Ultimate Spider-Man #107 Discussion (spoilers)

The sad thing, is I can see how the whole Demogoblin thing isn't over yet - as hideous as the change was, it shouldn't be over yet... allow me to explain.

1) Harry was the Hobgoblin.

2) Harry was in S.H.I.E.L.D. custody for a good chunk of the book's run, extensively tested, (Fury even admitted as much during the Hobgoblin Arc,) and no one discovered that he was tainted with OZ.

3) Harry was a damn strong Goblin, and he was merely tainted with it. (Norman wasn't bullet-proof, was he?) Mary Jane was mainlined this junk in a similar piece of equipment that Norman used.

It makes sense that the FF wouldn't have completely cured her - it looks as though the OZ is meant to work that way. It's changed her further than being 'Hulk-Lite' into something that I can guess is the focus of the next arc.

Thoughts? Opinions?

-The Matt

Last edited:
The sad thing, is I can see how the whole Demogoblin thing isn't over yet - as hideous as the change was, it shouldn't be over yet... allow me to explain.

1) Harry was the Hobgoblin.

2) Harry was in S.H.I.E.L.D. custody for a good chunk of the book's run, extensively tested, (Fury even admitted as much during the Hobgoblin Arc,) and no one discovered that he was tainted with OZ.

3) Harry was a damn strong Goblin, and he was merely tainted with it. (Norman wasn't bullet-proof, was he?) Mary Jane was mainlined this junk in a similar piece of equipment that Norman used.

It makes sense that the FF wouldn't have completely cured her - it looks as though the OZ is meant to work that way. It's changed her further than being 'Hulk-Lite' into something that I can guess is the focus of the next arc.

Thoughts? Opinions?

-The Matt

Uh..... Your avatar is creepy.

Another good issue, what is this, two in a row? Bendis might start making this a habit if he's not careful. :lol: I like the Kitty piece in the beginning, it makes a lot of sense. I just REALLY wish she'd stop running away from everything, it just makes it seem unbelievable. Good touch on the MJ/Peter convo about Kitty too - Peter seems perfectly content in teasing MJ about his relationship with Kitty because it's obvious he's put MJ first and made up his mind, which was only reinforced by his somewhat amateur conversation with Kitty.

And believe it or not, I'm liking the Daredevil storyline. It's about time Peter stood up for himself against old hornhead. I'm not minding the traitor storyline, as I totally agree it's going to be turned around later and that would be a cool twist.

MJ's thing, well, I'm willing to wait. I hope she doesn't die. #1, that would kill the great high school drama we're gonna see with Kitty now in the picture and 2) Peter needs two love interests, it keeps it interesting.

Another good issue, what is this, two in a row? Bendis might start making this a habit if he's not careful. :lol: I like the Kitty piece in the beginning, it makes a lot of sense. I just REALLY wish she'd stop running away from everything, it just makes it seem unbelievable. Good touch on the MJ/Peter convo about Kitty too - Peter seems perfectly content in teasing MJ about his relationship with Kitty because it's obvious he's put MJ first and made up his mind, which was only reinforced by his somewhat amateur conversation with Kitty.

And believe it or not, I'm liking the Daredevil storyline. It's about time Peter stood up for himself against old hornhead. I'm not minding the traitor storyline, as I totally agree it's going to be turned around later and that would be a cool twist.

MJ's thing, well, I'm willing to wait. I hope she doesn't die. #1, that would kill the great high school drama we're gonna see with Kitty now in the picture and 2) Peter needs two love interests, it keeps it interesting.

It's perfectly believable for Kitty to run away. She feels embarrassed for two good reasons: one, she was oblivious ( or at least didn't accept ) to the fact Peter was in love with MJ the entire time. ( as she knows ) and she fought so hard to get May's memory zapped..when it wasn't the right thing to do, Xavier and Jean said it, and Peter said it too. So she's feeling mighty humiliated and hurt. That's my two cents.
I'm really worried about MJ for next arc. It seems USM's focus is shifting away from her..and if this issue is an indication of the future..towards Kitty. And at this point in Peter's life, there is no way the writers are going to let him stick with one girl: we know Peter, as long as MJ's in the picture, he's not going to give a serious hoot about any other girl. Didn't 616 Gwen get removed for that same reason? And considering the beefing coming from Peter being married and therefore out of circulation in the 616...
Also: Mujaki, you are right on the money.
There is no way the MJ-Goblin is gone..not with the dose she got. The way they are building up to it is worrying me..the hand shaking in 105, her claw hand this issue...and the summary this issue hinted at it.
Doc Ock is a really smart dude too..if he gave Kaine the Oz for MJ ( Kaine likely gave the evil Ock a look how to really hurt Peter )..I'd think it wouldn't be so easily cured. And if MJ does go Goblin..I don't think it's going to be small..she's not going to get away unscathed with this kind of buildup.
She'll end up either dead or locked up like Harry.

