Ultimate Sinister

This seems like as good a thread as any to bring this up...

We know several things for sure, as fact:

1) Hammerhead -- who was then head of the New Orleans crime network -- chose not to kill Gambit while he was sleeping, because Silvermane -- who was then head of the New York criminal network -- owed a favor to Nathaniel Essex. So Essex and Gambit MUST have been associates, at some point in the past. (UXM #14 -- Thanx to E.Vi.L. for reminding me about this.)

2) Essex was a former Oscorp employee from New Orleans. Fury explicitly says this during the end of "The Tempest", when SHIELD arrests Sinister.

3) Sinister is alive, and being kept on suicide watch, inside the Triskelion, when Magneto breaks out during "Magnetic North".

4) Gambit's lifeless(?) body was seized by SHIELD agents, and brought to the Triskelion, at the end of the UXM Annual.

So, as MWoF first mentioned, we now have Gambit's alleged corpse being stored in the same location as the fugitive Sinister. There HAS to be some deliberate purpose for that. Any educated guesses? ;)

Last edited:
compound said:
This seems like as good a thread as any to bring this up...

We know several things for sure, as fact:

1) Hammerhead -- who was then head of the New Orleans crime network -- chose not to kill Gambit while he was sleeping, because Silvermane -- who was then head of the New York criminal network -- owed a favor to Nathaniel Essex. So Essex and Gambit MUST have been associates, at some point in the past. (UXM #14 -- Thanx to E.Vi.L. for reminding me about this.)

2) Essex was a former Oscorp employee from New Orleans. Fury explicitly says this during the end of "The Tempest", when SHIELD arrests Sinister.

3) Sinister is alive, and being kept on suicide watch, inside the Triskelion, when Magneto breaks out during "Magnetic North".

4) Gambit's lifeless(?) body was seized by SHIELD agents, and brought to the Triskelion, at the end of the UXM Annual.

So, as MWoF first mentioned, we now have Gambit's (mystically altered?) body being stored in the same location as the fugitive Sinister. There HAS to be some deliberate purpose for that. Any educated guesses?

Ok, I think we can eliminate 2. He was an Oscorp employee but just that. I would imagine when Apocolypse came calling he lost or left his job. Obviously after this was his "secret" dealings with Gambit. Then the big mystery as to how Gambit was no longer with Essex. Anyway, So up to 3/4 we have Gambit's body and Essex in the trisk. I'm leaning toward an empty shell for Apocolypse to control. Possibly either himself or a horsemen. I'm totally convinced Singer is gonna bring in Apocolypse for his run.

I definitely think we'll see a second arc featuring Sinister as the villain, with the involvement of something/somebody whom he *believes* to be Apocalypse, but I seriously doubt we'll see a real version of Poccy himself.

There's enough ambiguity about the nature of the Phoenix to have a second cosmic force intruding into what is otherwise a fun, action-oriented, character-driven title with occasional social/political undertones.

If Apocalypse is real, it would demand a line-wide crossover, and I don't think we need that. But for what it's worth, there's a character in each title that easily fits the classic Horseman roles:

Famine --> the Symbiote/Venom/Carnage (feeds off host)

War --> Angel (consistent with 616) or any of the Ultimates; or any of the dead, failed Captain America replacements, for that matter

Pestilence --> any of the Zombie FF (virus carriers)

Death --> the Hulk?

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ok, I think we can eliminate 2. He was an Oscorp employee but just that. I would imagine when Apocolypse came calling he lost or left his job.

Didn't he get fired for what he was working on, so he started testing it on himself? I seem to remember that. I haven't read that story in a while so I'm not sure...

UltimateE said:
Didn't he get fired for what he was working on, so he started testing it on himself? I seem to remember that. I haven't read that story in a while so I'm not sure...
You're probably right but the point I'm trying to make is I doubt they're gonna have Oscorp incorporated with Apocolypse. That's just way too much.

I thought he was a bit under-used. I've never been a big fan of Sinister....but at least I recognize the fact that he was a major player.

The Ultimate Sinister was more of a thug for hire. He had a mutant power to make people do what he asked...but he still seemed to be on the same level of Toad or Blob. I just wasn't too impressed.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You're probably right but the point I'm trying to make is I doubt they're gonna have Oscorp incorporated with Apocolypse. That's just way too much.

But...they already have.

Victor Von Doom said:
I thought he was a bit under-used. I've never been a big fan of Sinister....but at least I recognize the fact that he was a major player.

The Ultimate Sinister was more of a thug for hire. He had a mutant power to make people do what he asked...but he still seemed to be on the same level of Toad or Blob. I just wasn't too impressed.
I have the feeling that you're going to be taken by surprise.

UltimateE said:
But...they already have.
Come again?

Apocalypse looks like a sad blue clown who was kicked out from the Cirque du Soleil.

He was probably kicked out because he has a bad back and can't perform. What bad back, you ask? Well, can you think of any other excuse for that belt?

And he wear a Cloak. A CLOAK! :shock: Didn't he watch the Incredibles? He is begging for Colossus to grab him by the cloak and swing him in orbit.

Everybody else in the UU seems to have wised up to the cloakless heroic lifestyle. I can't think of another Ultimate character with a Cloak. Well except for Moonknight. You know, that smart dude who acts like a sneaky vigilante by night with his big white cloak. That genius. Well now he's not alone anymore, Apocalypse has joined him in the club of the clueless dolt.

AAAAAH. I feel better. Carry on.

Last edited:
compound said:
I definitely think we'll see a second arc featuring Sinister as the villain, with the involvement of something/somebody whom he *believes* to be Apocalypse, but I seriously doubt we'll see a real version of Poccy himself.

There's enough ambiguity about the nature of the Phoenix to have a second cosmic force intruding into what is otherwise a fun, action-oriented, character-driven title with occasional social/political undertones.

If Apocalypse is real, it would demand a line-wide crossover, and I don't think we need that. But for what it's worth, there's a character in each title that easily fits the classic Horseman roles:

Famine --> the Symbiote/Venom/Carnage (feeds off host)

War --> Angel (consistent with 616) or any of the Ultimates; or any of the dead, failed Captain America replacements, for that matter

Pestilence --> any of the Zombie FF (virus carriers)

Death --> the Hulk?

Wasn't Angel Death? I like the idea of Carnage as Famine, don't think Zombies will make a comeback in UU. And Hulk would be more suited for War, and I would like to see Green Goblin as Death, he looks the part.

And the problem with Sinister is that he does seem so ...sinister. He doesn't have like this whole mystery thing to him, just questionable sanity and a throw away line from Gambit's issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back