Ultimate Spider-Man # 71 discussion (spoilers)

I just got the issue and, while I did like it, I thought that it was silly to have all of the magic stuff in a book like USM, where reality is the focal point that has stuck with the title since the beginning. Wolverine's little team-up arc was, indeed, Bendis "Jumping the Shark", which is not a good thing; it actually marks when the show (Title in this case) goes down hill. While the Hob shows promise, this failed to impress.

Visually, though, I am starting to warm to the colors because, when Bagley gets to it, he can certainly deliver! The art was stunning, especially that splash page with him in the beginning being chased be all of this villains... Incredible.

6 out 10

Goodwill said:
Visually, though, I am starting to warm to the colors because, when Bagley gets to it, he can certainly deliver! The art was stunning, especially that splash page with him in the beginning being chased be all of this villains... Incredible.

6 out 10

Agreed....

6 out of 10?!?! I'd hate to see what you'd do with an issue you didn't like... :?

Well, the magic weighed down on my opinion a lot, as I'm sure it did for a lot of you. If you look at my other reviews of this title, you'll see that I was giving Carnage 8's and 9's.

Goodwill said:
Well, the magic weighed down on my opinion a lot, as I'm sure it did for a lot of you. If you look at my other reviews of this title, you'll see that I was giving Carnage 8's and 9's.

I didn't mind the whole magic it is doctor strange (or some kind of doctor strange) and that's what he does I mean did you expect them to ultimize him by making him the world's greatest illusionist?

Well, the magic didn't have to weigh so heavily on something like Spider-Man, that's all I'm saying. Strange wasn't needed for Peter to have dreams like this... It would have made a better story without Strange is what I'm saying. His character came off as annoying, anyway.

Goodwill said:
Well, the magic didn't have to weigh so heavily on something like Spider-Man, that's all I'm saying. Strange wasn't needed for Peter to have dreams like this... It would have made a better story without Strange is what I'm saying. His character came off as annoying, anyway.

Agreed... It was a good way to bring strange* in... but you're right they may have "overplayed" the magic aspect...

* WILL SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME IF THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE ULTIMATE DR. STRANGE WE'RE SUPPOSED TO GET USED TOO?? OR IS THIS HIS KID AND THE REAL STRANGE IS YET TO COME???

the Dr. strange in that issue was Stephen Strange Junior, the original disappeared for unknown reasons

Making Strange younger is a way to try and get young people to idnetify with the character. I like Ultimate Strange. He's got a much more interesting background than just "Ok, he's the same as in 616 but younger". But as much as I like that, I just can't identify with him in the UU. A sorceror just doesn't fit, really.

Anyway, I liked the issue. I agree with Goody that Strange isn't needed in Spidey, but- seeing as how he was in it, I think it was a good issue. Nothing monumental, but hopefully we should be getting that over the next 6 issues.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Yea I'm aware of that much but does that mean that Doc. Strange Jr. is going to be the character to make a bigger impact on the UU... in comparison to the original Doc Strange...

Yes, you need to consider Strange Jr. the Ultimate Strange because, let's face it, he's the one that's right there in front of us being developed. Besides, his father was just a rehash of the 616 Strange, with his son taking up the cape and all, I think there can be a lot more done with a character, don't you?

Goodwill said:
Yes, you need to consider Strange Jr. the Ultimate Strange because, let's face it, he's the one that's right there in front of us being developed. Besides, his father was just a rehash of the 616 Strange, with his son taking up the cape and all, I think there can be a lot more done with a character, don't you?

Guess I have too...

The Captain said:
i would reply, but i still havent got my issue, i almost feel like just going to a comic store and buying it myself... maybe tomorrow....(sigh)

I got mine the day after! I guess it relies on your mailman with that one, pal.

Latest posts

Back