Ultimate Spider-Man vs. Spidey Super Stories

thee great one said:

Maybe I should go to into a little a background, at one point Spider-Man was a guest star on children's show from the 1970s called the Elkectric Company. Marvel decided to create a comic based on this show's universe and more or less created their own version Super friends. The site I linked www.spiderfan.org, often reviews and makes fun of these comics. Since both
Ultimate Spider-Man and Spidey Super Stories are both reimaginings of Spidey though in insanely different ways, the site created an amusing comparsion between the two titles. Read the review I posted to get a sense of the insanity of the SSS Universe.

I thought it was pretty funny. Here's what he's talking about so you don't have to search through the page:

SpiderFan.org said:
Long before Ultimate Spider-Man came along to "re-hipify" Spider-Man, there was another trailblazing, alternate continuity series. This other series was the first one to feature Harry Osborn and Mary Jane in the same High School class as Peter. The first to show an alternate origin story. The first to appeal to a younger audience. What is this landmark series? Why, Spidey Super Stories, of course! So, realizing how much Ultimate Spider-Man stole from our beloved Spidey Super Stories, I did a comparison between the two, and you can make up your mind for yourself.

Comparison Between Ultimate Spider-Man and Spidey Super Stories
Ultimate Spider-Man / Spidey Super Stories

Green Goblin is hulking, mysterious mute / Can't get the Green Goblin to shut up and stop cackling no matter what we do.

Has Mary Jane as Peter's brainy bookworm pal / Has Mary Jane firmly placed in the 'ditz' category where she belongs, dammit.

Written by boringly named Brain Bendis / Later issues written by winners like Kolfax Mingo and Bobo Del'Air.

Supporting Cast is mostly other high school kids / Supporting Cast consists of Librarians, Pimps, B-Movie Directors, Monkeys, Bimbos, Hot Dog Vendors, and Kid-Tastic Musical Groups.

No plans for a storyline involving super-villains who mind-control gorillas to wash their laundry or who feed people magical insect hot dogs / Always planning for storylines involving super-villains who mind-control gorillas to wash their laundry or who feed people magical insect hot dogs.

Colors determined using the latest computer-generated shading and blending techniques on all surfaces / Colors determined by throwing darts at a color wheel.

Printed on slick and glossy high quality paper / Printed on paper you'd be afraid to wipe your *** with.

Mark Bagley has a great sense of layout, proportion, 3-dimensionality, camera angle, and action in his pencils / Winslow Mortimer draws some damn good-looking monkeys.

3 ho-hum villains in 8 issues / 3 completely insane villains in EVERY issue.

Big controversy about Uncle Ben having a pony-tail / Neatly sidestepped whole 'pony-tail' issue by not creating Uncle Ben in the first place.

Gets powers from some kind of drugged-up spider / Gets powers from good old radiation, just the way God intended it.

Spider-Man is all unsure of his powers and stuff / Spider-Man can create Web-Hang-Gliders and Web-Teapots in less time than it takes you to tell him that's physically impossible.

Has normal comic-book sound effects / Has wildly inappropriate sound effects that represent sounds that have never actually been made on the surface of the Earth.

Spider-Man gets beat up a lot / Spider-Man gets beat up a lot, and then saved by idiots armed only with seltzer water and some delicious gelatin dessert.

Harry Osborn - looks like renegade member of Backstreet Boys / Harry Osborn - still has the classic Brillo Pad haircut.

DIrishB said:
I thought it was pretty funny. Here's what he's talking about so you don't have to search through the page:

Yes that's what I was talking about, thanks. There are reviews of other Spidey Super Stories on that site just so you can see how insane they are and of course they also review Ultimate Spider-Man on that site.

Latest posts

Back