It's perfectly believable for Kitty to run away. She feels embarrassed for two good reasons: one, she was oblivious ( or at least didn't accept ) to the fact Peter was in love with MJ the entire time. ( as she knows ) and she fought so hard to get May's memory zapped..when it wasn't the right thing to do, Xavier and Jean said it, and Peter said it too. So she's feeling mighty humiliated and hurt. That's my two cents.
I'm really worried about MJ for next arc. It seems USM's focus is shifting away from her..and if this issue is an indication of the future..towards Kitty. And at this point in Peter's life, there is no way the writers are going to let him stick with one girl: we know Peter, as long as MJ's in the picture, he's not going to give a serious hoot about any other girl. Didn't 616 Gwen get removed for that same reason? And considering the beefing coming from Peter being married and therefore out of circulation in the 616...
Also: Mujaki, you are right on the money.
There is no way the MJ-Goblin is gone..not with the dose she got. The way they are building up to it is worrying me..the hand shaking in 105, her claw hand this issue...and the summary this issue hinted at it.
Doc Ock is a really smart dude too..if he gave Kaine the Oz for MJ ( Kaine likely gave the evil Ock a look how to really hurt Peter )..I'd think it wouldn't be so easily cured. And if MJ does go Goblin..I don't think it's going to be small..she's not going to get away unscathed with this kind of buildup.
She'll end up either dead or locked up like Harry.

This is such an interesting story. Scenes with Kaine and Doc Ock could've been the creepiest, most well-written scenes this book has ever seen. But no, there's almost an entire issue worth of Not-Richard's lies.

I kind of want the annual to be about the clones' backstory, especially Kaine, and what Jess Drew is doing now. I know it should be less guest-star-mania, but I would love that so much because there was so much wasted opportunity with the lives of the clones and the potential drama. Also, the CIA's actions were completely illogical and I want to know more about Cassandra Webb.

Whenever I think about the sheer waste of potential that the Clone Saga was, the many untold stories that could've been so much better than what we got, I'm torn between rage and grief.

She knew Pete love MJ and even called pete on it but he kept avoiding the question..wich really shows him to be the *******.

Pete didnt say it wasnt the right thing to do just that he didnt want her to forget he even said it was cool of her for trying

Pete is just a big jerk for playing with an other girls fealings while still in love with Mj

Last edited by a moderator:
She knew Pete love MJ and even called pete on it but he kept avoiding the question..wich really shows him to be the *******.

Pete didnt say it wasnt the right thing to do just that he didnt want her to forget he even said it was cool of her for trying

Pete is just a big jerk for playing with an other girls fealings while still in love with Mj

He was undoubtably a jerk. But Kitty's not stupid, she knew what she was getting into. Peter told her about his break-up in Annual 1. Neither of them wanted to be alone..and staying with a guy who loves another ( as she hinted she knew all along ) is kind of pathetic. It needed to end.

TwilightEl: you are not alone in the rage and grief department!
Thank goodness for the Jessica issue..it did salvage it a bit, but a great part of the arc was a waste of time. We did see Peter finally get honest with MJ which is awesome..but now she is getting Goblin urges..which was a bad idea in the first place and still is!! Aunt May coming to terms with it was a major development too..but we haven't seen the last of that yet.
I couldn't believe how they killed Kaine...one shot and he is dead.

What's with all the Kitty hate? She's one of my favorite characters in the book right now.

I would normally start bashing MJ here...but that's almost become too cliched. I need a new character to hate. Here's to hoping that she dies a painful death, though! :D

What's with all the Kitty hate? She's one of my favorite characters in the book right now.

I would normally start bashing MJ here...but that's almost become too cliched. I need a new character to hate. Here's to hoping that she dies a painful death, though! :D

She got into a rebound relationship with a guy who was clearly still pining for the other girl and it imploded. There's no angels in that situation, but Pete's the main character so everybody's siding with him.

I feel really bad for her... by this title's canon, she lost her boyfriend, her team, her home and everybody she knew, all because he still loved MJ and she got caught in the backlash of the Clone Saga aftermath. Now, the first day in a new school, she's worried about being picked on or even attacked, she's probably thinking "Hey, maybe it won't be so bad, maybe I won't see him" and she walks into homeroom and he's right there with MJ and then everyone starts crowding her and making racist comments and bringing it up and he can't even look at her. I'd be pissed, too.

She got into a rebound relationship with a guy who was clearly still pining for the other girl and it imploded. There's no angels in that situation, but Pete's the main character so everybody's siding with him.
I feel really bad for her... by this title's canon, she lost her boyfriend, her team, her home and everybody she knew, all because he still loved MJ and she got caught in the backlash of the Clone Saga aftermath. Now, the first day in a new school, she's worried about being picked on or even attacked, she's probably thinking "Hey, maybe it won't be so bad, maybe I won't see him" and she walks into homeroom and he's right there with MJ and then everyone starts crowding her and making racist comments and bringing it up and he can't even look at her. I'd be pissed, too.

