Ultimate Titles Release Date Thread?

joshwill80

Hi all,

Been awhile since I have read any comics, but I'm looking to get back into them. I figured I would catch up with the Ultimate line. I was wondering if anyone could create a title release date thread. I'm planning on reading the entire Ultimate line from start to finish.

I would like a release date thread so that I can read them in the right order. I want to read them by the dates they were released so that it all makes since to me.

The TBP timeline thread is close to what I'm looking for, but I would like a thread that goes by single issues instead of TPB's (and includes things such as the annuals). The timeline/chronology thread is great, but reading in that order, some things probably won't make since to me. That thread shows future release dates in this format:

September, 2005
09/21/05
Ultimate Fantastic Four #23
Ultimate Fantastic Four Annual #1
The Ultimates 2 #8
09/22/05
Ultimate Spider-Man - The Video Game (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance, PC)
09/28/05
Ultimate Spider-Man #83
Ultimate Iron Man #4
Ultimate Secret #3

I guess what I'm looking for is a thread that show info like this, but for the whole Ultimate Marvel universe. It would really help supply people like me, or people new to the Ultimate universe with a good reading order. I find it easier to read different titles, then to try and sit down and read 82 straight issues of Ultimate Spidey.

Anyway, could this be done? Perhaps be made into a sticky? I don't have a clue about where to find the information, and how to organize it all, but I could help out with it. I have looked at other Ultimate sites for release dates, but the info is usually incomplete. Maybe this is a project DIrishB could do, since he seems to have much of this info anyway? I thought this site would probably be the best place to ask for such a request. Maybe it's in the forums here already, and I missed it?

Anyone else think this would be a good idea? Or would it take to much time and effort to complete?

Welcome. :D

joshwill80 said:
Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Not really. The date the book appeared in stores doesn't mean anything to the story, nor to the sequence of events in the story. DIrishB's timeline thread tells you everything you need to know if you want to read things in chronilogical order, and I do mean everything - right down to the page.

joshwill80 said:
Or would it take to much time and effort to complete?

Way more than anyone has time for, I'm sure.

yea, the more i think about it, the more i see just how impractical it would be. i guess i will go with the TBP timeline thread, as it is simpler to follow. thanks for the reply :D

joshwill80 said:
Hi all,

Been awhile since I have read any comics, but I'm looking to get back into them. I figured I would catch up with the Ultimate line. I was wondering if anyone could create a title release date thread. I'm planning on reading the entire Ultimate line from start to finish.

I would like a release date thread so that I can read them in the right order. I want to read them by the dates they were released so that it all makes since to me.

Not sure about a release date thread (I have upcoming releases listed in the Timeline thread, but not for the past issues) but the timeline thread has EVERY issue in chronological order.

The TBP timeline thread is close to what I'm looking for, but I would like a thread that goes by single issues instead of TPB's (and includes things such as the annuals). The timeline/chronology thread is great, but reading in that order, some things probably won't make since to me. That thread shows future release dates in this format:

Right, thats why the timeline thread itself is a chronological ordering, not based only on release dates. And it does go by the single issues. Every one released, and every one announced so far.

September, 2005
09/21/05
Ultimate Fantastic Four #23
Ultimate Fantastic Four Annual #1
The Ultimates 2 #8
09/22/05
Ultimate Spider-Man - The Video Game (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Gameboy Advance, PC)
09/28/05
Ultimate Spider-Man #83
Ultimate Iron Man #4
Ultimate Secret #3

Yes, thats the release dates, but not necessarily the chronological order.

I guess what I'm looking for is a thread that show info like this, but for the whole Ultimate Marvel universe. It would really help supply people like me, or people new to the Ultimate universe with a good reading order. I find it easier to read different titles, then to try and sit down and read 82 straight issues of Ultimate Spidey.

Thats what the timeline does basically. Just instead of ordering it by release date, it does so by the story in the books themselves, so you're basically reading the entire Ultimate universe run as ONE BIG LONG STORY.

Anyway, could this be done? Perhaps be made into a sticky? I don't have a clue about where to find the information, and how to organize it all, but I could help out with it. I have looked at other Ultimate sites for release dates, but the info is usually incomplete. Maybe this is a project DIrishB could do, since he seems to have much of this info anyway? I thought this site would probably be the best place to ask for such a request. Maybe it's in the forums here already, and I missed it?

