Ultimate Spider-Man...Mazal Tov?

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Carried over from the USM #117 thread....

Much like the mask squinting and other bigger arguments that stemmed from a single issue (or 3....or 20), this thread is to discuss the usage of Yiddish in USM so as not to derail the issue threads from just that...the issue itself.

Spider-Man using Yiddish. Appropriate or inappropriate?

Talk amongst yourselves. Or here. Your choice you meshuggeners you.

I still say I have no real problem with it. Bendis is using it for comedy's sake and I view it as Peter spending so much time online, in the city, watching TV, etc so much that he just picked up bits and pieces of phrases like most slang commonly used today.

Now in the case of #117...it was inappropriate as the phrase was used outta context.

I still say I have no real problem with it. Bendis is using it for comedy's sake and I view it as Peter spending so much time online, in the city, watching TV, etc so much that he just picked up bits and pieces of phrases like most slang commonly used today.

Now in the case of #117...it was inappropriate as the phrase was used outta context.

I feel the same way.

Oy vey, meshuggener, schmendrick, etc are all common Yiddish words; words that are somewhat common here in Florida and even more so in New York, especially the city. As an occasional, non-Jewish user of Yiddish slang myself, I understand Peter using it, especially since it's always used for comedic effect.

I will agree that MANISHEVITZ was used out of context, and while funny, it didn't make sense.

In other words, as long as he's using common Yiddish slang in the proper context, I have absolutely no problem with it. In fact, I think it's pretty funny.

Then again, though, I never had a problem with mask squinting either. :wink:

I have less of a problem with him using it now that he's actually dated a Jewish girl. Who knows what kind of Yiddish words Kitty said when they were fooling around?

Still, when he uses obscure Yiddish words that I don't know I think to myself "If I don't know them, then how does he?" And then I think "Oy vey. That Bendis sure is a meshuggener. But who am I to kvetch?"

I'm not sure. Kitty might, but that would make sense.

Why would it matter, though?

It's not a big deal, just it would be more justifiable if a few of his friends did the same thing, so we could have assumed that he picked it up at school or something.

This wont be nearly as good as mask squinting.

as for the question
Spider-Man using Yiddish. Appropriate or inappropriate?

Doesn't really bother me either way , I don't see it as over the top or anything it's just there.

It's not a big deal, just it would be more justifiable if a few of his friends did the same thing, so we could have assumed that he picked it up at school or something.

Agreed.

What I said is basically what Bass and Ice said - the problem is that he uses extremely uncommon words and since he is not Jewish and has no major Jewish influence there's no reason for him to use uncommon words as often as he does.

Agreed.

What I said is basically what Bass and Ice said - the problem is that he uses extremely uncommon words and since he is not Jewish and has no major Jewish influence there's no reason for him to use uncommon words as often as he does.

He is a geek right? who's to say he hasn't learned the words through his studies , likes them and thinks it sounds cooler than if he was just talking long words or science talk.

Or Peter wants it to be his thing. you know in high school everyone is looking for that thing that will make them stand out in the eyes of their peers.

Either way it is like a way for the writer can show Peter is a nerd with out having to use the clichés of "uber science talk" or "References to scifi/comics/nerdy stuff"

Now this just might be me playing Devil's Advocate here, but has it actually been stated anywhere officially that he is NOT Jewish?

Maybe he is and they never really brought it up?

Agreed.

Exactly. Not to mention how often he uses it. Slang or not, NOBODY, that is not Jewish, uses it THAT often.

Last edited:
Have there ever been any Christmas issues?

Not that I know , But it's been proven he's not Jewish because in issues where is costume is destroyed it is clear there is no little bag of jew gold around his neck.

Last edited:
Maybe if they explained why he knows Yiddish.

I mean, I know he lives in Queens, but maybe if they showed a flashback of Peter watching his parents reading a Yiddish dictionary.

Latest posts

Back