Ultimate Timeline FAQ

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Here's the Ultimate Timeline FAQ, which is a work in progress. I'll be adding more as time goes by and more questions are asked.

1.) Why did you place the early UFF arcs before everything else?

This is the most oft-asked question I get regarding the timeline. And the answer is in the titles themselves. While in UFF #5 there is a reference to the Ultimates, in Ultimates #2 there's also a reference to the FF, so either one could come first. I chose to place the UFF first due to their appearances and related mentions in UMTU #14 and the USM Super Special #1. This is to keep discrepancies to a minimum. Its also possible that the Ultimates team Dr. Storm is referring to are the SHIELD Black Ops team, which was in existence at the time.

As for Reed Richards and Tony Stark going to school together, we have to ignore this mention in the UMTU #4 issue about Tony's past as we know from UFF and UIM that this couldn't have taken place. As I've said, I believe the origin Peter gives for Tony in UMTU #4 is merely a fake origin concocted by Tony for whatever reason, so as to retain some privacy in regards to his past/childhood.

2.) What about Ultimate Iron Man, doesn't it clash with the UMTU issues?

Yes, it does. And the answer to this question is Orson Scott Card is a moron. Simple as that. The guy did zero research into the character of Ultimate Iron Man/Tony Stark it seems, so we can't chalk it up to anything other than that.

3.) Should the UMTU issues be included in the timeline?

Many people choose to ignore the UMTU issues due to the UFF timeline problems, but personally I feel they should be included (except #9 that is, see below), as they are mentioned later on in many instances (#2-3, #10, #11, #14, #15-16) and in some cases are very important stories overall. The way I've positioned everything on the timeline makes some sense of the UFF timeline problems.

4.) Speaking of UMTU, whats the deal with #9?

UMTU #9 is the only issue which isn't included in the timeline due to it not even being considered canonical by Bendis himself. Not only does it not work with the established continuity (the Ultimate version of the Skrulls are the Chitauri, and looks nothing like the 616 Skrulls), but its a joke issue. As I said, Bendis doesn't consider it a part of the overall Ultimate continuity, so read this story only for fun, don't worry about it fitting in with the timeline.

5.) Is Marvel Zombies a part of the Ultimate Universe?

Yes and no. The world the zombies occupy is an Earth in a parallel reality to the Ultimate Universe. So yes, they are in the same multi-verse, so in that sense related, but it doesn't take place in the same reality as the other Ultimate titles. However, I've included it in the timeline as it is a continuation of a story directly from an Ultimate title.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
If you have a question or suggestion regarding the timeline, place it here and I'll probably add it into the first post.

I would mention UMTU #9 and what Bendis said, just so it's answered, because even though we consider it common knowledge the question still comes up once in a while.

vintsukka said:
Maybe could mention Marvel Zombies and it being relevant although not actually happening in the UU.
Good call (mainly because I was about to bring that up:))

How was Tony able to go to college with Reed if Tony is a fair few years older?

vintsukka said:
Maybe could mention Marvel Zombies and it being relevant although not actually happening in the UU.

Done and...

Guijllons said:
How was Tony able to go to college with Reed if Tony is a fair few years older?

Included this with the first question, since it covers the UFF issues and the second addresses UIM, I figured that was the best place to answer it.

Latest posts

Back