Ehhh, I've got my hands full as is with the timeline. Plus a lot of my issues are collected in trades, so I can't find out their exact release dates since I don't have the individual issues. You might want to try this site, as it has exactly what you seem to be asking for, though its incomplete in many respects. Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.sequart.com/ultimatechronology.htm

Again, this isn't a chronological ordering necessarily, just the order of release. Like I said, if you want to sit down and read everything in an order for it to make sense across all the titles, use the timeline. Even then, due to the chronology discrepancies a few things will still stick out like a sore thumb, but there's nothing to do about it at the time being.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea? Or would it take to much time and effort to complete?

You're always more than welcome to. I think it might be a good idea.

yea, i came across that link DIrish. as you said, it's pretty incomplete. The reason I was looking for a list that goes by release date instead of chronolgy is that I thoguht it might make more since. for example, i have never read any Ultimate FF yet. if i started with issue 21 like your timeline says, it might not make much since, especially to someone totally new to comics, or even the ultimate universe. i thought that reading them by publication date would make more since.

secondly, only reading pages at a time, instead of whole issues could become confusing. a lot of comics don't show the page number.

i just thought that reading in order by publication date would make things simpler. problem is, it's hard to find a list like that. i suppose i could just copy and paste ultimate titles from diamond comics release lists, if i can find the time.

the tpb timeline thread is a nice alternative. a tbp timeline including current series and issues not in tbp form yet would be nice (like the annuals and spidey 79-82 for example). maybe showing those in a different color text or something. then removing those from the post as they become published in tbp form.

i'm not complaining about your timeline at all. it's great and very highly detailed. i imagine it's great for everyone on here. i would rather prefer to read by publication date though. that's probably just me, and i'm probably just being picky. maybe i can create what i'm looking for and post it here if anyone would be interested?

joshwill80 said:
yea, i came across that link DIrish. as you said, it's pretty incomplete. The reason I was looking for a list that goes by release date instead of chronolgy is that I thoguht it might make more since. for example, i have never read any Ultimate FF yet. if i started with issue 21 like your timeline says, it might not make much since, especially to someone totally new to comics, or even the ultimate universe. i thought that reading them by publication date would make more since.

secondly, only reading pages at a time, instead of whole issues could become confusing. a lot of comics don't show the page number.

This is true, I just count out the pages most of the time. And you're right about things making sense. I mean in the overall sense it'll make sense, but it'll take awhile to "get" the point by reading it strictly adhering to the timeline. But it is the way it all plays out.

i just thought that reading in order by publication date would make things simpler. problem is, it's hard to find a list like that. i suppose i could just copy and paste ultimate titles from diamond comics release lists, if i can find the time.

the tpb timeline thread is a nice alternative. a tbp timeline including current series and issues not in tbp form yet would be nice (like the annuals and spidey 79-82 for example). maybe showing those in a different color text or something. then removing those from the post as they become published in tbp form.

i'm not complaining about your timeline at all. it's great and very highly detailed. i imagine it's great for everyone on here. i would rather prefer to read by publication date though. that's probably just me, and i'm probably just being picky. maybe i can create what i'm looking for and post it here if anyone would be interested?

Nah, you're not being picky, you're just trying to do it in the way you think will work best for you, which makes sense to me. If you do end up making the release timeline, I'm sure E would sticky it. Good luck with it.

joshwill80 said:
I was wondering if anyone could create a title release date thread. [...] The TBP timeline thread is close to what I'm looking for, but I would like a thread that goes by single issues instead of TPB's (and includes things such as the annuals).
Just so you know, the TPB list doesn't have anything to do with release dates either, it's a chronological order of the story based on DIrishB's timeline.

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time it would take to hunt down that data. I don't know of any site that keeps track of release dates. Doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

If you did the work and were dedicated to keeping it updated like DIB does the timeline thread, I wouldn't have a problem sticky-ing it. I personally haven't heard of anyone asking for something like that, so I can't say if anyone would use it...but who knows?

UltimateE said:
I can't even begin to imagine the amount of time it would take to hunt down that data. I don't know of any site that keeps track of release dates. Doesn't mean there isn't one out there.
I believe Uncanny X-men.net keeps the months, at least for for X-men and the couple of crossover ones they've summarized.

well i just created my own list :D i just copied and pasted from the diamond shipping archives. boring work, but it did not take long. it does not show dates, as that would just take me too long to do. it's basically one long list, with brakes in a couple places to indicate the year. i'll post it in a seperate thread. i don't know if anyone will find it useful but i'll post it anyway.

Latest posts

Back