Ultimate Secret #4 (Spoilers)

Bass said:
While I love the whole idea of Hawkeye hating the rest of the n00bs, I was wound up at how unprofessional he appeared. He seemed less professional than all the people he called unprofessional. But then, maybe that's the point.

Which part(s) seemed unprofessional?

Bass said:
While I love the whole idea of Hawkeye hating the rest of the n00bs, I was wound up at how unprofessional he appeared. He seemed less professional than all the people he called unprofessional. But then, maybe that's the point.

? I disagree. How did he come off as unprofessional? He was completely 5000% soldier.

TheManWithoutFear said:
? I disagree. How did he come off as unprofessional? He was completely 5000% soldier.
I'd say the negatives in his behavior were being inflexible and TOO by-the-book. It seems like an experienced field ops agent would learn to use the assets of his team better, rather than just shouting at them. On the other hand, I doubt the his field teams have ever consisted of a stretchy guy, an alien in a monkey suit and a woman who can turn invisible and project force fields. So he's not handling it as well as he could.

Hawkeye has the movie role of the cop who catches the film's hero in the warehouse and makes stop disarming the McGuffin and makes him put his hands up, and the hero is trying to explain how it looks odd, but really it's okay and unless the cop lets him go right now, then entire planet will explode (or whatever. You get the idea.) You, the audience, KNOW the hero is telling the truth and are annoyed with the stupid cop for stopping the hero. Whereas what the cop is doing is actually extremely reasonable, given the circumstance.

No one gets what I'd call terrible deep characterization here, everyone pretty much acts like a stock sci-fi movie character (except Sue, maybe), but for light 'n' fluffy (ignoring all the dead aliens), it's all pretty amusing.

Last edited:
Rhyo said:
And Stark was absolutely useless - what was the point of even having him on board? Completely ineffectual and not particularly in character. I liked him better last issue, hitting on Sue and playing science buddies with Reed and Marvel.

Even Hawkeye agrees with you in this issue. Although basically Iron Man's task here is simply to have the Gah Lak Tus information downloaded onto whatever database that is built into his suit. He was still pretty lazy though, virtually not doing anything.

Last edited:
Rhyo said:
I'd say the negatives in his behavior were being inflexible and TOO by-the-book. It seems like an experienced field ops agent would learn to use the assets of his team better, rather than just shouting at them. On the other hand, I doubt the his field teams have ever consisted of a stretchy guy, an alien in a monkey suit and a woman who can turn invisible and project force fields. So he's not handling it as well as he could.

Hawkeye has the movie role of the cop who catches the film's hero in the warehouse and makes stop disarming the McGuffin and makes him put his hands up, and the hero is trying to explain how it looks odd, but really it's okay and unless the cop lets him go right now, then entire planet will explode (or whatever. You get the idea.) You, the audience, KNOW the hero is telling the truth and are annoyed with the stupid cop for stopping the hero. Whereas what the cop is doing is actually extremely reasonable, given the circumstance.

No one gets what I'd call terrible deep characterization here, everyone pretty much acts like a stock sci-fi movie character (except Sue, maybe), but for light 'n' fluffy (ignoring all the dead aliens), it's all pretty amusing.

I think Rhyo just stuffed you. This was my problem with him, too, ,actually. I thought Ellis just tried to set the Fantastic Four apart from the Ultimates.

When I said "unprofessional" I felt that considering he's a soldier in a life or death situation, he'd give his orders, and if they don't do it, he'd just carry on and do the job. Instead, he stopped every 10 seconds to complain which I felt was very unprofessional. That's all.

Bass said:
When I said "unprofessional" I felt that considering he's a soldier in a life or death situation, he'd give his orders, and if they don't do it, he'd just carry on and do the job. Instead, he stopped every 10 seconds to complain which I felt was very unprofessional. That's all.
Stick it to 'em, Bass!

I didn't it mean it that way...

Bass said:
Wait... I thought he was the guy who kept trying to push the mission without delays.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Wait... I thought he was the guy who kept trying to push the mission without delays.

Hawkeye was trying to avoid delays. What I don't get is why he couldn't just try to get along. Fury obviously recruited the Fantastic Four for a reason... They're capable, Hawkeye, is what I have to say!

