Ultimate Spider-Man age target

Hold on, you don't know "The Omen", you don't know "Tron", you don't know "The Exterminator"?

erm anyone got a culture chip for Goody's motherboard?

Okay then, are you aware of the composers Jerry Goldsmith, Wendy Carlos and Chip Taylor, well they provided music for the above three films!!!

Real music, as in rock and roll. None of this symphony stuff, man!

To keep it relevant, do you think that kids can digest the death stuff? Like, do you think that they get the severity of Gwen's death and all that? Do they understand what a death can do to someone?

Okay, Jerry Goldsmith was a god, so less of the the insults, (he died this year and in his career composed the music to Planet of the apes, most of the Star Trek variations, etc).

Anyway, Let's imagine that comics are only bought by 8 year olds.

What Spider-man has taught them is that when the most important person in your life dies, it's forever. Anyone else, nuttin is permenant.

longshotjimlee said:
What Spider-man has taught them is that when the most important person in your life dies, it's forever. Anyone else, nuttin is permenant.

So cynical....but so, so true.

I'm not cynical but it is typical that we live in an age where moderators believe in what I say...

hold on...

that's a cynical comment in it's self.

Well, try this one as well...

The Hawkeye mini-series was a non-seller, and what do ya know, Hawkeye is killed off.

Same for Vision.

Antman? how many bloody antmans have their been?

Stories in Marvel books are shaped by the amount of money they bring in.

In a way I wish they had the balls to kill off Spider-man.

When they killed of Jean Grey in the Dark Phoenix Saga it was great, it was emotional and was wonderful.

When she came back I lost quite a lot of faith in comic story telling.

I was quite young at the time and this shaped my anticipations for these great stories.

I maintain that Beast is not dead.

He is to popular a character.

He is likely to make an appearance in X3.

He is a money making part of Marvel.

I hope Gwen stays dead.

I hope that Ben stays dead.

I hope when I die I stay dead.

longshotjimlee said:
I'm not cynical but it is typical that we live in an age where moderators believe in what I say...

hold on...

that's a cynical comment in it's self.

It's OK. It wasn't a criticism. ;)

Are you saying that they do this to make money rather than the story, no matter what audience they try and target? You're absolutely right.

Also, are you open to having Beast back?

Goodwill said:
Are you saying that they do this to make money rather than the story, no matter what audience they try and target? You're absolutely right.

Also, are you open to having Beast back?

It was my bloody idea to bring Beast back.

I think we should kill off the boring characters not the interesting ones.

Cyclops, Jean Grey, Spider-man, etc.

Thats the problem with killing boring characters off.
If they kill boring characters whenever they get boring, they never get re-invented and made interesting

and

at the rate characters can get boring in a series with frequent writer changes, you'd be killing characters off too often. Although i've been in favour of more death in the UU (it sounds bad that way doesn't it?) there is a line between getting rid of characters at a realistic rate and killing them so often it robs them of emphasis.

I think its too challenging to find the balance between the rate of deaths where they still have meaning but happen with realistic frequency, especially if you have to kill of the boring characters

But, boring as she may frequently be, i'd rather keep Jean alive, just to prevent a slide into endless "now-she's-dead-now-she's-not" cycle

Caduceus said:
Thats the problem with killing boring characters off.
If they kill boring characters whenever they get boring, they never get re-invented and made interesting

and

at the rate characters can get boring in a series with frequent writer changes, you'd be killing characters off too often. Although i've been in favour of more death in the UU (it sounds bad that way doesn't it?) there is a line between getting rid of characters at a realistic rate and killing them so often it robs them of emphasis.

I think its too challenging to find the balance between the rate of deaths where they still have meaning but happen with realistic frequency, especially if you have to kill of the boring characters

But, boring as she may frequently be, i'd rather keep Jean alive, just to prevent a slide into endless "now-she's-dead-now-she's-not" cycle

I accept your view Caddy, but Cyclops has always been a boring character and so has Jean.

I want these characters dead and totally dead, never to return.

Why? Well Slim is a miserable character and Jean will never make her bloody mind up.

Cyclops has so much to do in the Ultimate Universe, why put him to waste? He's got Havok, he's easily upset when it comes to failure, and he has trouble with Jean and the Professor, the two people that mean something to him the most... There is a lot we can do with these characters instead of throwing them out, especially Scott and Jean.

Deaths tend to shy peope away from titles now... I mean, people get attached to certain characters and, if you kill someone like Gwen, there will be people that won't see the title the same way. Now that Gwen is gone, where has Ultimate Spider-Man gone? A lot of people will say it's declining in quality and I can't say I blame them.

This is why I think that titles should have a finite life span.

I'm not really that worried about what that length is, but I have already suggested 250 issues as a good length.

Actually 240 issues, that would mean 20 years.

I'm sorry Goody, I don't want to have an arguement with you, just healthy discussion, so I hope you don't mind when I say I want Cyclops dead.

Wolverine is an interesting character and we have been saturated in Wolverine issues throughout the 616 universe, (admittedly not so much in the Ultimate Universe). I think the killing of boring characters would be a good thing because the writers would have to make them much more interesting in order to keep them alive.

I just want to make sure that when Jean dies in the Ultimate Universe, she stays dead.

In terms of Beast, it goes against my theory of when your dead you should stay dead, but I just don't think he is dead, I think he has been recruited by Nick Fury.

Latest posts

Back