Ultimate X-characters with possible N-Zone connections

compound

Within the Ultimate X-Universe, several characters/ideas stand out as possible connections to the N-Zone concept introduced in Ultimate Fantastic Four:

The Siege Perilous -- artifact that opens a portal into the N-Zone. Characters who pass through it emerge in a new "phase-space state", giving the illusion of "rebirth". Might be a useful way to reinvent characters who have gotten stale, eventually ;)

Gateway -- Aborigine mutant who folds space within the N-Zone, for several moments at a time (might also be used as the premise for Exodus)

Lila Cheyney -- in the Ultimate Universe, she's a blonde, whiny, necktie-wearing faux-punk-rocker with raccoon-eye make-up, riding on the coat-tails of Dazzler's success. Oh, and she can open passageways into the N-Zone.

The Shi'Ar -- what appears to be a new interstellar species are, in fact ordinarly earthlings, a few steps in the evolutionary ladder, above homo superior. They come from a time when humankind has mastered travel through the N-Zone, and the crew whom the X-Men encounter are just a motley group of travellers who have accidentally wandered backwards into present-day time-space.

Illyana Rasputin. We already know she exists in the UU -- Peter has mentioned her before. Her power manifests early, allowing her to open up a personal dimensional rift, into the N-Zone. As a child, she enters a portal that she creates, and emerges immediately as a teenager -- an alternate "phase-space state", similar to the FF's transformation. Don't know how the whole Soulsword business would fit into this. :?

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Something about your treatment of the Shi'Ar reminds me of the Neutrino Kids from the Ninja Turtles. :p

But in all seriousness, I think Sauron would be justifiable if he came from the N-Zone. Or if the Savage Land was one of the many dying planets from the N-Zone, a sort of ecologically diverse planet much similar to Earth but whose evolutionary process is in a suspended state due to the fact that the cosmological physics of the N-Zone are now collapsing.

Erm, I think that the N-zone should be handled very very carefully. I don't want to see too much of dimensional reality time space shifting stuff.

I never liked the Shi'ar anyway. I think illyana should stay as she is right now. I'd like Gateway to be taken back to the concept of dreamtime and re-extrapolated from that (more akin to the guys Sam Wilson was studying in the Amazon). Lila Cheney I don't know an awful lot about, and nor the siege perilous. Though the idea of an artifact that opens a gateway when scientists have been working on it for an age seems a bit blah really.

Sorry for the negative response.

Last edited:
ourchair said:
But in all seriousness, I think Sauron would be justifiable if he came from the N-Zone. Or if the Savage Land was one of the many dying planets from the N-Zone, a sort of ecologically diverse planet much similar to Earth but whose evolutionary process is in a suspended state due to the fact that the cosmological physics of the N-Zone are now collapsing.
But we already have a Savage Land on earth. Why would Sauron come from some other similar/wanabe Savage Land?

compound said:
Illyana Rasputin. We already know she exists in the UU -- Peter has mentioned her before. Her power manifests early, allowing her to open up a personal dimensional rift, into the N-Zone. As a child, she enters a portal that she creates, and emerges immediately as a teenager -- an alternate "phase-space state", similar to the FF's transformation. Don't know how the whole Soulsword business would fit into this. :?
The Soulsword could be some kind of tech she picked up from when she was in the N-zone. It would mean you'd have to have her stay in the N-zone rather than as a phase space in potentia bu it could still work out fairly well.

This said, I 'd really prefer that not to many people came from one source. The N-zone is one of the sources I don't want people jumping out of randomly.

Caduceus said:
This said, I 'd really prefer that not to many people came from one source. The N-zone is one of the sources I don't want people jumping out of randomly.
I agree with you on that one, if only because I think there's a possibility that the N-Zone isn't the only cosmological source of genetic alterations. I mean between mutants, experimental biology and the N-Zone we have only three sources of powers right now in the Ultimate Universe and tying most of the new characters (particularly UFF ones) into the N-Zone could be problematic.

