various spirits and supernatural entities into the city.

Gertrude Yorkes - (Who's name would be changed when I found a suitable Korean substitute) A Korean-American. Her parents are scientific researchers doing studies into an alien proto-god of predation known as The Brood. A hunter protocol from the entity ends up bonding itself to Gertrude's shadow. They're also secretly the leaders of a Korean terrorist death cult pegged as the Serpent Society.

There'd be a couple more leads, but I need to bounce.

Last edited:
This is really weird. But it's a good weird. I would definitely read it. Are the remaining characters going to be original characters, or perhaps someone like Victor?

This is really weird. But it's a good weird. I would definitely read it. Are the remaining characters going to be original characters, or perhaps someone like Victor?

I'm trying to find a way to marry the concepts for the other characters (a Germanic folk hero and a keeper of hidden secrets) to loosely match Victor and Molly. A pair of hired killers named Sister Morphine and Cousin Cocaine would replace Cloak and Dagger.

Last edited:
This is a real minor throwaway villain BUT, have you read the arc of Runaways where for like five pages they fight these ugly werewolftype parody creature things, I think they could be introduced as literally, sinister werewolves, in the style of those that appeared in, I think, Uncanny X-Men, where they were like, wolves in human clothes, permanently.

Just a thought.

This is a real minor throwaway villain BUT, have you read the arc of Runaways where for like five pages they fight these ugly werewolftype parody creature things, I think they could be introduced as literally, sinister werewolves, in the style of those that appeared in, I think, Uncanny X-Men, where they were like, wolves in human clothes, permanently.

Just a thought.

?

Your suggestion is werewolves?

Anyway, the more and more I elaborate on it, the less and less like Runaways it is, 'cuz, that's not initially what it was intended to be.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back