Ultimate Spiderman Annual #1 discussion (spoilers)

How would you rate this issue?

Votes: 19 52.8%

Votes: 13 36.1%

Votes: 3 8.3%

Votes: 1 2.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Goodwill said:
I'd give this a four...

The only thing I had wrong was that Bendis lengthened the issue by having Kitty simply fall to the sewer for a page. Millar got away with it to introduce her, but I think it's silly to have her fall through the street... It was obvious he was just filling the number of pages. There could have been a longer/better fight with Shocker. I'm tired of seeing him as a joke.
Uh, she falls into the junk of the building deliberately, because she's running away because she thinks Peter is going to think she's a slut or something. Then she comes back, I assume to try and justify her original comment.

And I'd rather see poor Shocker as the repetitive loser than a string of losers. Save some of them for potentially better roles than they got in 616.

jtg3885 said:
Uh, she falls into the junk of the building deliberately, because she's running away because she thinks Peter is going to think she's a slut or something. Then she comes back, I assume to try and justify her original comment.

She ran because she gave Peter the impression that she might like him and then had to face him. A normal teenage scenerio. It has absolutely nothing with what you just said.

Good issue. I liked the parallels, and it was cool to see Shocker show up yet again. As for Kitty and Pete. . .Bendis makes it work and I appluad him for making me see this pair as a good match, I'm just personally not a fan of this match up. I love Brook's art, very stylish. I hope the next two Annuals live up to this and Ultimates.

4/5

PS As for the video game. . .I understand where MWoF and DJF are comming from, but I agree with DIrish. I like that it's in continuity because it's going to be quite an awesome game. I'm hoping for an Ultimates game next! Because, to be honest, flying around as Thor and smashing things with Mjolner would be the coolest thing EVER!

I seem to be the only one who feels robbed of my $3.99, but I'm still going to b****. I don't know if it's because I don't regularly read USM, but this issue did nothing for me. Why the hell did Bendis have to pick the Annual as the moment to channel the writers of Dawson's Creek? I knew that Spiderman was going to get a girlfriend in the Annual, but I thought that the issue would be more than one long awkwardly drawn out date. I doubt this "relationship" is going to be mentioned that prominently in USM and I doubt we'll hear about it more than twice in UXM. In USM #82 we already see black cat hitting on Spiderman. How long can a long distance relationship last when the guy has got black cat hitting on him? Overall, the Annual turn out to be a filler issue. I hope the other Annuals do more to develop their respective series.

TheManWithoutFear said:
She ran because she gave Peter the impression that she might like him

I don't think it's that really - I mean she called him; she knew that he knew. But she felt stupid for being too forthcoming.

UltimateE said:
I don't think it's that really - I mean she called him; she knew that he knew. But she felt stupid for being too forthcoming.
Or he'd think she was a slut.

Although if they do have access to the SHIELD databases because of their alignment with Fury, she'd have known to find a mask and a black catsuit before seeing him. o_O

EDIT: Wow, had to edit that once twice to make it coherent. Time for a nap.

jtg3885 said:
Or he'd think she was a slut.

It be one thing if she was throwing herself on top of him, but she was just awkwardly inquiring about the potential of being his girlfriend.

can someone post a decent summary or just send it to me in a Private message please. i havent read it & its really frustrating only catching bits of the story

UltimateE said:
It be one thing if she was throwing herself on top of him, but she was just awkwardly inquiring about the potential of being his girlfriend.
Hey, I'm not saying that she was being one. That was probably her worry about his perception of her. I mean ****, she practically held up a sign that said "DATE ME!" at that point.

Nah, sign would have been less obvious.

jtg3885 said:
Hey, I'm not saying that she was being one. That was probably her worry about his perception of her. I mean ****, she practically held up a sign that said "DATE ME!" at that point.

Nah, sign would have been less obvious.

J, you're just looking for an excuse to make a harlet out of an innocent character. She wasn't throwing herself on anyone. She feared rejection and she wanted to show some form of interest without making it obvious. Then she realized she failed and got embarassed. End.

