Ultimate Spider-Man #122 Spoilers

So what did everyone think of this issue?

I liked it, Shocker actually gets a motive, not bad at all.

I'm kinda iffy on how Shocker just gets a lucky shot at Spider-Man and then just takes him away.

Overall, an okay issue. Nothing bad, but nothing too great either. I agree with Gemini...somewhat. It does have a kind of "filler" issue to it, but not enough to really make anything out of that. There's always a a stand alone issue in series here and there.

3/5

You thought so...?

To each his own. It was a pretty cliched, worn-out origin in my point of view.

Agreed. "Big evil corporations exploit the little guy and it's time for payback!"

*yawn*

More beating of the same dead horse without any forward momentum. It doesn't put any of the characters in a new or more interesting place.

And Bendis' dialog seems just so absent of substance....

Last edited:
Agreed. "Big evil corporations exploit the little guy and it's time for payback!"

*yawn*

More beating of the same dead horse without any forward momentum. It doesn't put any of the characters in a new or more interesting place.

Its better than someone inventing something and using it for crime, instead of marketing it, for no reason.

Its better than someone inventing something and using it for crime, instead of marketing it, for no reason.

It's also better than an alien goldfish on a flying rocket scooter who robs banks to cure his mother's cancer.

That doesn't make it good.

It's also better than an alien goldfish on a flying rocket scooter who robs banks to cure his mother's cancer.

Of course with tech villains like these , what are your options, motive wise?

Stupidity doesn't work as a motive, because in theory these guys should be smart to at least try patent this stuff, if they are smart enough to invent it in the first place.

That leaves a few options, the character is a thrill seeker and thinks crime is fun, the character is insane or psychopathic and just likes hurting people, they got screwed by their boss and that's why they couldn't patent it or there is no motive (ex: Trapster)

Now Shocker doesn't seem insane or psychopthic, he seems too bitter to be a thrill seeker (and not good enough to turn it into a hobby), so that leaves with two options, he got screwed over or he has no motive.

Shocker not having a motive is okay is he is just a joke character, but then you don't give a joke character a spoltlight issue, unless you are giving them a very silly and over the top appearances (like White rabbit)

It was O.K.

but kinda fillery, i still don't see the point of these last two isssues

You just guessed it: FILLER. Until the War of the Symbiotes arc, which I'm worried about on principle alone. I liked playing the video game, but I don't think its story is going to translate well into a comic arc. Oh well, at least those who didn't play it now get a chance to see the (weak) story, and it cements the USM video game into Ultimate continuity.

I disagree, they are stepping some plot lines (the menace of Roxxon and the fallout of Kingpin's downfall).

Neither of those plot lines is new. Bendis has been building the Roxxon storyline since the third arc...over 100 issues and seven years ago...do you really think that counts? And the Kingpin thing has been done before (once already in the Ultimate verse by Bendis himself...its not a new plot line).

As to whether either of those plot lines will come to fruition soon is another story. The Roxxon thing was definitly mentioned here for a reason. And the game heavily involved the Roxxon Corp in its storyline, so I'm sure it'll be involved in the next arc. Whether the plot concerning them will really go anywhere...we'll see.

:lol:

Last edited:

It's like the old saying goes.

A Goldfish Needs a Nitrous-Powered Rocket Scooter Like a Woman Needs The Right To Vote.

Overlord said:
Of course with tech villains like these , what are your options, motive wise?

Stupidity doesn't work as a motive, because in theory these guys should be smart to at least try patent this stuff, if they are smart enough to invent it in the first place.

That leaves a few options, the character is a thrill seeker and thinks crime is fun, the character is insane or psychopathic and just likes hurting people, they got screwed by their boss and that's why they couldn't patent it or there is no motive (ex: Trapster)

Now Shocker doesn't seem insane or psychopthic, he seems too bitter to be a thrill seeker (and not good enough to turn it into a hobby), so that leaves with two options, he got screwed over or he has no motive.

Shocker not having a motive is okay is he is just a joke character, but then you don't give a joke character a spoltlight issue, unless you are giving them a very silly and over the top appearances (like White rabbit)

It's not about motivation. It's about execution. And Bendis' execution of Shocker's motivations was as vanilla as you get.

Last edited:
It's like the old saying goes.

A Goldfish Needs a Nitrous-Powered Rocket Scooter Like a Woman Needs The Right To Vote.

It's not about motivation. It's about execution. And Bendis' execution of Shocker's motivations was as vanilla as you get.

But the motive was the core of the story.

You have got a point there, but I would say that after being around for 60 years, its hard for comics not fall into certain tropes, its unavoidable. Its what twist you give these tropes that makes the story goodor not.

Latest posts

Back