"they're capable"

I love the mindset us comic book geeks have that just because a kid is powered up means they're "Capable". Am I the only one who sees this is exactly where Hawkeye is coming from? He's babysitting until the kids prove themselves and just because they have powers doesn't mean he's going to give up his position as group leader. He knows what the mission is and wanted to get it done. He made a minor mistake trying to leave Mar-vell behind which was probably a nod to show that military types are dickheads but still it was just a mistake with him knowing there wasn't a lot of time with a ground battle happening on Earth and them being up in space on some alien mothership (which is unusual no matter who you are in the UU). He wanted things done and he wanted them done quickly like he was trained to do.

Peter Parker, Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben Grimm are not ready to lead full scale defensives against Galactus. Hawkeye gets my vote over them.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Am I the only one who sees this is exactly where Hawkeye is coming from?

No, not at all. I've argued a similar arguement here many times - not all fights are won with strength (or powers).

UltimateE said:
No, not at all. I've argued a similar arguement here many times - not all fights are won with strength (or powers).
Truth and I wish this was explored more. In USM I was very happy with Fury's reactions and dealing with Peter but somehow it turned from Nick Fury being the one person in the UU who understood everything there was to understand about what was going on was turned into someone the audience has branded a jerk. Personally I want Peter to look at Fury and say, "you know what. I shouldn't have these powers. I'm just a kid. Maybe someone else would abuse them more than I would but I'm definitely not 'the best man' for the job." Instead we get. I have these powers, they're mine, I'm the only one who can have them because it's destiny. Which is a old tale that's been told in nearly every story imagineable.

I'm off topic but you get my drift.

TheManWithoutFear said:
He's babysitting until the kids prove themselves and just because they have powers doesn't mean he's going to give up his position as group leader. He knows what the mission is and wanted to get it done.
Doesn't give you the excuse to act like that. You know they're there for a reason, yes. But if you don't even TRY to work with them, you're going to get the results you don't want. It doesn't mean anything with "giving up his position as a group leader" at all.

icemastertron said:
Doesn't give you the excuse to act like that. You know they're there for a reason, yes. But if you don't even TRY to work with them, you're going to get the results you don't want. It doesn't mean anything with "giving up his position as a group leader" at all.
Try to work with them? Hawkeye's probably got two orders get the kids to where they have to go and protect them. He doesn't have to "work" with them at all. And what is he acting like? A professional?

Guijllons said:
I thought this issue was rubbish, had all the drama of a saturday morning cartoon. Ellis write this in his sleep or something?

Let's just say that he wasn't going for an Eisner here and I suspect he wrote it with only one free hand and with his eyes on the paycheck.

It's light, amusing fluff with lots and lots and lots of evil dead aliens. Was the series worth $12 as a stand-alone? Ehhhh, no. The first two issues were very good, McNiven came up with a complete cool Capt Marvel. Were there things that happened in this series that will have been required reading for next series? God, I hope so, or I just blew $12. I've wasted $12 on worse things, though.

Like a tattoo. And that actually hurt. This mini didn't HURT.

Last edited:
Guijllons said:
Ben : I'm beating on aliens!

That made me wince.

And tattoos, inside of the wrist, now that hurt.

Mmm, on top of the ankle bone for me. It DID hurt. The tattooist was this huge Japanese guy with a tonsure haircut. His name was Jingo. I didn't make the obvious joke, because he was holding something fairly sharp and because he had my foot placed firmly across his crotch. It was all rather surreal.

Lol, T . M . I . - sorry, I've been drinking...

Guijllons said:
Ben : I'm beating on aliens!

That made me wince.

That's nothing - I needed anesthetic after reading all the "dude, beer" stuff from #3.

UltimateE said:
That's nothing - I needed anesthetic after reading all the "dude, beer" stuff from #3.

That's nothing, I took anesthetic after reading "Can we have him oiled and brought to my room," then one more time after reading "All Iron Man systems unpaused," then again after reading "Don't you understand? You're already dead," then one last time to ensure I'd have a legitimate reason to go the Emergency Room.

Latest posts

Back