Ultimate Scarlet Witch: the Ultimate power?

UltimateScarletWitch said:
Hi!
I think that Ultimate Scarlet Witch would easily beat Proteus. I think it would have made for an interesting story if the two of them had fought it out and warped reality as we know it.

Lol. "Easily beaten" rarely produce an interesting story.

But I've got to disagree here. If Wanda could do half of what Proteus did in his short rampage, there wouldn't be much need to send anyone else on any Ultimate Mission.

---

I don't read anything Marvel that isn't Ultimate Universe (But I read everything UU). So I don't know much about 616 Wanda. But I'm gonna go on a limb and say that the restrictions to Ultimate Wanda's powers are as follow :

1 - Mass : She can only affect so much. She was shown to be worried at having to dispose of all those missiles so we can assume that she was strecthing her abilities and this is close to her maximum.

2 - Targeting : She's not like Xavier or Magneto. She seems to need to target a beam of "probability energy" (look, I'm making this up as I go along, okay) like Cyclops or Havok. And therefore she needs to hit the target to affect it. That's a serious limitation because some opponents are a lot harder to target than others.

I'm guessing that a match up like Scarlet Witch VS Spider man would go badly for wanda because Spider-Man is notoriously hard to tag with any ranged attack, for example. Idem for her brother. Scarlet Witch VS Blob or Juggernaut ought to be fairly easy for Wanda on the other hand.

As an addendum, I think she needs to point at the target with her hand to fire off her power. I've never seen her affecting anything any other way. That means grabbing her arms like Colossus did in UXM 64 is an effective way to counter her.

3 - Charging up: This is less solid, but we've seen hints that she can't whip up her beam at the speed of tought. She is often drawn first gathering energies and then releasing them, such as in the 4th page of UXM 62 (Same page from which our Scarlet poster above takes her very nice signature, btw).

It could also be argued that Havok outdrew her in last issue for example. We see her gathering energies but Havok blast her before she releases. Of course, with Colosssus holding her, this is hardly definitive proof.

4 - Duration : We have hints that her ability to transform something isn't a permenant effect. Fury, on page 5 of UXM 62 says he will pick wanda and longshot "before the Hex wears off"

So she can moves stuff around (including herself) and transform it but the later is probably not permanent. I don't think she can destroy stuff, just alter its state.

-------

If most of those restrictions hold, this would explain why she didn't do much while fighting Thor. From a long distance it's hard to tag a moving target with a power that needs charging up while dozens of friendlies are moving in and out of the line of fire. And if she got closer for a better shot, well Thor seemed mighty good with these lightnings bolt. If he can tag Quicksilver, he can tag Scarlet Witch anytime she gets too close for confort.

Still a very powerful character, but not out of control.

Last edited:
You guys are looking at it like she's only mega powerful in Ultimate. Who just transformed the ENTIRE UNIVERSE on her own in 616?

Good Lord. Can these two just get their own thread already?

As for SW herself, I've never ever liked the character. Mixing mutants with magic in the MU, and now having her with completely undefined powers in the UU; either way, she's far too powerful. And look at poor Pietro, what can he do compared to his hyper powered sister? Run fast. Christ, even I can run fast if someone dangles a carrot on a stick in front of me.

Fuzzy Birds said:
And look at poor Pietro, what can he do compared to his hyper powered sister? Run fast.

True. But if they were fighting a duel (and Quicksilver decided to hurt his sister, which seems to be a stretch), I would lay good money that Pietro could punch her out before she does anything.

Power is relative, you know? In super hero world, it's often a rock, paper and scisor deal. Xavier can be argued to be the most powerful mutant in the world... until he faces an opponent immune to psychic power. Then, even a thug can toss him down the stair, as we saw. But Sinister would have had his tushy kicked by Storm (She'd have flew out of reach and blast the idiot with lightning and hail all day if she had to). But Xavier can shut Storm out in a blink of an eye. See what I mean?

Wanda is strong, but she needs the team. Alone there are too many scenarios where she get shut out swiftly.

---

EDIT : I'm rereading Tommorrow people. When Wolverine is driving away with the president's daughter in Croatia, Scarlet Witch is on his tail and trying to tag him with an Hex but she can't get a lock on him.

Should have remembered that. So it's official, Scarlet Witch powers are bad *** but she needs to hit her target for it to worlk and she's not exactly a crack shot. Cyclop is shown missing a lot less often than she is, for example.

Last edited:
Fuzzy Birds said:
Good Lord. Can these two just get their own thread already?

As for SW herself, I've never ever liked the character. Mixing mutants with magic in the MU, and now having her with completely undefined powers in the UU; either way, she's far too powerful. And look at poor Pietro, what can he do compared to his hyper powered sister? Run fast. Christ, even I can run fast if someone dangles a carrot on a stick in front of me.

Hey HEY! Did you see Who was the only guy who get to Thor's belt?
Did you see HoM just before he was beaten by 4 tons of metal? He punched everyone, even Wolverine!!!
And if you slow down any sattelite pictures you will see that he saved all Ultimate ***es.

I'm tired of babying this thread - stay on topic.

Scarlet Witch's Powers????

Ok....so I've been pretty bored lately so I've been going back thru my comics just trying to pick up little clues as to upcoming theories. One question continues to nag the buhjeebuses outta me.....

What exactly is Wanda's power???

I mean in one issue her power is altering probability. In another she can warp reality. What's the deal? Does she do both or are her powers based on whatever is convienient for the writer?

Another question is---what is up with her and Quicksilver's incestuous-like relationship? It's just creepy.

Latest posts

Back