TheManWithoutFear said:
J, you're just looking for an excuse to make a harlet out of an innocent character. She wasn't throwing herself on anyone. She feared rejection and she wanted to show some form of interest without making it obvious. Then she realized she failed and got embarassed. End.
*snorts* Yes, this from the character who wants to be with Bobby even though she doesn't even like him, and admits as much, just so someone will like her? Innocent my ***.

This whole thing was about throwing herself at someone new because she didn't want to be single, even though she was single for a whopping... how long is it between UXM's annual and USM's? And it wasn't even anyone she knew, and we get her to admit that too. She thinks he's cute, and that's evidently enough for her to 'love' him.

Kitty-cat has issssssues.

Then again, Peter evidently likes not only girls with issues, but cat-themed girls.

So they're a good pair.

And MWoF? *coughCOUGH*HARLOT*COUGHcough* Man, six letter word.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You make it seem like every character belongs in a half-way house. Just relax. They're adolescents. They don't have issues and for God's sake Peter does not have a Cat fetish.
Kitty steals Bobby from Marie just to have someone like her by pushing the physical aspect (or lack thereof) of Bobby and Marie's relationship. And then she's surprised when he tries to reconnect to the real relationship he maintained with Marie instead of the physical one with a girl who doesn't even really like him? And then goes and pounces on Peter.

Yeah, they have issues. It's called trying to connect with the reader. If the characters don't have issues, people on here complain they're one or two dimensional.

Well, Peter actually seems to have a black fetish. He likes the Black Cat, gets caught staring at Elektra's rack, and Kitty-cat has a black and yellow uniform.

Although if I see her running around with some sort of cat-eared headband anytime in the near future, I'm going back to the cat fetish idea. Black Cat, Shadowcat... hey, can we borrow Hellcat from the Defenders for a bit?

jtg3885 said:
Kitty steals Bobby from Marie just to have someone like her by pushing the physical aspect (or lack thereof) of Bobby and Marie's relationship. And then she's surprised when he tries to reconnect to the real relationship he maintained with Marie instead of the physical one with a girl who doesn't even really like him? And then goes and pounces on Peter.
THEY'RE KIDS!!!!!!!!!! It's a dawson's creek love triangle! :roll: You gonna tell me Dawson's creek is heavy?

jtg3885 said:
Yeah, they have issues. It's called trying to connect with the reader. If the characters don't have issues, people on here complain they're one or two dimensional.
Look if you want to think of it in some erotic fashion and that's how you "Connect" with it, that's great. Don't forget your preaching of a kid friendly site... Cat/Black Fetishes and easy women. Should be left out. As for characterizing females. I give Bendis a lot of respect for his Mary Jane after the "dumped" issue and I'm sure he realizes that girls don't have to be interesting in the sense that you certainly wish they were. So the characters are much more than two dimensional without making them seriously disturbed.

Well, Peter actually seems to have a black fetish. He likes the Black Cat, gets caught staring at Elektra's rack, and Kitty-cat has a black and yellow uniform.

Although if I see her running around with some sort of cat-eared headband anytime in the near future, I'm going back to the cat fetish idea. Black Cat, Shadowcat... hey, can we borrow Hellcat from the Defenders for a bit?

Now im just spitballing here but you dont seem to like the pairing (or at least the timing of it with the story) :p

Hey, I love it. I'm just trying to get MWoF to admit that Bendis may have teenagers right on the nose by portraying them with the problems I notice. I hate to break it to him, but teenagers DO have issues. For them to be realistic teenage characters they NEED to have issues. Sex, hormones, and all that rot are also a facet of teenage life.

Peter's got all kinds of crap related to the death of his parents and Ben and now Gwen. He's gotten overprotective over the remaining people of his life because of those, and it ends up ending his relationship with Mary Jane.

