Ultimate X-Men #72 discussion [spoilers]

Anyone noticed Kirkman taking a jab at the Deadpool arc? When talking with Kitty, Logan calls Spidey a '"loser" and Kitty replies, "He totally saved our butts from the Marauders (yes, Kirkman screwed up here)" and then Wolverine answers "...that fiasco was an embarassment, I'm glad I missed"

This issue is also great, we finally get some strong evidence that Magician is setting up everything, including turning that FOH commander into that Hulk-creature. Also happy with Kirkman bringing up some familiar faces, and a nice revelation that Professor X actually keeps the parents' of some X-Men in the dark about what they're really doing. It's a good explanation why we don't see a lot of whiny parents complaining about their children nearly getting themselves killed at a regular basis.

Last edited:
cmdrjanjalani said:
Anyone noticed Kirkman taking a jab at the Deadpool arc? When talking with Kitty, Logan calls Spidey a '"loser" and Kitty replies, "He totally saved our butts from the Marauders (yes, Kirkman screwed up here)" and then Wolverine answers "...that fiasco was an embarassment, I'm glad I missed"

If that truly was an indictment on Bendis's story, I have a whole new level of respect for Kirkman.

Seriously it was one of the worst things I've ever read.

E said:
If that truly was an indictment on Bendis's story, I have a whole new level of respect for Kirkman.

Seriously it was one of the worst things I've ever read.

With that Comic Con scene he made with MacFarlene, I have stronger feelings that Kirkman also had the balls to make this indirect rebuke to Bendis.

I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed this issue... It was solid.

The only thing that I picked up on that I didn't like... Jean was in a containment cell BUT she could still use her powers? Some containment cell, huh? :roll:

The X-Men versus the Friends of Humanity brought the title back to where it was right after the World Tour for me... "Fighting the cause" in the X-Men, where the X-Men actually battle for mutant rights, has been lost in a lot of respects throughout the title. So, to have villains with no super powers was a breath of fresh air (Yes, no super powers... It was obvious to me that the Magician was to blame for beefing that one guy up). I would like to see the Friends of Humanity developed a bit more.

The best part of the issue was in the beginning... Xavier is an twisted bastard. He's Don Corleone practically. When he was speaking to Mrs. Pryde I was like, "This guy is full of COMPLETE ****"... I am so glad I feel that way about Xavier. I'm tired of seeing him written as a saint. I think Kirkman writes Xavier really well. Only thing - what was that "X" thing that Xavier locked in his drawer? Weird...

Next issue should be really interesting... Hopefully, the cover will have some relevancy. :)

E.Vi.L. said:
Well, considering that Proteus doesn't have a body since very early in the World Tour arc, he's an easier villain than most to bring back from the "dead". Of course, it would beg the question of why he waited so long before resurfacing, what he was up to and how come this is the best plan he could come up!

I'd rather it be an original character though.

The only problem with this interesting theory is that Proteus and Magician has different personalities. Proteus is totally psychotic, who didn't care about killing hundreds of people all over the world just because he had daddy issues. He wanted to destroy the X-Men since shattering his father's dream is more than enough revenge.

Magician so far is being portrayed as a glory hog. He's not out to destroy the X-Men, but to put himself in front of the spotlight. Of course, his true agenda is still pretty much in question especially with his parents not being dead and all but he doesn't appear to be as hellbent as Proteus in taking apart Xavier's lifelong dream piece by piece.

I would like to point out that like his title 'The Walking Dead', he named Elliot the 'Magician' with two meanings. First is the obvious, because he can make 'magic', virtually bending reality into his whim. Second is more on our association with 'magicians' today, where Elliott shows himself to be a master of illusion and deception.

The thing about Proteus was that he was a child, 12 may 13 years old. At that age, anyone is as fickle as a girl is, right? If Magician turns out to be Proteus, I would accept the fact that he, at first wanted to kill Professor, then seek out his approval, only to kill him again... Because the more I think about it, the more I figure that's actually a legitimate ending to this 12 issue arc.

Goodwill said:
The thing about Proteus was that he was a child, 12 may 13 years old. At that age, anyone is as fickle as a girl is, right? If Magician turns out to be Proteus, I would accept the fact that he, at first wanted to kill Professor, then seek out his approval, only to kill him again... Because the more I think about it, the more I figure that's actually a legitimate ending to this 12 issue arc.
"9 issue arc." :D

Last edited:
Goodwill said:

Actually, Proteus had to be at least 17 or 18, possibly older, during the World Tour arc. During the flashbacks in Return of the King to when Charles and Erik are leaving London (and Moira and David/Proteus), Charles makes mention that Proteus was at least an adolescent, and since that took place at least five years before, that'd make Proteus most likely at least an adult during the World Tour arc.

Latest posts

Back