Ultimate X-Men #71 (Spoilers.....Duh)

MaxwellSmart said:
I really didn't like this arc other than confirming the existance of the Phoenix even more it didn't accomplish anything.

The Magician was introduced terribly. Look at Angel. He was introduced in an arc where a lot of other things happened, yet his character was introduced with care and depth. In the course of less than two days one kid, discovers he has mutant powers, kills his parents, masters his powers, fights along side the X-Men, becomes a media sensation and begins his life at the school. Does that seem like too much too soon with too little explaination to everyone else? At this point he's being treated like any other X-Man. That just doesn't seem right. Poor writing!

The Brotherhood seemed ridiculously well matched for the X-Men. Since when was Ultimate Blob such a powerful character? I always thought he was just another throw away character.

I'm pretty sure that in not so many words this was already said in this thread but isn't the reason for The Magician's whole backstory happening so quickly really the entire point to his character? He's up to something and that's why he...
discovers he has mutant powers, kills his parents, masters his powers, fights along side the X-Men, becomes a media sensation and begins his life at the school. Does that seem like too much too soon with too little explaination to everyone else?
And I think the same thing goes for why The Blob was such a handful. But then again, it was actually really nice to see The Blob make use of his powers in such a way that he wasn't exactly the biggest joke. I thought the Blob was well played there. The Magician character's annoying and I feel like he's heading in a very predictable direction but I'm pretty sure it's obvious that everything you're complaining about is exactly what Kirkman wants the character to be doing so I think the "bad writing" remark should be reconsidered.

I mostly say bad writing because I don't think Kirkman is actually going to fill in the gaps he made for himself. Depending on how he approaches the Magician arc it could be all recovered, but I he's going to jump into the next issue without addressing the issues of fundamental character development.

The Phoenix stuff sounds intresting, although I don't really like that now Xavier is in love with Jean. It's been hinted at since Blockbuster, but. . .it just seems lame. The Shi'ar and Hellfire Club are intresting enough. I didn't like the fact that the Shi'ar suggested that the "Phoenix" was an alternate personality, but that was redeemed during the Hellfire Club phone call.

As far as Magician. . .well, I'm holding out hope that Magician turns out to be Proteus. Their powers are similiar enough (Both could pretty much do whatever they wanted), and with Betsy surving, it's only logical that Proteus survived too. It would completely redeem the character in my eyes. If he turns out to just be some kid who goes off the deep end. . .then I'll agree he was a waste of time and page space.

Lynx said:
The Phoenix stuff sounds intresting, although I don't really like that now Xavier is in love with Jean. It's been hinted at since Blockbuster, but. . .it just seems lame.
But what if it was just to calm Jean down?

Ice said:

A random "I love you" just snaps her out of it. There a reason Jean came back calmly and said "Charles?" If there was nothing behind it Jean either wouldn't have come back at all or would have and said something like "What the ****!? You Pervert!!"

It wasn't so much to calm Jean down but to bring her back by grasping at one of her more powerful emotions.

As for the Proteus theory... cop out. I like the fact that there's a kid out there whose willing to do whatever it takes to become a world famous X-Man. You don't think there would be people out there like that?

Ice said:

Oh, its possible. But. . .does Jean love Xavier then? Actually, now that I think about it, when Kurt left Jean after her "episode" in Blockbuster with Xavier, he was cradling her and had an odd expression on his face. And then she was calling him "Charles" in Tempest. And, again, in Cry Wolf, she was getting close to him on the Astral Plane. . .

Maybe Jean is in love with Xavier, yet Xavier just uses it as a saftey mechanism. Could also tie into the "Dark Xavier" plotline supposedly being brought up in Cable.

Anyways, that might work, but I think it would be even better if it wasn't Jean that loved Xavier. . .but the Phoenix that loved him.

Lynx said:
The Phoenix stuff sounds intresting, although I don't really like that now Xavier is in love with Jean. It's been hinted at since Blockbuster, but. . .it just seems lame.

Actually....that's the only part about this that I'm interested in. Its been hinted before that Xavier is a bit more dastardly than led to believe. He has a track record of getting involved with his students. Say Xavier was to woo Jean away from Scott----how would that affect the dynamic of the team? How would Scott react? There are so many ways that something like this could affect the team and the story (for the better).

Lynx said:
As far as Magician. . .well, I'm holding out hope that Magician turns out to be Proteus.

I don't know how to feel about that. Not really a bad thing....but not really a good thing either. I mean--the return of the son who would do anything to get attention from his father? Classic tale....

