Ultimate X-Force & Deadpool idea (feat. USM)

compound

Okay, I confess -- I'm a long-time X-Force fan. I started reading the initial New Mutants title at 13 years old, shortly after Liefeld took over pencilling duties. Admittedly, I was thrilled by the over-the-top "kewl"-ness of it all. I followed it beyond its relaunch as X-Force, and continued with the series, on and off, throughout the 90s. By the time Milligan and Allred took over in 2001, my own tastes had expanded and matured, so I loved their completely irreverent take on the new, media-hungry group.

I wanted to come up with a set of Ultimate characters who somehow paid homage to BOTH Liefeld's original group, as well as the mean-spirited self-reflexive fame-whoring of the Milligan/Allred version.

So I came up with the bright idea of contrasting them with Ultimate Spider-Man, and his almost dogmatic power/responsibility schtick. With that in mind, I give you my treatment for Spider-Man: "Extreme".

Ultimate Spider-Man: "Extreme", part 1., "Young Blood"

It's spring break! And like many ordinary teenagers, Peter Parker and the gang (MJ, Liz, Kong, and Flash) head down to Fort Lauterdale to catch some rays.

Kong is excited because of rumors that X-Force will be aapearing at the popular vacation spot. As Kong explains, X-Force are an illegal group of reckless young mutants, who are more interested in taking digital videos of their juvenile, super-powered exploits and selling them on the Internet for money, than they are in saving the world.

Sure enough, while the party is in full swing on the beachfront, X-Force's helicopter descends from the sky, in attention-grabbing fashion. At the moment, the group is comprised of:

Cannonball, the de facto leader, an over-emotional Southern kid, who is best known for "blastin'" through a row of brick walls in his invulnerable form, as a way of getting over his ex;

Skids, a happy-go-lucky lesbian skater girl, who uses her ability to generate tangible force shields mostly for developing innovative tricks with her board;

Rictor, a cocky, short-tempered Latino with earth-shaking tectonic abilities who has joined the group mostly as an excuse to publicize his anti-capitalist views about globalization -- to mostly uninterested audiences;

and Boomer, a bored middle-class girl whose timed-release energy blasts were once fodder for petty webcam shows; Boomer signed up for the group mostly to piss off her do-gooder liberal folks;

Their activities are documented by a Digital Optical Observation Protocol (or D.O.O.P.), an intelligent robotic device which objectively records the actions of its "self-friends" from the most interesting camera angles possible.

X-Force work at the service of a ruthless "talent manager" named Coach Dayspring, a one-eyed, white-haired 'roid-head, more concerned with his investments than the welfare of his clients.

They've come to Florida, in the hope of recruiting a new member, to replace fallen comrade Feral, who passed away during a recent mission to stop big game hunters in Africa.

Understandably, Peter is disgusted by the immature group, who seem dedicated to using their "great power" with as little responsibility as they can, even as he recognizes how much fun it could be to use his powers in such an uninhibited way.

X-Force holds a degrading'open audition', publicly rejecting would-be team members, like a blonde girl who can "slip between moments", and a lycanthropic bookworm.

The parade of embarassment is disrupted by a z-grade gang of criminals with carnival-themed outfits, looking to hold the entire resort for ransom!

Ultimate Spider-Man: "Extreme", part 2, "Human Targets"

Peter makes a quick change into Spider-Man, to help X-Force fight off this "circus of crime".

Once the bad guys are (easily) defeated, Coach Dayspring brazenly reveals that he organized the whole attack as a publicity stunt, just to see if any interesting post-humans would respond to the situation. He invites Spidey to join X-Force, but Spider-Man expectedly refuses, vocally dismissing the group as dilettantes, with a tone of characteristic righteousness. The crowd of party-goers turns against him, as he swings off in a huff.

In private, Coach Dayspring tells a mystery person on his cellphone that his services are needed.

Later that night, as Rictor rants about the evils of trade liberalization for a group of mostly drunken, bored revellers by the poolside, he's shot in the head by an unseen sniper. A panic sets in; local authorities place the resort under lock-down.

However, the party-goers refuse to let a killer on the loose get in the way of their merry-making, and the good times carry on, even while movement is limited.

Wanting to see no further deaths -- even amongst these X-Force losers -- Peter suits up to find the real murderer, as Spider-Man.

But he is quickly distracted, when X-Force corners him, accusing him of killing Rictor. Their dispute is resolved by the arrival of the real culprit -- Deadpool, a hired mutant assassin, with smart mouth and a dangerously casual attitude towards collateral damage!

Ultimate Spider-Man: "Extreme", part 3, "Madman"

It's a lethal game of cat and mouse, as Spider-Man and X-Force team up to chase Deadpool throughout a sprawling beach resort.

