Ultimate Wonder man

I liked the idea about him wanting to steal the spotlight, but a character like that is probably going to get killed off fast because they aren't focused on the seriousness of what they're doing, right?

In logic that would work. But, if you've read X-statix, you can easily see how a media-oriented super hero or team could function.

Oh wonderman was rubbish. Should not be done, but vision, oh yes. Just to see the jealousy in Pietro's face as wanda finds someone(something?) more 'advanced' than he is.

(Given that they are in fact getting in on at the moment, and that the reason for it is that they see themselves as the ultimate perfection in not just all humanity but in homo-superior because of their upbringing, so anything lower than each other would not be an option, and this is why wanda falls for vision because he's 'hyper-perfect')

Hehe, maybe so. But it certainly looks like Pietro and Wanda are closer than your usual brother and sister. And my hypothesis is certainly valid. I doubt the topic will get explored much further in the books though, just an underlying creepiness about them.

My friend and I were discussing this a couple months back, and since Millar is scheduled to leave the The Ultimates characters after this season, it's likely that Marvel will try to get someone else to write more stories about them after.

That possibility considered, I think it's likely that Wonder Man could be introduced in the same vein many of the lame-o concepts have been introduced into Bendis' work on Ultimate Spider-Man (i.e. Venom, Carnage, Spidey impersonator) or Vaughan's work on Ultimate X-Men (i.e. Sinister, Mojo) which is to take fundamentally stupid concepts and try to make them plausible.

One way to do that is to conceive of Wonder Man as another post-human who has exploited his resistance to injury as a celebrity asset: A Jackass-type performer gone over the top, using his immense family fortune and connections to throw himself into extreme situations (like say, the vacuum of outer space) that would kill a normal man for the perverse entertainment of an increasingly tawdry television culture.

I'm still having difficulty seeing how to tie this into the Ultimates itself, but it's possible that SHIELD would try to overstep its jurisdiction by pulling a crack-down on Wonder Man's stunts and justify it as their usual attempts to control post-human activity and representation.

ourchair said:
I'm still having difficulty seeing how to tie this into the Ultimates itself, but it's possible that SHIELD would try to overstep its jurisdiction by pulling a crack-down on Wonder Man's stunts and justify it as their usual attempts to control post-human activity and representation.

Interesting considering it would be the first "good guy" with superpowers SHIELD forces to join, right? I mean we've had Spiderman - too young, all the others were bad guys. SW and QS - Who are more or less hiding from their mutant community.

ourchair said:
One way to do that is to conceive of Wonder Man as another post-human who has exploited his resistance to injury as a celebrity asset: A Jackass-type performer gone over the top, using his immense family fortune and connections to throw himself into extreme situations (like say, the vacuum of outer space) that would kill a normal man for the perverse entertainment of an increasingly tawdry television culture.

That last bits easy to solve. Someone at SHIELD notices normal humans are chucking other mutants in front of cars and throwing molotov cocktails at them just to see something exciting happen. SHIELD can't let such human rights abuse go on, mutants or not. Even as shady as Fury is, he wouldn't and the Ultimates certainly wouldn't. The character interaction that would provide as well could be interesting.

Welcome!

I'm thinking SHIELD sticks with the much larger stuff, though... I'm sure that that sort of thing is too low for them to reach.

Depends on what kind of scale it is. Remember, you just can't underestimate the influence of tv and stuff these days. People just get fixated on it.

Caduceus said:
That last bits easy to solve. Someone at SHIELD notices normal humans are chucking other mutants in front of cars and throwing molotov cocktails at them just to see something exciting happen. SHIELD can't let such human rights abuse go on, mutants or not. Even as shady as Fury is, he wouldn't and the Ultimates certainly wouldn't. The character interaction that would provide as well could be interesting.

Welcome!

The idea that mutants and other posthumans might become the victims of inhumane rights abuses out of sheer novelty seems plausible, in the same way one might exploit the bearded lady or the fish boy. But on the other hand, it seems kind of silly to imagine that posthumans are helpless to being chucked in front of cars seems silly.

But this does lead to an interesting possibility, in that posthumans can exploit their talents to gain the upper leg on certain fields, in the same way African Americans have been able to use their height to profit in basketball. It creates a legal dilemma, which is when and where do the legal implications of posthuman abilities end?

Clearly, a man who uses his superior height to do well in basketball or his streamlined physique to win swimming competitions is using innate abilities, talents and practice. But what happens when posthumans enter the equation?

There's a whole lot of talk in the X-Men subset of the universe (Ultimate or otherwise) about homo superior as the next step, but we don't see enough attention to any implications beyond ideology. The situation I'm visualizing is akin to how universities are now encouraged to divide their racial demographic to represent a "balanced" campus body.

Now that the government in the Ultimate universe has decided to acknowledge the fact that for better or worse, homo superior is a part of the changing political landscape it would be interesting to see how that affects practical dimensions like how one applies powers in a land like America, founded upon a labor ideal of egalitarianism and opportunity.

ourchair said:
The idea that mutants and other posthumans might become the victims of inhumane rights abuses out of sheer novelty seems plausible, in the same way one might exploit the bearded lady or the fish boy. But on the other hand, it seems kind of silly to imagine that posthumans are helpless to being chucked in front of cars seems silly.

But the ones that can help themselves can only do it in a dangerous way. Either they move or stop the truck, probably damaging or destroying it and a good bit of surrounding property, or they get out of the way, cheating the crowd of its fun and setting them off.

Latest posts

Back