Ultimate Spider-Man #122 Spoilers

the watcher

See a six page preview of Ultimate Spider-Man #122.

Well who ever guessed that it was the Shocker, who is the bad guy in this issue... your right...

Check it out here: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0805/23/marvelfirsts.htm

Also see previews of MARVEL 1985 #1, ANGEL: REVELATIONS #1, DAREDEVIL #107, MARVEL ILLUSTRATED: PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY #6, IMMORTAL IRON FIST #15, MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR #36, MARVEL ADVENTURES IRON MAN #13, MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS #9, MARVEL ILLUSTRATED: MOBY DICK #4, MS. MARVEL #27, NEW AVENGERS #41, NEW WARRIORS #12, POWER PACK: DAY ONE #3, SHE-HULK #29, THOR #9, UNCANNY X-MEN #498, WOLVERINE: FIRST CLASS #3, X-FORCE #4, X-MEN: LEGACY #212, X-MEN: FIRST CLASS #12, & YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS #5.

Last edited:
Hah,guess Shockers luck might be turning...................or not.

And damn everyone keeps unmasking Pete.

I wonder if Herman will get some character development here, maybe explain his motives, why he uses his tech for crime instead of just making money the legit way and why he keeps on with his criminal career instead of quiting.

Last edited:
I wonder if Herman will get some character development here, maybe explain his motives, why he uses his tech for crime instead of just making money the legit way and why he keeps on with his criminal career instead of quiting.

To make it worthwhile, that'll take some actual imaginative writing. I know you can do it, Bendis!

To make it worthwhile, that'll take some actual imaginative writing. I know you can do it, Bendis!

Bendis did that with 616 Purple Man, I don't see why he can't do with Ultimate Shocker, it be different at this point. 616 Shocker could be an interesting character, but he isn't there yet, so why not make Ultimate shocker interesting?

DC has done that with a few villains, like BTAS Mr. Freeze. If Shocker thinks Spidey ruined his life, give him a good reason why he thinks that, instead of a just joke, cry baby who is mad Spidey beat him up. Did you see that BTAS ep
where Hatter talks about how Bats "ruined his life":

Dr. Jervis Tetch: It's impossible! No one's will is strong enough to escape my dream machine!
Batman: Why? Why did you do it?
Dr. Jervis Tetch: You, of all people, have the gall to ask me that? You ruined my life! I was willing to give you whatever life you wanted, just to keep you out of mine!

See that's the kinda characterization that makes good, smaller, character based stories and I don't see why Shocker can't do that.

Bendis did that with 616 Purple Man, I don't see why he can't do with Ultimate Shocker, it be different at this point. 616 Shocker could be an interesting character, but he isn't there yet, so why not make Ultimate shocker interesting?

DC has done that with a few villains, like BTAS Mr. Freeze. If Shocker thinks Spidey ruined his life, give him a good reason why he thinks that, instead of a just joke, cry baby who is mad Spidey beat him up. Did you see that BTAS ep
where Hatter talks about how Bats "ruined his life":

Dr. Jervis Tetch: It's impossible! No one's will is strong enough to escape my dream machine!
Batman: Why? Why did you do it?
Dr. Jervis Tetch: You, of all people, have the gall to ask me that? You ruined my life! I was willing to give you whatever life you wanted, just to keep you out of mine!

See that's the kinda characterization that makes good, smaller, character based stories and I don't see why Shocker can't do that.

But he still thought Batman ruined his life because Batsy saved a girl from his mind control.

There are people in real life that blame others for their mistakes.

I think Shocker hates Spidy because i don't think Spidy makes fun of any other villain as much as he does Shocker.

But he still thought Batman ruined his life because Batsy saved a girl from his mind control.

There are people in real life that blame others for their mistakes.

I think Shocker hates Spidy because i don't think Spidy makes fun of any other villain as much as he does Shocker.

Hatter has a better motive to explain why he was a criminal. Why is Shocker a criminal in the first place, he could have used his tech to make money the legit way. Sure Shocker is mad Spidey has defeated him so often, but why is he robbing banks in the first place? At least with 616 shocker, he invented his tech in prison so he had record before that, what about Ultimate shocker, is there a reason why he is criminal and continues to be one, because he is clearly not good at it.

Hatter has a better motive to explain why he was a criminal. Why is Shocker a criminal in the first place, he could have used his tech to make money the legit way. Sure Shocker is mad Spidey has defeated him so often, but why is he robbing banks in the first place? At least with 616 shocker, he invented his tech in prison so he had record before that, what about Ultimate shocker, is there a reason why he is criminal and continues to be one, because he is clearly not good at it.