Really? I can't imagine that's true. I love Kitty and I think Peter's a jerk and the fact that he was joking with MJ about Kitty really makes me dislike him.

We've probably all been in Peter's situation and can relate, that's one thing, but I don't think anyone's taking his side over Kitty.

Really? I can't imagine that's true. I love Kitty and I think Peter's a jerk and the fact that he was joking with MJ about Kitty really makes me dislike him.

We've probably all been in Peter's situation and can relate, that's one thing, but I don't think anyone's taking his side over Kitty.

Sorry, it was an inappropriate use of hyperbole. You're right.

So far, I really like this storyline. I thought the art was good, and the Ultimate Knights is an interesting team. I like the argument about whether it would be the right thing to kill Kingpin or not. "They Killed Hitler. And that was that for the Third Reich." "But it eventually came back in the form of a little thing called MTV." :lol:

I don't know Jessica Jones or Iron Fist from 616, but where they're going seems interesting. Oh, and it looks like Ronin isn't going to be a character, just one of the UK in a suit. Ronin's another character I never read about, but I'm guessing this is a good thing, or not?

Also, why isn't Black Cat there? And why is Dr. Strange? Maybe they'll explain that later and hopefully if this team sticks around Felicia will join.

I like that it seems Kitty will be bringing attention to some forgotten characters. *Sigh* I don't like that MJ's Goblin thing isn't over, but Mujaki makes a very good point, I just don't really see it going anywhere good :?

Oh, and TwilightEL, I totally agree! The worst thing about Clone Saga wasn't MJGoblin or even Doc Magnetopus for me, it was the fact that it could have been an amazing story, and it turned into a waste. If the Annual could be used to delve into their back stories and use some of that thrown away potential, (and hopefully show where Spider-woman went,) that would be great! :)

"There... There are no chicken wings." :D

Last edited:
I'm on to you, BAMF! and I don't like the direction in which you're heading. Just know that I'm watching you. Kind of like a stalker, but with no sexual attraction involved. Your devious attempts to try and take what is mine will not be tolerated.

On another note, why is Moon Knight so clueless? Why does Dr. Strange talk like a 13-year-old girl? At least MJ is turning into a Goblin again. As horrendous as the idea is, it gives Captain America a good reason to get all "You think this letter stands for France??" and then kill her. Man, I said that I wouldn't be doing MJ bashing...but I just keep falling back into it. I can't help it.

She's using her witchcraft on me.

I'm on to you, BAMF! and I don't like the direction in which you're heading. Just know that I'm watching you. Kind of like a stalker, but with no sexual attraction involved. Your devious attempts to try and take what is mine will not be tolerated.

On another note, why is Moon Knight so clueless? Why does Dr. Strange talk like a 13-year-old girl? At least MJ is turning into a Goblin again. As horrendous as the idea is, it gives Captain America a good reason to get all "You think this letter stands for France??" and then kill her. Man, I said that I wouldn't be doing MJ bashing...but I just keep falling back into it. I can't help it.

She's using her witchcraft on me.

So Ultimate MJ is a witch. Kirsten Dunst is a vampire. I hope an alternate universe MJ turns out to be a werewolf, just to complete the trifecta.

This was crap.

Everything is wrong. Every motivation is completely off. It's just bull****. Why the **** is Peter Parker all of a sudden the most responsible level headed character ever?

Wait for the Iron Fist was manipulating the Kingpin the whole time part.

Awesome.

2/5

Wouldn't you be just as angry if Bendis had Peter jumping on-board with the 'Let's Murder Kingpin" bandwagon?

I think it's established in his character now that Peter will never, ever kill people. He's even better/worse on it than 616 Spider-Man... 616 was definitely trying to kill the Goblin in some scenes and has gone pretty far over the edge. Peter didn't even kill Doc Ock, he's not going to be bothered by Kingpin. Actually, I think it'd be kind of funny where Kingpin starts taunting him and trying to get him to freak out again, and he's like "Meh, you're like third on the people I hate list. Doc Ock and Norman pissed me off way more."

I think it's established in his character now that Peter will never, ever kill people. He's even better/worse on it than 616 Spider-Man... 616 was definitely trying to kill the Goblin in some scenes and has gone pretty far over the edge. Peter didn't even kill Doc Ock, he's not going to be bothered by Kingpin. Actually, I think it'd be kind of funny where Kingpin starts taunting him and trying to get him to freak out again, and he's like "Meh, you're like third on the people I hate list. Doc Ock and Norman pissed me off way more."

Eh. I dunno...he was thinking to himself that he should just "Jump over and snap Ock's neck" and then blame it on temporary insanity.

Latest posts

Back