Ultimate X-men #88 (spoilers)

ShaggyMarco

Woo! Apocalypse!

I like the head-screw that is going on here with Cable training Xavier in the future and Bishop training the X-men in the past.

We finally get some details and answers (lies?) as to what makes that future so terrible. I especially loved the bit about stopping "a good man" from being executed for a genocide that had to be done. Cool tie-ins with the Cable, Legacy Virus, and Apocalypse story-lines.

I am excited for more.

PS. Sorry for no time for a more complete summary.

Edit: Curse my keyboard! The title should be changed to #88. How embarassing!

Last edited:
I too felt that some things were (FINALLY) tying up/together, and leading somewhere interesting. My fear is that this is just leading to the title's demise with Loeb's Ultimatum.

For whatever reason, Kirkman's multi-tasking works so much better in Invincible. When you have 4 or 5 potentially interesting storylines, and you spend a few pages on a baseball game, I start to cry 'stalling'... or what is the fashionable word now? Oh yeah, 'decompression'.

Anywho - still some relief for those who have stayed the course.

The payoff on the last page, however, is really only meaningful and powerful bacause (mainly) of what we bring to the scene with our 616 knowledge. If the only reference you bring is from earlier UXM, you wouldn't enjoy the ending nearly as much. Only Millar/Hitch's Ultimates succeeded (IMO) in making their book stand on its own, diverging from established continuity in more than superficial or whimsical ways (or, for that matter, not JUST for the sake of divergence). That being said, I DO bring 'prior knowledge', and so I'm interested!

I too felt that some things were (FINALLY) tying up/together, and leading somewhere interesting. My fear is that this is just leading to the title's demise with Loeb's Ultimatum.

At this point, I think thats pretty much a given.

The payoff on the last page, however, is really only meaningful and powerful bacause (mainly) of what we bring to the scene with our 616 knowledge. If the only reference you bring is from earlier UXM, you wouldn't enjoy the ending nearly as much. Only Millar/Hitch's Ultimates succeeded (IMO) in making their book stand on its own, diverging from established continuity in more than superficial or whimsical ways (or, for that matter, not JUST for the sake of divergence). That being said, I DO bring 'prior knowledge', and so I'm interested!

Very true, and good point. Still, even with NO prior knowledge, but having read all UXM trades/issues up to that point, something thats been foreshadowed for almost 50 issues is still pretty impactive.

you know what the ultimatum will ultimately be?

which series get's cancelled UFF or UXM

at this point i wouldn't mind terribley if it was either

you know what the ultimatum will ultimately be?

which series get's cancelled UFF or UXM

at this point i wouldn't mind terribley if it was either

I'm pretty sure Ultimatum is going to be Reed using the Cosmic Cube as a reset button for the universe. Maybe with Thanos and Apocalypse fighting over it or something.

I absolutely loved this issue. Just popping in to tell you guys. Seriously, it was brilliant. I still dont like beast being alive, but the rest of the issue is picking up so many loose ends! Yay! No Jean with green goblins, no Storm and her demonic writing. Just the things I wanted to read.

Also, the 'good man' being excecuted for genocide was Fury, or at least that was heavily hinted at.

If UFF or UXM has to bite the dust, I'd say take UFF!

Oh god, I hope they don't scrap this title. It has potential if the writer actually knew what he was doing besides adding in random things. Sure the storyline hasn't been that good recently (I have not read issue 88 yet) but it has pontential. Like with the whole Apocalyspe thing and Phoenix thing. I just really hope they don't shut this title down...

Did anyone notice the mention of Admiral Stryker? :shock:

I bet we'll see him in the upcoming Apocalypse storyline.

As for the rest of the issue, Kirkman did better in terms of too much jumping (as there wasn't that much), but still enough to wish he didn't keep jumping rope anymore.

I am looking forward to the Apocalypse story and can't wait. I wonder if the future becomes the world of "Age of Apocalypse". That would be awesome, actually.

