Ultimate Spiderman Annual #1 discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 19 52.8%

Votes: 13 36.1%

Votes: 3 8.3%

Votes: 1 2.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

notTHATtodd

Gotta say I enjoyed this issue much more than the Ultimates one. It was a complete story and it did actually tie Spiderman to the X-men, continuity-wise well. Well written, liked the art. That said, wasn't that Rhino guy the guy he was never had a chance to fight back in issue 28? I thought he was taken out by Iron Man.

Anyway, go story all around, and having Kitty as the new girlfriend is great. I'm curious to see how it progresses through the plotlines.

Better than the Ultimates Annual.

-The Cover.
-Lotr references.
-The symmetry between the first and third page.
-The symmetry about being the school loser.
-Vote for Pedro shirt!
-The person on the blog/message board who thinks Spidey is FAT. :lol:
-The romance is really cute. They click really well together.
-Goggle! (Pete's such a perv.)
-The art is very stylish.
-Hey there's Peter from Skin Deep, only w/ Blonde hair!
-Always good to see Kong.
-The entire rooftop scene
-Shocker! Yes!
-Good to see people clapping.
-The Kiss!!!!!!
-Macchio

Dislikes:

-The ending. Yahoo.
-Spidey looks like a child when they swing towards the Shocker.
-Herman?

wanting to be spoiled

I dont know when the annual comes out in the UK so i dont know when i can get it but ive been looking forward to the annual. so can someone either post spoilers or send me a decent review of the issue!!!
thanks a lot :)

Zp1d3r_W3I3_L337 said:
I dont know when the annual comes out in the UK so i dont know when i can get it but ive been looking forward to the annual. so can someone either post spoilers or send me a decent review of the issue!!!
thanks a lot :)

Erm, look up... :roll:

When I got the issue I looked at the last page before buying. I looked at the cover, and I skimmed through before reading. I thought this was gonna be awful but Bendis did such a good job with the Peter/Kitty relationship, I'm kinda hopeing they do get together and I really hope the other writers work it into the title. I know Vaughn is smart enough so I'm not worried about continuity problems but this was a pleasant read and definitely exceeded my expectations.

I cant wait for this issue, this has been my most anticipated comic for a hell of a long time. Must....have.....now.....

notTHATtodd said:
That said, wasn't that Rhino guy the guy he was never had a chance to fight back in issue 28? I thought he was taken out by Iron Man.

Nope. The Rhino from issue 28 was a robot prototype that was doing a test run for Alex O'Hirn, who is an engineer or whatever. The one from the annual is the real Alex O'Hirn in a suit (straight outta the video game)

Nurhachi said:
I cant wait for this issue, this has been my most anticipated comic for a hell of a long time. Must....have.....now.....

Nope. The Rhino from issue 28 was a robot prototype that was doing a test run for Alex O'Hirn, who is an engineer or whatever. The one from the annual is the real Alex O'Hirn in a suit (straight outta the video game)

Wait, where exactly did you hear that? And if a guy was doing a test run, why the heck would he mess up the city?

Well, it beat the Ultimates Annual. I actually stuck my copy of that in an envelope and mailed it back to Marvel asking for my money back. This one, I'll keep. Although given the solicits for the end of gang wars... yikes.

Hey DIrish, this shoots your timeline all to hell now. HA HA!

And also follows my theory that the introduction of the Reavers and Omega Red in the upcoming arcs won't be solely Spidey stories.

He was seeing how strong and powerful it was. Alex O'Hirn was actually controlling the robot by remote control or whatever before deciding to go inside the suit. The one in the annual is actually R.H.I.N.O. v2.

This is all from his bio on the USM video game website

i hate my payday, i have to wait until stupid thursdays to get comics...grrrr :evil:

I liked the issue, a nice little change in the art, and a very charactor driven story....... it has my approval

This has temporarily restored my faith in Bendis' Ultimate Spidey....

The issue was adorable, and I think they make a fantastic couple.

