Ultimate Spider-Man #83 (Spoilers)

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Decent issue. Cool to see Pete and Black Cat's ongoing weird romantic relationship. God I'd love for Black Cat to find out how old he really is, that'd be classic. Anyway, not a whole lot to the issue, we find out Moon Knight is indeed suffering from multiple personalities...four to be exact, one his business man persona, one more of a gruff street-type guy, one a little girl, and one Moon Knight. The dude has issues. Elektra takes out some mobsters who were going to switch allegiance to Hammerhead. Also interesting to see MJ trying to reconcile with Peter, and making mention of how the Spider-Man side of him is beginning to take over his life, as he's becoming Peter Parker less and less. This is definitly an indication of the #100 arc. Anyway, Pete goes to the address Kingpin gave him to take out Hammerhead, runs into Black Cat, then they rush into the building when they hear gunshots. Inside, they find Shang-Chi, Iron Fist, The Enforcers (well, two of them anyway as Ox is in jail and apparently about to rat on Hammerhead), Elektra, and Hammerhead. So it looks like 3 sides to this battle, Spidey and his allies vs. Hammerhead and the Enforcers vs. Elektra. I'm looking forward to the next arc. This one gets a 3 out of 5.

By the way, on the letters page the editor confirms the USM Annual follows Warriors, just in case anyone was wondering.

Usm #83

Never posted on here yet, seems like a good place to start. This issue wasn't bad. The Ult. version of Moon Knight seems to be more schizo than the 616 and he's hiding in the rafters on the last page. Next issue all out battle royale? I think so.

1 post about the issue. Thanks DIRISHB for the understandable summary. Instead of the tidbits everyone else gives. I'm pissed MoonKnight is schizo but I'll hold judgement until I see more of him. It's let a down that the issue was only so-so. I find myself waiting for the conclusion already....

Moon Knight had different personalities in the 616 universe as well, and he jumped back and forth from one to another. He originally was Marc Spector/Moon Knight and he created an identity of Steven Grant a millionaire (I forget how he amased his fourtune) and he also created Jake Lockley a taxi driver who gathered information. Seems like they nixed Jake Lockley in the UU and just made him Steven Grant and Marc Spector as his everyday name whereas Grant was his main persona in 616.

It seems in the UU his schizo nature it's a lot more psychological than his Khonshu incuded alter-egos. It was something to do with dying and being brought back to life multiple times. Now I can't even remember what my original point of this post was. Hrm.

-Murgh

Murgh said:
Moon Knight had different personalities in the 616 universe as well, and he jumped back and forth from one to another. He originally was Marc Spector/Moon Knight and he created an identity of Steven Grant a millionaire (I forget how he amased his fourtune) and he also created Jake Lockley a taxi driver who gathered information. Seems like they nixed Jake Lockley in the UU and just made him Steven Grant and Marc Spector as his everyday name whereas Grant was his main persona in 616.

It seems in the UU his schizo nature it's a lot more psychological than his Khonshu incuded alter-egos. It was something to do with dying and being brought back to life multiple times. Now I can't even remember what my original point of this post was. Hrm.

-Murgh
I know I know I know he had different personalities in 616 but if he's gonna be a major supporting character in USM let's make him tolerable so we don't want to kill him after his 6th appearance.

And no Split Personalities is not tolerable especially when you're A. A Billionare and B. A superhero oh and C. Have a girlfriend.

After sitting here staring at the wall for a few minutes I remember what I was gonna say, maybe the little girl is a manifestation of Khonshu in his mind? Would make sense if she was the one to stabilize his personalities. I think it would be really interesting to dig deeper into his past and see what went on. I quite enjoy psychological stories, and UU MK looks like a few chapters out of a text book.

This was the obligatory "dead" issue we always get in a six-issue Bendis arc. But it wasn't as "dead" as they normally are, whic his nice.

Thanks for the info about 616 Moon Knight's schizophrenia - I didn't know that, and looking back, that scene makes a lot more sense.

The scene with MJ was done pretty well...it's weird seeing Peter just turn it off like that for her (or for her safety). She obviously still likes him...can't wait to see what happens when she sees him with Kitty.

UltimateE said:
This was the obligatory "dead" issue we always get in a six-issue Bendis arc. But it wasn't as "dead" as they normally are, whic his nice.

Thanks for the info about 616 Moon Knight's schizophrenia - I didn't know that, and looking back, that scene makes a lot more sense.

The scene with MJ was done pretty well...it's weird seeing Peter just turn it off like that for her (or for her safety). She obviously still likes him...can't wait to see what happens when she sees him with Kitty.

Cat fight? Please...? Though Shadowcat definitly has the advantage.

Issue was good better than the last stuff and I'd say this whole arc hasn't been any better or worse amongst it's issues. It's been pretty consistent.