Well after you have a criminal record it's hard to get an honest job so that be my guess as to why he keeps doing it. I would love them to explain why he became a criminal in the first place. My guess he sucked at his old job too and figured Crime was easier.

Well after you have a criminal record it's hard to get an honest job so that be my guess as to why he keeps doing it. I would love them to explain why he became a criminal in the first place. My guess he sucked at his old job too and figured Crime was easier.

Well that in itself would kinda lame motive, that's stilt-man's motive and he is a pretty lame character. seriously, just get another job or something or stick to white collar crime. I don't like my job, but I'm smart enough to know crime is not feasible alternative. I mean if he is smart enough to invent that shocker tech in the first place, he should be able to make money off of it. Seriously this would be like the post-it inventor deciding use post-its to rob people, instead of marketing them.

Now if he invented this tech, tried to market it and got ripped off by the company, then robbed it for revenge and then decided to make a career out of it, that would be better.

Last edited:
Well that in itself would kinda lame motive, that's stilt-man's motive and he is a pretty lame character. seriously, just get another job or something or stick to white collar crime. I don't like my job, but I'm smart enough to know crime is not feasible alternative. I mean if he is smart enough to invent that shocker tech in the first place, he should be able to make money off of it. Seriously this would be like the post-it inventor deciding use post-its to rob people, instead of marketing them.

Now if he invented this tech, tried to market it and got ripped off by the company, then robbed it for revenge and then decided to make a career out of it, that would be better.

That's a good way to go and maybe make his first bank robbery attempt the first time he fought spidy.

To be frank though,This guy can't be that bright anyway since he keeps committing robberies in broad daylight.

That's a good way to go and maybe make his first bank robbery attempt the first time he fought spidy.

To be frank though,This guy can't be that bright anyway since he keeps committing robberies in broad daylight.

Well there are different types of intelligence, someone can have science skills, yet lack street smarts. Seriously though, in order to build that tech in the first place, Herman would have to have his masters degree, so he should have some smarts, just not criminal smarts.

Still even a ten year old would think to patent the shocker tech, instead of using it to rob banks. This one of my least favorite comic book tropes, guys who could make millions merely marketing their devices, instead use them to steal thousands of dollars from a bank. The lamest villains of all are people who fall into that trap, its pretty lazy writing. There is no reason for say trapster to be a criminal, his glue would have earned him for more in the free market then it ever would in crime. That's not realistic, it doesn't make a lick of sense. The up keep of this tech would eat into all the profits you made robbing banks.

At least if they tried to market their tech and got ripped off, they have some reason to be a criminal, they have some motive.

Well there are different types of intelligence, someone can have science skills, yet lack street smarts. Seriously though, in order to build that tech in the first place, Herman would have to have his masters degree, so he should have some smarts, just not criminal smarts.

Still even a ten year old would think to patent the shocker tech, instead of using it to rob banks. This one of my least favorite comic book tropes, guys who could make millions merely marketing their devices, instead use them to steal thousands of dollars from a bank. The lamest villains of all are people who fall into that trap, its pretty lazy writing. There is no reason for say trapster to be a criminal, his glue would have earned him for more in the free market then it ever would in crime. That's not realistic, it doesn't make a lick of sense. The up keep of this tech would eat into all the profits you made robbing banks.

At least if they tried to market their tech and got ripped off, they have some reason to be a criminal, they have some motive.
Another thing he could do is sell his tech on the Black market witch should give him a couple of millions aswell.

Granted, Some criminals in real life have lame reasons for being criminals in the first place....of course they don't build tech.
It could be that the do it because they like it or for the thrill of it.

Why would Ultimate Shocker do what he does?

There's a lot of really cliched things I could say like sick family member/loved one, is a victim of something larger, or so forth and so on.

But why don't people with great shooting skills become cops or soldiers?

Really, criminals are criminals because they've decided to become criminals. The Shocker tech is an unwieldy vibration device that travels through the air and still carries some sort of energy to tear and break down bones and steel and concrete.

That doesn't scream a lot of marketing options but there are a few:

1- Nonlethal weapons for Police and Military forces.
2- Sonic Mining Drills.

Shocker didn't try that, maybe it never even crossed his mind. Maybe he was an idiot who never was able to hold on to a buck and got the great idea that all criminals are idiots and he could rob a bank. He watched Mythbusters and thought a sonic device would be a good choice in busting vaults.

Maybe, it was designed for that and that alone. Never considering anything else, like bringing a weapon which looked like a weapon so he isn't laughed at when he shows up at the bank with a Ghostbusters looking pack strapped unto his back.

I agree, Overlord, that some villains need to ask why they never sold their inventions. But the Shocker's not one of them...he can't even name himself right...although the Vibrator isn't the scariest name in comicdom...sooo....