Mary Jane's got familial issues because of her ******* father, and is so caught up in trying to stay an active part of her superhero boyfriend's life that she nearly gets her *** killed. Twice. Well, the bridge wasn't her fault, but the Hobgoblin crap was.

Gwen... don't even get me started on Gwen.

May... well, she's not a teenager, but have you READ the therapy issue? Yikes.

Flash even has issues. He slams Gwen in what turns out to be a slightly more grown-up version of pulling a girl's pigtails in elementary school because you like her. I kinda wish that back in the Geldoff arc they had talked, because it would have been nice to see Gwen have a little happiness between her father's death and getting knocked off.

This entire issue is about Kitty's romantic dysfunctions and the fact that her dysfunctions and Peter's dysfunctions connect enough that they make a good couple.

I just don't see why people are having a problem admitting that Kitty has sex-related issues. She hurls her body at Bobby in order to garner attention, stays with him and acts like she likes him enough to be a jealous girlfriend over Marie, and then turns out to not even care about him, but wants him to care about her just so somebody does. Then there's the whole 'love' aspect of her thing for Peter which borders on creepy (and is strangely similar to Peter's other Cat), and this is before they've even spent any time together outside of Peter/X-Men group contact. She... has... issues...

Surely the rest of you can admit it. And I think if it was anyone other than me, MWoF would admit it too, but we've seen numerous times in the past that he has problems with objectivity whenever I'm concerned.

Last edited:
My $0.2

Hey, I love it. I'm just trying to get MWoF to admit that Bendis may have teenagers right on the nose by portraying them with the problems I notice. I hate to break it to him, but teenagers DO have issues. For them to be realistic teenage characters they NEED to have issues. Sex, hormones, and all that rot are also a facet of teenage life.

Peter's got all kinds of crap related to the death of his parents and Ben and now Gwen. He's gotten overprotective over the remaining people of his life because of those, and it ends up ending his relationship with Mary Jane.

This entire issue is about Kitty's romantic dysfunctions and the fact that her dysfunctions and Peter's dysfunctions connect enough that they make a good couple.

I just don't see why people are having a problem admitting that Kitty has sex-related issues. She hurls her body at Bobby in order to garner attention, stays with him and acts like she likes him enough to be a jealous girlfriend over Marie, and then turns out to not even care about him, but wants him to care about her just so somebody does. Then there's the whole 'love' aspect of her thing for Peter which borders on creepy (and is strangely similar to Peter's other Cat), and this is before they've even spent any time together outside of Peter/X-Men group contact. She... has... issues...

The way i see it, she has had a crush on peter for a LONG time but thought nothing would come of it because first she didn't know who he was then second she didnt speak to him again after he made a fool out of himself by leaking his identity to the team. so she went out with bobby because she wanted a boyfriend even though she still wanted to be with peter, bobby was the substitute.

when she felt threatened with bobby she reacted to defend herself, so then she was single & she realised that she had a chance with pete & she wasn't going to settle this time

as far as im concerned peter NEVER felt THAT strongly about mary because he hasnt exactly reacted much to the break up, he just thought he did because he had no comparisons. he had several encounters with other female heroes/villians whom he was attracted too e.g. kitty, jean, elektra, black cat. & on each occasion he barely remember mary existed.

when he realised kitty was interested im guessing he remembered all the times they met & that they were comfortable together (or something like that) & well...there ya go

thats my opinion anyway

I've always wondered what naughty thoughts Peter had going through his head about Jean Grey that made her make those expressions. I mean, she lives in a house full of men. Surely she's 'heard' it all before...

I knew Peter was a freaky boy...

I've always wondered what naughty thoughts Peter had going through his head about Jean Grey that made her make those expressions. I mean, she lives in a house full of men. Surely she's 'heard' it all before...

I knew Peter was a freaky boy...

haha, yeah tbf i think it was just that he didnt stop thinking about it for a while & she was getting annoyed by it...otherwise im guessing it involved webbing because if i remember he kept looking at his wrists as well

Latest posts

Back