Did anyone notice the mention of Admiral Stryker? :shock:

I bet we'll see him in the upcoming Apocalypse storyline.

As for the rest of the issue, Kirkman did better in terms of too much jumping (as there wasn't that much), but still enough to wish he didn't keep jumping rope anymore.

I am looking forward to the Apocalypse story and can't wait. I wonder if the future becomes the world of "Age of Apocalypse". That would be awesome, actually.

Yes, they also said his name a few issues ago when Fury was talking to Beast. I forget what issue that was. But if you look at the First Appearence list you asked me to e-mail you, you'll see what issue. :wink:

Yes, they also said his name a few issues ago when Fury was talking to Beast. I forget what issue that was. But if you look at the First Appearence list you asked me to e-mail you, you'll see what issue. :wink:
I don't remember that.

I do have the list. I have it printed out.

I just read this.

It's not bad.

In fact, I loved the two schools battling in baseball.

You would think I wouldn't like the Emma Frost reveal at the end, but I'm actually fine with it. There's a legit reason for Xavier to have had spies in the Academy and now I finally see a reason to keep bringing up the Academy in stories.

Glad Shinobi's just in jail and not dead. I always thought they needlessly killed Sebastien and when I saw Jean Phoenix'd out I thought Kirkman and spent a year or more building a story that ended in a page of flames.

It's not bad. One more issue till Apoc finally comes in.

Sometimes he has a great issue, but than like this the issues sucks. Some scenes were good like the end with Cable and Apocalypse.

The Emma reveal was extremly stupid, more so for the fact that she had that stupid costume.

Last edited:

The Emma reveal was extremly stupid, more so for the fact that she had that stupid costume.
I have to agree with this. I was loving not having Emma tied with the HFC here. And yeah, I was also liking not having to see her with the costume here either. I was really liking the school take on her without having all this other side-things added.

I am though gonna give it a chance.

I have to agree with this. I was loving not having Emma tied with the HFC here. And yeah, I was also liking not having to see her with the costume here either. I was really liking the school take on her without having all this other side-things added.

I am though gonna give it a chance.

I'm not sure I really understand it, though. Emma Frost was more of a pacifist than Xavier and, now, wham? She's in the HFC?

I'm not sure I really understand it, though. Emma Frost was more of a pacifist than Xavier and, now, wham? She's in the HFC?
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was liking the swap they had with her and Xavier. It was going great. Then boom! Here's this. It's weird. Of course they'll be some explanation that "she had enough", "times change", or the most likely one, "The death of Xavier has changed my views so now here's this."

So, I finally read this. I haven't read this book since Cable, so I wanted to see how things have changed and what not.

Honestly? It's a good book. It's entertaining. There's one problem, though.

It's not Ultimate anymore. It's just X-men. Emma in the HFC, Bishop and Cable fighting Apocalypse, hell, Apocalypse in his big, armored suit looked like it came straight out of the 90s. What happened to the awesome costume he wore at the end of Tempest? I'm going to chalk it up to "It's his future costume", but it feels too much like 616.

In fact, I think this is what's wrong with the Ultimate Universe as a whole now. This, UFF, and now Ultimates aren't bad, per se, they're just too close to their 616 stories. The only title that still feels Ultimate is Spider-Man. I dunno, maybe I'll continue reading, but something needs to either move these titles back towards their Ultimate monkier or they need to wrap up the universe.

My only problem with this issue was Emma and the Hellfire club. I agree with Lynx about being too 616.

However I'm gonna wait for Apocalypse, I have faith in Kirkman and this book never failed in entertain me.

I liked Ultimate Emma, but outside of Magnetic North and New Mutants her and the Academy were just boring to me.

I think Shinobi Shaw would have been enough to make those people interesting, I don't think having Emma as the White Queen was called for.

Still, I'm not upset about it. She's Emma. I like my Emma Frosts to be manipulative and always hiding something.

Latest posts

Back