Ultimate Spider-Man #81 Discussion (Spoilers)

How would you rate Ultimate Spider-Man #81?

• ***** [excellent]

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • **** [good]

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • *** [average]

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • ** [below average]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * [poor]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i don't care what you guys say, i liked the issue, Iron fist and Shang chi was beautifully done. i got to hand it to bagley. the fight scene was...WOW. so many arms and legs everywhere yet you could still tell where everything was going. catching the bullet the way he did, dam hes quick little bugger.

Great issue. After almost 20 issues of mediocre story, Bendis makes his come back with this arc. The action was very-well done, the chat with DeWolfe was great. I like how the police are FINALLY on Spidey's side. I loved both Danny Rand and Shang-Chi, I would love to see more of them. And the last page was amazing! Nice to see the Cat back. I guess we'll have to see if this goes along with the annual. Great stuff!

nigma said:
everytime I read the comments on this, you guys are always bashing bendis on USM

The general consensus is that this arc as a whole is a huge improvement over the last few stories. Most people have liked all 3 issues of this arc so far, a lot moreso than past issues.

Issue rating poll added - please vote. :D

nigma said:
i don't care what you guys say, i liked the issue, Iron fist and Shang chi was beautifully done. i got to hand it to bagley. the fight scene was...WOW. so many arms and legs everywhere yet you could still tell where everything was going. catching the bullet the way he did, dam hes quick little bugger.

Hey, maybe instead of Quicksilver saving Hawkeye, Shang-Chi shows up out of nowhere in Ultimates 2 #8 and catches ALL three bullets fired at Hawk...one in each hand and one in his teeth. That would rock. But not as much as Jason Statham. ;)

As for the issue, I liked it. I agree about the first two pages though, it was a little annoying and disorienting. I think Bendis could have illustrated Pete contemplating his dinner with Kingpin in a better, less convoluted way, but whatever. I really liked how Iron Fist and Shang Chi knew each other and were buddies. Also really liked how much they kicked ***. Spidey may have met his match in these two, lucky for him they're on the same side. Also really enjoyed the ending with Black Cat showing up, thought it was pretty funny in terms of Pete's reaction. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this arc.

Lynx said:
Nice to see the Cat back. I guess we'll have to see if this goes along with the annual. Great stuff!

I was wondering the same thing. Didn't she specifically say Spidey was her boyfriend (sorry, can't check cuz the issue is at home and I'm still at work)? I mean, she has appeared before in USM, and Bendis did say Pete would be "getting some Black Cat booty" soon (if I recall the quote correctly), so maybe it will end up being Black Cat. That would be my preference. I mean come on, this poor kid goes out on a daily basis risking his genetically super-powered neck for the betterment of mankind...if he doesn't deserve to get laid I don't know who does.

Perhaps I'm simplifying things too much and stereotyping males everywhere with this viewpoint...but I don't care. Pete deserves some booty, end of story.

Just because Cat said "boyfriend" doesn't mean anything for the annual yet. We still need to see how Peter handles her reappearance in the next issue. So I'm not jumping to conclusions until after that one. And if you really want to toss around hints remember one of the upcoming covers does show BC seemingly teaming up with Elektra and beating up Spider-Man.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Just because Cat said "boyfriend" doesn't mean anything for the annual yet. We still need to see how Peter handles her reappearance in the next issue. So I'm not jumping to conclusions until after that one. And if you really want to toss around hints remember one of the upcoming covers does show BC seemingly teaming up with Elektra and beating up Spider-Man.

Yeah but maybe when they say "girlfriend" they aren't talking about a steady. Just like Peter isn't her boyfriend just because she called him that.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Touche... good point. That's pretty weak though and the way they've been advertising it, I hope we're talking about a serious girlfriend.

I agree that it would be weak - just throwing the idea out there. If that were the case then when they used the words in the solits it should have been in quotes - "girlfriend" - but maybe that would have been too obvious.

Love the Warriors arc so far. I think she calls Spidey her boyfriend because she's teasing and has a go-getter personality. I also liked the conversation of Spidey and DeWolfe, which makes DeWolfe the Spider-Man equivalent of Commissioner Gordon.

I also found it hilarious that Spidey only says "Oh no..." when Black Cat appears, not when there's a gun pointed to his head by a pissed-off mobster.

for those that have read the shang-chi arc in UMTU, i clearly liked this one better. and i thought that he had left chinatown all together. or is this a DIFFERENT china town, the thugs all looked alike.

and i the drawing on this one better, then the team up.

I think there is a chance this could be connecting to the annual. Reason being is because (mentioned above) spidey says "Oh no...".

Now, if i remember correctly, black cat took a dunk in the river last time we saw her. Spidey didn't hate her, she wasn't an arch nemisis... He should have been shocked, yes, but not like "Oh no..not again" kind of thing. It seemed more of an annoyance...

Furthermore, she had no reason to refer to him as her boyfriend, and it seemed there was a lot more familiarity between the two then there would have normally been. I think that annual will take place before this issue.

Ah, and the opening pages. Seems i'm the only one who really liked it (granted I won't be reading it again) but i think it's composed very well. All that meaningless gitter jatter and Pete just walking about, his mind a million miles away. Artistically it's nice too... It's all dark and it was like I could almost HEAR all those voice bubbles going on and then boom, the next page was completely silence... like Peter just had to get away with from that noise and break free as spidey. Obviously I'm looking way too much into it but that's my thoughts :)

Oh and I don't like the way ironfist looks... I don't know, it's the short hair. He needs the mask.

Rawb said:
I think there is a chance this could be connecting to the annual. Reason being is because (mentioned above) spidey says "Oh no...".

Now, if i remember correctly, black cat took a dunk in the river last time we saw her. Spidey didn't hate her, she wasn't an arch nemisis... He should have been shocked, yes, but not like "Oh no..not again" kind of thing. It seemed more of an annoyance...

Furthermore, she had no reason to refer to him as her boyfriend, and it seemed there was a lot more familiarity between the two then there would have normally been. I think that annual will take place before this issue.
Good thoughts.

nigma said:
for those that have read the shang-chi arc in UMTU, i clearly liked this one better. and i thought that he had left chinatown all together. or is this a DIFFERENT china town, the thugs all looked alike.

and i the drawing on this one better, then the team up.

It mentions in the issue that he had left, and then came back. When Iron Fist shows up, he asks him about it.

Rawb said:
Ah, and the opening pages. Seems i'm the only one who really liked it (granted I won't be reading it again) but i think it's composed very well. All that meaningless gitter jatter and Pete just walking about, his mind a million miles away. Artistically it's nice too... It's all dark and it was like I could almost HEAR all those voice bubbles going on and then boom, the next page was completely silence... like Peter just had to get away with from that noise and break free as spidey. Obviously I'm looking way too much into it but that's my thoughts :)

Nope, I also really liked them.

Latest posts

Back