Dr.Strangefate said:
This has temporarily restored my faith in Bendis' Ultimate Spidey....

The issue was adorable, and I think they make a fantastic couple.

Oddly enough, I agree. I walked into the comic shop, rather, I ran into the comic shop just to find out who the new girlfriend was. To my surprise, it was who I thought it was going to be, but didn't - Shadowcat. That said, I wasn't enthused about reading it, however, when I got into it, I got into it. I really like the whole issue and it's as strong as some of the old Ultimate Spider-Man stuff. I thought the relationship was sort of moving fast for a first date, but it's a contained story. I thought, that being said, it was really a good story.

Also, how does Kitty know Johnny Storm? I'd love to know if they've spoken before...

A Spider-Man, Shadowcat, Human Torch team up would be great...

Spiderman and His Amazing Friends.

Ok, I'll post my question here now. Did anyone else notice the date on the Forum Peter was checking out after fighting Rhino (Or R.H.I.NO. v. 2)? Cause the only thing you can see is the year, but it says 2005. That of course could be because they seem to like to take screen caps of their computers and just change certain things around to make it fit (like when Peter finds out who Black Cat is in Cats & Kings).

This issue sounds great.

Did the rest of the X-Men appear at all?

and can i assume this happens after the current Magneto arc in UXM?

Hey all, just bought the annual and some other comics. Gotta say, I REALLY liked this annual, simple, fun, and we finally get to see something going good in Peter's life. To be honest, this was the first USM I have read in a WHILE that I REALLY liked. In fact, while I am being honest, this is like the first issue i really liked since like 68 (i think). I felt the entire Hobgoblin arc was boring and rather predictable. Nothing crazy or even interesting was done. In fact, the ONLY interesting thing was Fury stated Peter's powers were going bye bye. But, Im sidetracking. This ANNUAL was by far an awesome read and I def. recommend picking it up. LOL, I feel like Lemar from Reading Rainbow for christ sakes...

jtg3885 said:
Well, it beat the Ultimates Annual. I actually stuck my copy of that in an envelope and mailed it back to Marvel asking for my money back. This one, I'll keep. Although given the solicits for the end of gang wars... yikes.

Hey DIrish, this shoots your timeline all to hell now. HA HA!

No it doesn't, look again. I had to make some changes to make it work, but it does.

Nurhachi said:
He was seeing how strong and powerful it was. Alex O'Hirn was actually controlling the robot by remote control or whatever before deciding to go inside the suit. The one in the annual is actually R.H.I.N.O. v2.

This is all from his bio on the USM video game website

OH, man. That is so much like the crap surrounding the Matrix sequels. In order to have known that, I needed to have looked somewhere unrelated to this specific issue (and, no I don't consider the comic and video game necessarily related because they share the same name. I direct anyone who disagrees with this view to the Raiders of the Lost Ark video game released by Atari). Before to long the comic will b referencing things that occurred the previous week on that Superdog Saturday morning cartoon. I'm okay with the idea of (attempting to) maintaining continuity between other comics from the same branding (i.e. Ultimate) but now I'm expected to include a video game as well...? Screw that.

Last edited:
notTHATtodd said:
OH, man. That is some much like the crap surrounding the Matrix sequels. In order to have known that, I needed to have looked somewhere unrelated to this specific issue (and, no I don't consider the comic and video game necessarily related because they share the same name. I direct anyone who disagrees with this view to the Raiders of the Lost Ark video game released by Atari). Before to long the comic will b referencing things that occurred the previous week on that Superdog Saturday morning cartoon. I'm okay with the idea of (attempting to) maintaining continuity between other comics from the same branding (i.e. Ultimate) but now I'm expected to include a video game as well...? Screw that.

YOu know why I agree with this. Because seeing how it seems like they don't give a damn about continuity anyway, why would they try to match up Video Game and Comic? If you ask me it's just so us suckers (and yes I'm a sucker) will immediately go out and buy the game. But still if they don't care enough within the comics themselves why try so hard to fit the game in with it?

Latest posts

Back