Ultimate Spider-Man #70 (Spoilers) A Sigh of Relief?

Goodwill

I got this issue in the mail today and, when I opened it, I didn't expect much out of it. Judging on the last two, two issue arcs these stories aren't Ultimate Spider-Man's proudest moments. I'm sure a lot of you would agree with me. Although, this time around, not only do we get what we did in the Detention issue but a lot more... We actually see, drawn, Peter's personal demons. Sure, they are written but it's nothing we haven't heard before. This is leading to be a very interesting story and I actually can't wait for the next one! It should be a really good one.

Also, who is Luther Manning? He appeared in this issue.

Isn't he a sort of cyborg type character??? Spidey's having delusions of being chased by big bad robots???

Dr.Strangefate said:
He looked like Deathlok to me, so that's who i think it is.

That was my first thought.

I liked the issue a lot. It's good to see Peter still trying to deal with Gwen's death. This should be a major problem for him for a long time. Bagley's MJ looked great and it was nice to see her and Peter interacting, even though maybe they really weren't. :twisted:

Caduceus said:
Isn't he a sort of cyborg type character??? Spidey's having delusions of being chased by big bad robots???

He wasn't being chased by him; the Ultimates were fighting him and Spidey just happened along and kicked him in the back of the head.

I thought it was great. I read Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #12 but I never got to the next ish to see exactly what happened. So I'm a little in the dark about Spidey "meeting" him before. But it was a great ish.

I'm crazy about the page were MJ starts to reveil herself as... not herself. The art is fantastic.

I can't wait till the next one.

Did anybody else find the last page disturbing, in some means? I mean, seeing Black Cat and Doc Ock kiss...Norman and May getting married...it's just weird...

Yeah it was really disturbing. Do you think they were visualizations of everything Peter fears... do you think they represent some kind of feeling or doubt? Although I can't see why Pete would ever fear Aunt May going for Norman, I'm pretty sure she knows he's not a great guy. And Cat's way out of Doc's league lol.

Interesting issue, but the art in a number of spots was pretty weak. I'm starting to think it's not just colouring/inking process, I'd have to see the pencils but I'm thinking Bagley's slipping. But then given what Dreamwave did to Andy Wildman's pencils for the second War Within series anything's possible with bad colouring.

Blacksword said:
Interesting issue, but the art in a number of spots was pretty weak. I'm starting to think it's not just colouring/inking process, I'd have to see the pencils but I'm thinking Bagley's slipping.

I noticed even way back when he was on Amazing Spider-Man that he has a weird inconsistancy that I havne't really noticed with too many artists. I'm not even really criticizing him for it; it's probably just in the way he draws. But for example I notice it most with Ultimate MJ; she looks 15 or 16 in one panel; then she'll look 12 in another. It doesn't really bother me and I don't think he's a bad artist by any means, but it is noticable, and from what I've seen of his work he's always been like that. So I don't know that he's slipping. But I think I do know what you mean.

FWIW, I've also noticed this of John Cassaday in Astonishing X-Men. And again, I don't mean anything by it; Cassaday is one of my favorite artists ever.

Being the member that is most critical of the art in this title, I must say that I was impressed. Bagley never fails to impress! I do still see inconsistencies with the inker and the colorist, but I can get over that, I guess.

The Captain said:
Hey E, this should be locked by now.....youve already locked the issue after it, so whats up with this one??

No I didn't. Only spec threads get locked, and only when the actual issue is out to discuss.

Latest posts

Back