That being said. Black Cat is an interesting character. Who knows what she's gonna do when this is all said and done which is what I'm looking forward too most.

The MJ scene, like E said, was done very well and I'm glad she's gonna be in Peter's face trying to bring him back to some reality throughout the series. I like the whole Kitty relationship that hasn't even appeared yet but I'm all for MJ.

Moon Knight... split personalities... dumb. Thing with Moon Knight is he's so cool too look at. Hopefully the split personalities will be played like they were in this issue and doesn't make him come off as crazy but just keeps it in his head.

Elektra... what can I say I thnk Bendis loves her. I got so much Elektra goodness this week!

Can't wait for the next issue.

4/5

TheManWithoutFear said:
Issue was good better than the last stuff and I'd say this whole arc hasn't been any better or worse amongst it's issues. It's been pretty consistent.

That being said. Black Cat is an interesting character. Who knows what she's gonna do when this is all said and done which is what I'm looking forward too most.

The MJ scene, like E said, was done very well and I'm glad she's gonna be in Peter's face trying to bring him back to some reality throughout the series. I like the whole Kitty relationship that hasn't even appeared yet but I'm all for MJ.

Moon Knight... split personalities... dumb. Thing with Moon Knight is he's so cool too look at. Hopefully the split personalities will be played like they were in this issue and doesn't make him come off as crazy but just keeps it in his head.

I'm liking the split personality thing. Hasn't been done before in the Ultimate books (though been done in other media forms ad nauseum) so its sort of something new in that case. It could also prove to be an interesting story later on if Bendis takes full advantage of it, though there's a part of me that doubts he will. Hopefully Moon Knight won't be just a throw-away character after this arc.

Elektra... what can I say I thnk Bendis loves her. I got so much Elektra goodness this week!

Can't wait for the next issue.

4/5

Thought you'd like the Elektra appearance. I liked how she stabbed the guy in the head through the door. Hell of a way to kill someone. Reminded me of Halloween 4 when Michael Myers killed that kid with a garden rake by shoving the three prongs into his eyes and forehead...ahhhh, memories.

shameless plugging

Incidentally, those of you who read the original version of the gang war storyline from 616 might be interested in seeing which related character I Ultimized here. ;)

I'm surprised there's not a lot of discussion on this. The series is a lot better then it has been lately. Actually, well not a lot of stuff really happened in this issue but it WAS good.

I did particularly enjoy the scene with Pete and MJ. The expressions were really well done (go Bagley!) and it overall was well done. I thought MJ was adorable "are you done being broken up with me". I am really glad Peter isn't giving in and going back to her... In all honesty I do like MJ but I don't want them to get back together. There's a lot more interesting stuff that can be done, ie. Spidey and Kitty Pride. I love that. I still love the annual more then any other sp-- er anyways.

Good story, nice ending. And blackcat rocks too. Definately love her presense.
4/5

yet again i'm left waiting for the issue...*sigh*

cant wait to see the convo with MJ. has there been any follow up to the whole him skipping school again yet?

the UUFF annual comes the same day so i cant wait!!!

Inside, they find Shang-Chi, Iron Fist, The Enforcers (well, two of them anyway as Ox is in jail and apparently about to rat on Hammerhead), Elektra, and Hammerhead
are Shang-Chi & Iron Fist in normal clothes or were they wearing uniforms or what?

Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
yet again i'm left waiting for the issue...*sigh*

cant wait to see the convo with MJ. has there been any follow up to the whole him skipping school again yet?

the UUFF annual comes the same day so i cant wait!!!

are Shang-Chi & Iron Fist in normal clothes or were they wearing uniforms or what?

No they're in costumes...both just sort of Asian styled stuff, the same clothing/costume they're wearing on the covers, I think the cover to #85 shows them on it in them.

Loved the issue. Elektra's new costume was sweet, loved the MJ/Peter talk, Moon Knight is awesome, and the costumes for Shang-Chi and Iron Fist rock.

4/5

TheManWithoutFear said:
I know this doesn't really need to be touched upon in this arc but with The Kingpin, I'd like to see more of Vanessa Fisk too.

i'd like some more light shed on her and whats keeping her in the coma, and why Kingpin or her thought that tablet would help. I'm not sure if we'll ever find out, but Bendis left it an open plot-line for a reason, so I'm sure at some point we'll learn more about her. I doubt it'll be this arc though, but sometime in the future.

DIrishB said:
i'd like some more light shed on her and whats keeping her in the coma, and why Kingpin or her thought that tablet would help. I'm not sure if we'll ever find out, but Bendis left it an open plot-line for a reason, so I'm sure at some point we'll learn more about her. I doubt it'll be this arc though, but sometime in the future.
Don't care about the tablet. It was just Kingpin being superstitious. I would like to see more of her condition though.

Latest posts

Back