Asking the Shocker why he commits crime instead of selling patents or realizing his dreams in more productive ways is like asking any other criminal why they never got their Master's degree. They're criminals.

The idea of ripping off a major city bank and getting away and thinking all of their problems would be fixed forever. They're the same people who also thought in school, 'If only everyone else died and the school was on fire...she'd be mine.' Except they're still thinking like that. With the proper tech...I could go all Ocean's Eleven on that bank....

Why would Ultimate Shocker do what he does?

There's a lot of really cliched things I could say like sick family member/loved one, is a victim of something larger, or so forth and so on.

But why don't people with great shooting skills become cops or soldiers?

Really, criminals are criminals because they've decided to become criminals. The Shocker tech is an unwieldy vibration device that travels through the air and still carries some sort of energy to tear and break down bones and steel and concrete.

That doesn't scream a lot of marketing options but there are a few:

1- Nonlethal weapons for Police and Military forces.
2- Sonic Mining Drills.

Shocker didn't try that, maybe it never even crossed his mind. Maybe he was an idiot who never was able to hold on to a buck and got the great idea that all criminals are idiots and he could rob a bank. He watched Mythbusters and thought a sonic device would be a good choice in busting vaults.

Maybe, it was designed for that and that alone. Never considering anything else, like bringing a weapon which looked like a weapon so he isn't laughed at when he shows up at the bank with a Ghostbusters looking pack strapped unto his back.

I agree, Overlord, that some villains need to ask why they never sold their inventions. But the Shocker's not one of them...he can't even name himself right...although the Vibrator isn't the scariest name in comicdom...sooo....

Asking the Shocker why he commits crime instead of selling patents or realizing his dreams in more productive ways is like asking any other criminal why they never got their Master's degree. They're criminals.

The idea of ripping off a major city bank and getting away and thinking all of their problems would be fixed forever. They're the same people who also thought in school, 'If only everyone else died and the school was on fire...she'd be mine.' Except they're still thinking like that. With the proper tech...I could go all Ocean's Eleven on that bank....

Cops and soldiers don't make as much as someone who has marketable tech to sell.

I don't see how having your design ripped off and then becoming a criminal is a cliche, its just more logical. How is what you describe not a cliche, a a lot of 616 villains (Beetle, Trapster, Stilt-Man,etc) that is a cliche and pretty lame one. It works okay if you are joke villain and not suppose to be taken seriously, but it doesn't work with a serious character. So, why give a joke character a spot light issue. Frankly this joke is played out, Shocker should either become more a serious or become a bigger joke, more goofy and over the top, devising insanely stupid schemes that would never work in a million years.

In terms of marketability, if the guy who made post-it can make a mint selling his invention, Herman should be able to do so as. A sonic drill would be a boon to the construction industry. That's already very marketable. if i invented something like that, I would patent it right away.

Really, could you imagine in real life, someone who invents something that has some market use and using it for crime instead of getting rich by marketing it, that never happens in real life.

Plus the idiot excuse works way better with Sandman and Electro then it does with shocker, seriously you have to be pretty smart to invent something new, those guy just got lucky, their powers weren't created by their own skills so them being idiots makes sense. Plus it be boring if 2/3s of USM villains are just stupid, greedy thugs, it makes them really boring and interchanable.

Another thing he could do is sell his tech on the Black market witch should give him a couple of millions aswell.

Granted, Some criminals in real life have lame reasons for being criminals in the first place....of course they don't build tech.
It could be that the do it because they like it or for the thrill of it.

Most people who are criminals in real life are poor and uneducated, they don't have the skills to invent anything. Also I doubt Shocker gets a thrill out of getting his butt kicked all the time.

Last edited:
I liked this issue a lot. Best thing about it (I thought) was the art, although it was cool to see the Shocker fleshed out a bit more.

I liked this issue a lot. Best thing about it (I thought) was the art, although it was cool to see the Shocker fleshed out a bit more.

Care to give quick summary? Any major spoilers or revelations about any of the characters?

I'm assuming the answer is "no" to that last question, but in terms of fleshing out Shocker, did Bendis pull it off? Or was it a short-sighted attempt like many of his Ultimized villains have become (Silver Sable, Omega Red, etc)?

Just wondering.

Care to give quick summary? Any major spoilers or revelations about any of the characters?

I'm assuming the answer is "no" to that last question, but in terms of fleshing out Shocker, did Bendis pull it off? Or was it a short-sighted attempt like many of his Ultimized villains have become (Silver Sable, Omega Red, etc)?

Just wondering.

They gave Silver Sable a good back story though.

Latest posts

Back