Ultimate X-Men #86 discussion (Spoilers!)

Nope. It was becoming the "it" book. What's setting it back is that there's too much teasing going on and not enough results of such teasing. But once we're getting the results, it'll be kick***.

Nope. It was becoming the "it" book. What's setting it back is that there's too much teasing going on and not enough results of such teasing. But once we're getting the results, it'll be kick***.

That's true!

Kirkman's trying to sell us on the upcoming plots and give everything this big movement and weight by moving every possible story along at the same time...but it's backfiring on him because you only have 22 pages a MONTH you need to sell the story you're doing NOW and not the one you tell in 6 months.

That's true!

Kirkman's trying to sell us on the upcoming plots and give everything this big movement and weight by moving every possible story along at the same time...but it's backfiring on him because you only have 22 pages a MONTH you need to sell the story you're doing NOW and not the one you tell in 6 months.

I still think he's filling in, I don't care what anyone else says. He's limited in what he can do.

I still think he's filling in, I don't care what anyone else says. He's limited in what he can do.
He was. But there's no one else coming in and God knows when we'll actually get Singer if ever.

But even then, it is true that he can/is limited, but that doesn't mean he could still have done better of what he's throwing at us. Like I said, I'm still enjoying it, but there is too many pitches coming at us and we can't swing at them all at once.

But there's no one else coming in and God knows when we'll actually get Singer if ever.

Keep in mind that even when we get Singer, we aren't getting Singer. We're getting his ghost writers.

I know that. I was just sayin'.

I know you did...it's just so bogus and wrong, I feel the need to remind everyone every time it comes up.

I just picked up this issue, and found absolutely nothing interesting going on except for a few kinda-sorta entertaining frames of wolverine doing a somersault and decapitating a sentinel as he goes. Like most comics I come across, it's a guaranteed recipe for a coma sandwich.

I'm still pretty new to the world of comics, but this title seems to have been hopelessly boring from the beginning, no? Just mediocre melodrama, written badly and wedged between fight scenes (though i did like the early subplot of the professor erasing magneto's brain and turning him into a regular dude who hangs out in the park alot). I mean, even when it was at its best, what kind of satisfaction could you get from UXM that you couldn't get better somewhere else? In that sense, this issue is perfect - nothing special from a nothing special title.

If somebody disagrees, I would really love to hear a well-worded explanation why.

I can't disagree except that the Brian Vaughan period was excellent. He had well written characters and fun plots.

However, he did kinda neuter the Mark Millar over the top action and mutant world police feel, but I think that had kinda worn out by that point anyway. And his Cyclops was uninteresting.

However, he did kinda neuter the Mark Millar over the top action and mutant world police feel, but I think that had kinda worn out by that point anyway. And his Cyclops was uninteresting.

I didn't like that, it really didn't fit with the UU in my opinion

I didn't like that, it really didn't fit with the UU in my opinion

Totally agreed. I really like Mark Millar and he's one of my favorite writers - but most of his UXM stuff was almost unreadable.

I liked everything Millar had done. It was the best. But I did also like the change afterwards, too.

On the point of this issue and Kirkman, as I said, Kirkman is planting some great ideas and plotlines into the series, but it's time to stop planting and start growing the ones that are out there already. It also doesn't help that when growing them, only a page or so is shown in exposition. And it also doesn't help to just throw random things out there. It should all have its place.

Nontheless, I'm still enjoying Kirkman's run.

Totally agreed. I really like Mark Millar and he's one of my favorite writers - but most of his UXM stuff was almost unreadable.
It's actually why I did not fall in love with UXM compared to the first issues of USM. Although I did enjoy the first arc and wished that the first movie ended the same way.

I also thought that the Weapon X arc was way too early. Didn't care about the Hellfire Club arc much and the World Tour was okay. I just want to forget the garbage about computers evolving into sentient zombie-making creatures by themselves. Return of the King was pretty good though. He does need to focus more on the individuals. I mean as far as I know Rogue just suddenly joined the X-Men without much explanation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back