But I think compound's at least onto something, in that the N-Zone shouldn't just be limited to the UFF, and function as a plot device for some other titles.

ourchair said:
I agree with you on that one, if only because I think there's a possibility that the N-Zone isn't the only cosmological source of genetic alterations. I mean between mutants, experimental biology and the N-Zone we have only three sources of powers right now in the Ultimate Universe and tying most of the new characters (particularly UFF ones) into the N-Zone could be problematic.

But I think compound's at least onto something, in that the N-Zone shouldn't just be limited to the UFF, and function as a plot device for some other titles.
I agree, I just don't want it to turn into another Weapon X or Oscorp or Hammer failed genetic experiment.

That said X-men's ideological basis rest on conflict between mutants and either humans or other mutants. There are options for stories about the way other minorities are accepted but the central idea of the title remains mutnat relations.. If their enemies start comng from the N-zone, it doesn't make sense, the X-men are just fighting bad guys. Its lacking in conflict other than the simplest form.

ourchair said:

Perhaps i'm in the minority here, but I always like the way Ellis, Millar, et al. used the dual concepts of The Bleed and the Snowflake Universe as factors explaining superhuman activity in the various re-invinted Wildstorm titles (Planetary, The Authority, etc.)

That's really what I had in mind, when I suggested a link between the N-Zone and certain X-characters.

Unfortunely, I got a little out of hand, when conceptualizing examples, admittedly. I'll excercise more critical restraint, next time I decide to geek out like that. :p

compound said:
Within the Ultimate X-Universe, several characters/ideas stand out as possible connections to the N-Zone concept introduced in Ultimate Fantastic Four:

The Siege Perilous -- artifact that opens a portal into the N-Zone. Characters who pass through it emerge in a new "phase-space state", giving the illusion of "rebirth". Might be a useful way to reinvent characters who have gotten stale, eventually ;)

Gateway -- Aborigine mutant who folds space within the N-Zone, for several moments at a time (might also be used as the premise for Exodus)

Lila Cheyney -- in the Ultimate Universe, she's a blonde, whiny, necktie-wearing faux-punk-rocker with raccoon-eye make-up, riding on the coat-tails of Dazzler's success. Oh, and she can open passageways into the N-Zone.

The Shi'Ar -- what appears to be a new interstellar species are, in fact ordinarly earthlings, a few steps in the evolutionary ladder, above homo superior. They come from a time when humankind has mastered travel through the N-Zone, and the crew whom the X-Men encounter are just a motley group of travellers who have accidentally wandered backwards into present-day time-space.

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Nightcrawler ;).

Turtle Power!!!

ourchair said:
Something about your treatment of the Shi'Ar reminds me of the Neutrino Kids from the Ninja Turtles. :p

neutrinos!!!! i loved that episode as a kid (the 1st time they appeared) heroes in a half shell!!!

quote from marvel universe trading cards series 3 advertisement...

"kids have chosen their favorite mutants....and they aint turtles"

ourchair said:

Hehehe. No, actually, what I had in mind was something more like Star Trek:Voyager, with Ultimate Lilandra as a take-no-bull Janeway type (a truly fitting, if temporary, love interest for that manipulative sick puppy, Professor Xavier).

And I made it a point to include the Ultimate Shi'Ar's evolved-form-of-homo-superior origins *precisely* as a way to keep things in sync with the title's focus on evolutionary/natural selection themes.

Eh... I think the ideas are good...

But the N-Zone, Space, or Time Travel would destroy the tone of UXM, in my oppinion. If it were a mini-series that the X-men got involved with to some extent, and it was where we got the Shi'ar Empire, that I'd be fine with....

...I just think that the X-Men should be about fighting for human rights and against government discrimination, while at the same time having big Gov't conspiracies through Xavier and Wolverine... Unless they manage to resolve that all... which shouldnt happen, I want them to stay home.

Am I alone in not wanting the N-Zone outside of the Fantastic Four or maybe the Ultimates????

I can handle the Ultimates being involved with the N-zone in some way, though I'd not like to see them flying through it in a rocket ship.
But essentially, the N-zone is a bit of a toy-around offshoot of the FF to me, it's not to be taken all too seriously.
If it NEEDS to be the N-zone, then so be it, but if it can conceivably be done without resorting to that, or to other old ideas (the supersoldiers, weapon X), then it's preferable to keep it Earth based.

Latest posts

Back