The mercenary succeeds at decapitating Boomer and seriously injuring Cannonball, but Spidey manages to outsmart him by trapping him in a laundry chute.

By this point, the surviving members of X-Force have managed to get away, with the help of a young teleporter calling herself Locus.

With Deadpool subdued, Nick Fury arrives to bring the villain into custody. He's frustrated that Coach Dayspring -- a rogue S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, hiding in plain sight -- has eluded capture once more. Even worse, they are no closer to recovering the experimental D.O.O.P. unit he stole.

Spidey notices that Fury seems less concerned about the other kids, and the bad example they're setting. Fury tells him frankly that there are "more dangerous" mutants out there to worry about; If a "bunch of damn fool teenage jack-a$ses" want to use their powers for fun and prfit, "that Xavier's PR problem, not mine".

With the mood soured by all the destruction, Peter attempts to enjoy what little of his spring break remains.

Last edited:
well... *somebody* is awfully excited!

TheManWithoutFear said:
WHo said Ultimate Deadpool? :shifty: :D

Whoa! Settle down, man... You responded even before I could get to the part introducing Deadpool.

If you'll look again -- hopefully you will -- you'll notice that I wrote a follow-up post above, explaining Wade's role in my story.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
Deadpool doesn't need to be a Florist. Even though I don't like everything tying into WeaponX, I'd still like to see Deadpool as an Ex-WeaponX Merc.

I deliberately left his origins ambiguous. As far as I'm concerned, Wade's here to fulfil an intentionally one-dimensional 'lethal hired gun' role. It still leaves room to flesh him out later.

For what it's worth, if he *must* be yet another 'supersolider-experiment-gone-wrong', he should at least be the product of a different, rival initiative. Maybe something Canadian... a precursor to Ultimate Alpha Flight. I don't know. Just not the familiar, S.H.I.E.L.D.-affiliated Weapon X program. Enough already!

This is an absolutly fantastic idea. I love how you've worked in the cameo appearances of so many characters. Good stuff.

I think you should precede this arc with a single issue story featuring Ultimate Jonah. I'm not sure, but to my knowledge he hasn't been given solo stories in USM like Aunt May has, and it could be an Ultimate take on a familiar story trope of "Spider-Man and the Marvel Universe through the eyes of...".

That way it can fit into a trade as the "prologue". The trade would be called "Showtime!" :D

I'm interested as to why you choose X-force for this story when the way you've written it is clearly borrowing from X-statix?

Caduceus said:
I'm interested as to why you choose X-force for this story when the way you've written it is clearly borrowing from X-statix?

The short answer is, X-Statix started out as the new X-Force, obviously, so any Ultimate version of X-Force ought to acknowledge BOTH incarnations of the group, no matter how different they are.

But I guess you're asking why I picked characters from the old line-up, yes?

Well, it's because I have an unwavering affection for them.

Granted, that might seem odd, considering the way I summarily executed half of them in one arc! Truth is, I realized that they're completely superfluous in the Ultimate Universe. There's just no place for them, in the long run. But I still wanted a chance to reinvent them, so I created their Ultimate counter-parts *specifically* as a cautionary tale about Power and Responsibility, to give the increasingly curmudgeon-like Spidey a little something extra to 'tsk-tsk' about.

Besides, there wouldn't be much point at creating Ultimate versions of the X-Statix characters so soon after they were killed off in 616. And it would be doubly foolish to keep them so close to their original selves.

I hope that answers your question... :?

compound said:
The short answer is, X-Statix started out as the new X-Force, obviously, so any Ultimate version of X-Force ought to acknowledge BOTH incarnations of the group, no matter how different they are.

But I guess you're asking why I picked characters from the old line-up, yes?

Well, it's because I have an unwavering affection for them.
Now I understand.

compound said:
Besides, there wouldn't be much point at creating Ultimate versions of the X-Statix characters so soon after they were killed off in 616. And it would be doubly foolish to keep them so close to their original selves.
I actually think the characters in X-statix would get reinvented wonderfully because, while I was a fan of most of the series (The end really did suck), they characters with the exception of Mr Sensitive, were really rather one dimensional. There were flashes but it didn't stay. Some of them had so much potential and I think Ultimizing them in a completely different setting (not necessarily together) could open a lot of damn good ideas.

The Captain said:
enjoyable read, but less death in this one...i cant see anyone being decapitated in ult spidey...
The deaths are necessary but they'd probably be a touch less graphic.

The Captain said:
enjoyable read, but less death in this one...i cant see anyone being decapitated in ult spidey...
Doesn't have to be blatantly visible. Never underestimate the power of artistic suggestion.

Latest posts

Back