Ultimate Spider-Man bores me now

cmdrjanjalani said:
Bagley should make some B or C-grade villains into cooler characters in UU. That's what the Ultimate Universe is about anyway. Too bad he tends to keep the crappier super-villains to cameo roles only and normally uses them as a joke. I'd be impressed if he was able to turn Stilt-Man or Kangaroo into bad-*** Ultimate villains.

Urgh, no. We need stupid goons. It makes no sense that every single villains is a brillant mastermind or an unstpopable force of nature.

In fact, some villains need to be lame in order to prop up the stronger ones. If they are all bada$$, than none of them are really bada$$. They are just all standard.

As an aside, an issue of : Ultimate America's dumbest supervillain would be a hoot. I'm sure there would be show like that, or at least a segment on the subject in America's dumbest criminal in the UU.

It would make a cool mini. You'd have a few stories about the inane antics of the B-villains and then a few of them come to crash the show in revenge but only end up adding to their legacy of ineptitude.

I'd buy that!

---

I think nostalgia has set in for some of you.

Some of the first arcs were great, but go back and read everything.

Some Guy (Chameleon) was probably my 2nd favorite. That's 29-32

But IMO the best arc was Hollywood. Loved it. Spider0man with a Santa Claus was just the cherry on the sunday. That's 53-59

After Hollywood was Carnage. 60-65. On the heel of Hollywood, it's weaker. But it's not that weak either. Re-read it. The plight of Connors in that arc is very moving. His back was to the wall academically speaking and all he ever wanted was to do something good with his talent. Then he seemingly gets that chance with Peter Blood but only ends up being responsible for the death of many innocents. Some people don't like that Bendis killed Gwen in this story, but he linked Gwen's death to the actions of Connors and that make it more awful. The guilt will have a face when we see Connors again.

"Hell is paved with good intentions."

Still a good read, IMO.

After that is the 3 mini stories with Wolverine, Strange and Human Torch.

Meh. Not my favorite part of the serie, gotta say. But the part with Johnny was good characterization while the Dr Strange story had some nice creepy moment to it toward the end.

Then it's Hobgoblin. One of the most crapped on arc of the serie. I'm not quite sure I get why. I just re-read it and I enjoyed it.

The mess that is Harry's brain mirror the mess in his life. His final entreaty to Peter to kill him was a high moment as far as I'm concerned. Reasonably tragic within the confine of a comic book.

And the fact that it put a rift between MJ and Peter and opened the door for Kitty. The mentions of Roxxon that keep popping up. And how De Wollf who we now know to be a Kingpin stooge earn some more trust point with Peter. Good planning on Bendis part. This arc really paved the way to a lot of the things that are happening afterward.

I like the ambiguity of Mr Shaw's presence. I'm pretty sure he is real up to the point where he showed Harry the cave. After that... it was a nice touch to turn him into a delusional piece of Harry's mind. I think he was real until he used the Cellar door code again and then he brought him back to his house and just left. Either way, nice.

Bottom line, as far as I'm concerned, that arc was amongst the good one and I never really understood all the complaining.

But most people will agree that Warrior was a good arc.

And that's it since Hollywood.

Hollywood
Carnage
Superstars
Hobgoblin
Warrior

Most agree that Hollywood and Warrior were great. That leaves three block of stories in between that aren't as good but most aren't nearly bad if you take the time to reread it.

So as far as I'm concerned, Bendis is still doing an overall great job on the title and I see no reason for a change.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I agree. Villains are bad guys because they're stupid goons some just get lucky with intelligence and power.
Actually, 'stupid goons' who get lucky pretty much defines most of Spider-Man's 616 rogues gallery. They're all just petty crooks with a gimmick. There're very few would-be conquerors on Spider-Man's corner of the Marvel Universe.

Last edited:
I think the title really lost it's originality when Ock showed up the second time, which I believe is Hollywood. Bendis introduced people from real life--Avid Arad, Tobey MacGuire, and Sam Raimi--and introduced a Spider-Man movie to the UU. That really constricted his originality, it's a good thing Gwen found out Peter was Spider-Man in that same arc. After that, the bad-timing of Gwen's death and Superstar put the nail in the coffin. I believe Hollywood was about the time when the art got a little sloppier, too. I will say that I was pleased with Carnage for the most part, other than Gwen's death.

Goodwill said:
I think the title really lost it's originality when Ock showed up the second time, which I believe is Hollywood. Bendis introduced people from real life--Avid Arad, Tobey MacGuire, and Sam Raimi--and introduced a Spider-Man movie to the UU. That really constricted his originality, it's a good thing Gwen found out Peter was Spider-Man in that same arc. After that, the bad-timing of Gwen's death and Superstar put the nail in the coffin. I believe Hollywood was about the time when the art got a little sloppier, too. I will say that I was pleased with Carnage for the most part, other than Gwen's death.
I just really can't see eye to eye with you. Doc Ock's reappearance because of the movie didn't bother me at all. I thought it was well done and the arc was entertaining. Definitely wasn't the best arc but it wasn't bad at all.

I think Doc Ock is a great character, but he only showed back up because of the movie. Bendis put him in Ryker's because it was easier for him to break out of and couldn't upset the Ultimates that much... Seriously, why would SHIELD seperate the arms from the person that can control them after what they saw from Ultimate Six? Seriously... It was forced, and on top of that, he introduced Spider-Man the movie, something that was happening in real life, to the comics, which is not cool.

Goodwill said:
Seriously, why would SHIELD seperate the arms from the person that can control them after what they saw from Ultimate Six?

Hum, so he doesn't use them on people?

I don't understand. You can't think they should have left them on him?!

The arms where miles away, they thought it was safe, they were wrong. SHIELD is wrong from time to time just like any other intelligence agencies.

And I thought the movie storyline was fun. Why wouldn't there be a spidey movie in UU? And why wouldn't Peter be pissed about it? It was good story.

Last edited:
I like USM its just they dont fully explore a story sometimes. And other times their endings are anti-climatic, Like carnage arc was good until Carnage actually appeared then things went downhill. And the wolverine arc was bad timing but I like how he flat out said "This is a joke".

I'm all for getting a new writer but I love the art so I hope the style doesnt change, cause sometimes the art in UXM annoys me so Id like to aviod that.

But I hate their timeline. so much crap has happen in 9 months. They should have some progession like after they deal with his skipping high school dilemma have 2 or 3 arcs in the summer. Then start Junior year.

E.Vi.L. said:
Urgh, no. We need stupid goons. It makes no sense that every single villains is a brillant mastermind or an unstpopable force of nature.

In fact, some villains need to be lame in order to prop up the stronger ones. If they are all bada$$, than none of them are really bada$$. They are just all standard.

I'm not saying that they have all got to be masterminds or intelligent. They just have to look cool and would actually make sense showing up in the "more realistic" Ultimate Universe. They can still be goons. One of my favorite villains was Electro because they canned his goofy costume but kept his personality. They can do it to several other lower-tier villains. I just fear that some stupid villain (I mean stupid in concept, not in intelligence) would have potential to be a really sweet Ultimization, but was wasted so Bendis could have another joke getting his *** kicked by Spidey.

I also don't mind having joke villains like Shocker and Boomerang, but I just don't want Bendis to do that excessively. I know USM has a lot of humor, since it can't be a Spider-Man book without the funny, it's just that it shouldn't be overdone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back