Ultimate Spiderman #104 discussion (Spoilers)

We need to find that pic.

Ask a ye shall recieve

GOGGLES.jpg

It sounds to me like there's more at work than the Oz serum, in giving Doc Ock his new powers.

KISS, anyone?

I thought this issue was ok.

There are some things that annoy me like Richard suddenly growing old. Why couldn't Bagley have drawn slight changes during the arc to show him getting older, instead of him suddenly going from young to old/dead?

The dialoge was really bad too, not just in this issue but the entire arc.

My biggest problem is the cliff-hanger. The final page of the book was just lame. So maybe Peter will consider not being Spider-Man anymore but he won't go through with it. By the way, why couldn't he just stop being Spider-Man? It's not as if someone has a gun to Peter's head, he can stop anytime he wants, he doesn't need to lose his powers to quit playing hero. Would you give up your powers when some crazy who knows your identity could come back at any time to kill you? I think not.

Besides if Pete lost his powers the entire world would implode because USM is the center of the Ultimate Universe.:D

Let's not forget the main reason it won't happen: Marvel likes to sell USM, and no spider powers would mean no more Ultimate Spider-man. The book couldn't continue. I don't think many people want to read Ultimate Peter Parker.

My biggest problem is the cliff-hanger. The final page of the book was just lame. So maybe Peter will consider not being Spider-Man anymore but he won't go through with it. By the way, why couldn't he just stop being Spider-Man? It's not as if someone has a gun to Peter's head, he can stop anytime he wants, he doesn't need to lose his powers to quit playing hero. Would you give up your powers when some crazy who knows your identity could come back at any time to kill you? I think not.

Because the whole thing about Peter is Powers and responsibility, if he doesnt have the power than he doesnt have the responsibility. Becasue of the incident with Uncle Ben he feels to his core the need to go out night after night and do good, he can never bring himself to just walk away. Because he feels it will come back to haunt him. Its a psychological thing.

Because the whole thing about Peter is Powers and responsibility, if he doesnt have the power than he doesnt have the responsibility. Becasue of the incident with Uncle Ben he feels to his core the need to go out night after night and do good, he can never bring himself to just walk away. Because he feels it will come back to haunt him. Its a psychological thing.

I understand that but how deep is his feeling of that responsibility? Wouldn't he feel obligated to keep his powers and to continue on with what he feels is his responsibility?

It's a bad idea for a story because we already know how it will go. Peter will feel conflicted for a while then eventually realize that he was meant to be Spider-Man. This has happened before and I don't think Bendis will add anything to this idea.

Same old Story. Same old Song and Dance.

I understand that but how deep is his feeling of that responsibility? Wouldn't he feel obligated to keep his powers and to continue on with what he feels is his responsibility?
Yes that is a conflict and if done well could make a good story
It's a bad idea for a story because we already know how it will go. Peter will feel conflicted for a while then eventually realize that he was meant to be Spider-Man. This has happened before and I don't think Bendis will add anything to this idea.

Yes, Bendis sucks

I understand that but how deep is his feeling of that responsibility?

How deep? Mario Bros-bottomless pit deep.

It's a huge part of the character's core. In every incarnation of Spideman there has always been "power/repsonsibilty" line tossed around. Hell...even in Spider-Girl, that's the reason she does it. Because of that driving feeling of responsibility.

Every hero lives by that creed. Not just Peter.

When I hear that creed given to Peter by Uncle Ben....it reminds me of Ultimates Vol.2 when they were fighting the alien invasion. Tony went down and started to panic.....then rescue workers tried to help him up and he started talking about how "he couldn't do this...". They responded with "If you won't...who will?"

That is what it boils down to.

Even if he didn't have powers....the drive to make a difference and help is still a part of him. He'd help if he could. One could even argue that this thought/feeling is so driven in him, who is he really? Spiderman or Peter Parker?

But this has happened many times in 616 so why would it be any different in UU?

To be quite honest....it's a great story. Even if Bendis decided to try that angle for a while---all he's doing is building on past events and decisions.

Like when he thought he could quit after Gwen's death. He was sucked back in. And now he's at a crossroads again. But this time it's MJ/May who are on the line. So maybe they might be the driving force that makes him wanna stick to the decision to not be Spiderman.

In the end, we all know what the bottomline choice is gonna be. But it's the story/journey that we read for.

Hey
Im new here and to comic books in general (got into them 3 months ago and almost have the entire UU collection).
Now that Ive briefed you on why I may something stupid, I'll get to the actual post.

I think this storyline has a lot of legs on it, Bendis has shown in the past that he can make Peter Parker issues interesting, I dont think it would be comletely out of the question for Peter to take the cure, but, through "fate" only wind up with them back. Im not completely up to date yet but has Madam Webb made an appearence yet? If not this could be a good point for her to step into the UU.
I agree that the book is gimmicky, but thats how you draw in the new readers. The Venom and Carnage books were all to draw in fresh blood.

I also agree that Bendis completely ****ed Doc Ock up, he basically made another Magneto in the UU. And why the hell would the explosion allow him to control metal? blech, he really did screw Ock up.

I think Bendis just wanted to do one final "big" arc before he leaves and I dont think he was too bothered about whether or not he screwed things up. Not the best way to end a 6 year tenure.

I think Bendis just wanted to do one final "big" arc before he leaves and I dont think he was too bothered about whether or not he screwed things up. Not the best way to end a 6 year tenure.

Welcome!

Bendis isn't leaving any time soon. The artist Mark Bagley is the one that's leaving after this next arc.

I think this storyline has a lot of legs on it, Bendis has shown in the past that he can make Peter Parker issues interesting, I dont think it would be comletely out of the question for Peter to take the cure, but, through "fate" only wind up with them back. Im not completely up to date yet but has Madam Webb made an appearence yet? If not this could be a good point for her to step into the UU.
I agree that the book is gimmicky, but thats how you draw in the new readers. The Venom and Carnage books were all to draw in fresh blood.

Madam Webb has appeared, as a telepath implanting false memories into the clones

VVD said:
Like when he thought he could quit after Gwen's death. He was sucked back in. And now he's at a crossroads again.
For a second there I thought you were talking about Bendis considering leaving the book.

A "damn" slipped thorugh my lips a second later though... :(

Latest posts

Back