Victor Von Doom said:
I don't know how to feel about that. Not really a bad thing....but not really a good thing either. I mean--the return of the son who would do anything to get attention from his father? Classic tale....

Yeah, it was actually used in Quicksilver and Magento's relationship, suprisingly. But, I think it'd be a good way to give Proteus a new dynamic. He said, even if it was jokingly, that he wanted to be on "Dad's little team". What if he's done with Xavier. . .what if he just wants the attention now? Still. . .you have to agree that its better then some throwaway character.

Ice said:

Absolutely it was. He knew the reaction he'd get from that.

E said:
Absolutely it was. He knew the reaction he'd get from that.
Yes I think Jean is attracted to him (Shes comes off a bit slutty in her ultimate version) and Xavier does not support but his lobeto (I spelt that wrong didn't I?) may overcome that. I think he knows she likes him and used that to lower her defences so he is able to strike back.

Random said:
Yes I think Jean is attracted to him (Shes comes off a bit slutty in her ultimate version) and Xavier does not support but his lobeto (I spelt that wrong didn't I?) may overcome that. I think he knows she likes him and used that to lower her defences so he is able to strike back.

No worry, only one of three spelling errors in your post...

;^p

Last edited:
I still have great trust in Kirkman to pull this off. I'm sure he's planned the whole thing so that everything ties up in the next arc. I'm looking at his first nine issues (that was supposed to be the extent of his run) as one 9-issue arc.

Just look at Marvel Team-Up on how Kirkman does intertwining plotlines and pulls them all together brilliantly.

Last edited:
You don't understand, some of these people want instant gratifacation when they read something. When they don't notice the hidden plotlines, they get angry and say 'This guy sucks!'

Of course, it could suck, I don't know, I'm not reading it.

Ultimate Houde said:
You don't understand, some of these people want instant gratifacation when they read something. When they don't notice the hidden plotlines, they get angry and say 'This guy sucks!'

Of course, it could suck, I don't know, I'm not reading it.

Well of course most people want instant gratification....I'm one of them. But I also can appreciate plots that span across several arcs.

Right now....I don't like Kirkman's writing/story. But I really hate the art. That is the main detractor for me. Now say Kirkman ties Date Night, Phoenix and Hellfire, Cable and whatever together? I will be one of the many to say "my bad....I *****ed and moaned but that was because my feeble brain was unable to comprehend the masterful bigger plot that you so geniusly wove."

E said:
I don't know...I don't get the hate for Kirkman on this book. It's not exactly profound but it's pretty solid and entertaining. I'm enjoying it.

I think people are just disappointed after Vaughan's excellent run on the title. I guess it isn't really fair, but I can't help but compare the two also. Kirkman's run has just seemed very flat and uninteresting, at least to me. Its not bad, its just not good either, in my opinion.

MaxwellSmart said:
I really didn't like this arc other than confirming the existance of the Phoenix even more it didn't accomplish anything.

Exactly.

Lynx said:

I don't think it was a romantic type "I love you", but more along the lines of a fatherly/paternal love. Especially since Kirkman hinted that Jean doesn't have a good relationship with her actual parents (despite her father covering for her in Ultimate War). It just wouldn't work for the characters to go in that direction. One, Jean is with Scott, though their relationship is rocky at times. Two, Kirkman just introduced Lilandra, who is pretty likely a possible romantic interest for Xavier. I really hope he isn't planning on taking that angle.

Anyways, that might work, but I think it would be even better if it wasn't Jean that loved Xavier. . .but the Phoenix that loved him.

That could actually prove very interesting.

Anyway, I wasn't impressed with this issue or arc either. I'll give it a 2/5.

vintsukka said:
I still have great trust in Kirkman to pull this off. I'm sure he's planned the whole thing so that everything ties up in the next arc. I'm looking at his first nine issues (that was supposed to be the extent of his run) as one 9-issue arc.
Robert Kirkman said:
This will all be revealed soon. Issues 66-74 are all one, mega-arc with two different artists. Answers to come, don't worry.

Ahem.

Last edited:
vintsukka said:

cookie.jpg

I actually enjoyed this issue... Not only did it hint at the return of the Hellfire Club (Which should send Syndicate in our direction, too... One of the best characters created exclusively for the UU interestingly enough. I liked Prosimian, too. Shame Millar killed him off), but there was a lot of build-up to the Magician being more than we all think. After this issue, I am eager to find out just what the Magician is intending to do at the mansion and why. The most interesting thing, I thought, was that it was pretty much implied that Jean has romantic feelings for the Professor, which will be such an amazing thing to explore. I'm looking forward to the next issue.

3.5/5

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back