Ultimate X-Men: Absolute Power (#94-97)

Re: Ultimate X-Men #94 discussion (spoilers)

This sounds REAL bad.

Yeah it does. REAL bad. This sounds like it will make it easy for me to stick to my guns and drop this book.

I mean...how about slowing things down a bit? Do they have to burn through new ultimizations every 4-6 issues? How about some character development? How about an issue or 2 of Firestar joining and some set up for the next arc and maybe some forshadowing of an upcoming arc down the road like this book used to have? It just jumps from one continuity challenged disaster to the next.

As it stands right now I just don't care about any of these characters.

This sounds REAL bad.

I have to agree.

I haven't read probably the last 2-3 arcs and am in no rush to do so...and this only makes me want to read it even less.

Seriously, Marvel is banking on these big name guys to draw people in to read, but they must be hoping that their readers are retarded or only like to look at the cool pictures. How could this SERIOUSLY have been executed well? I think I'm dropping comics for good... Nothing is good in them anymore. I wish I had jumped onto the 616 bandwagon when New Avengers started up.

I liked this issue. The weird shoe-horning in of people that shouldn't be there almost made my head explode, but at least they referenced it and moved on (as awkwardly as it was) instead of just ignoring it. And the X-Men on drugs seems like a cool "Ultimate" type story. I wonder what Jubilee's doing in Alpha Flight, but whatever.

Apparently Sasquatch is someone Rogue knows with a secondary mutation, any idea who? Juggernaut maybe?

I wonder why they called the drug Banshee instead of Kick.

Anyway, it was miles better than what we've gotten the last half a year or so.

I'd like it better if it was Cyke and Colossus vs Alpha Flight. And if Wolverine had nothing to do with it. And if they didn't turn a group of underaged teens into druggies in one issue with no foreshadowing and with the feeling that we're supposed to be thinking, 'Now they'll kick some ***' instead of seeing a bunch of kids mutilate themselves and get hooked to something that may kill them.

Of course, thank God Xavier and Jean are there to kick their addiction habits with a thought (there is presidence for such a move, Jean did it to Logan's smoking when Joey Q said no one smokes in comics anymore).

:
You do know Wolverine quit smoking before JoeQ became EiC right?

:
You do know Wolverine quit smoking before JoeQ became EiC right?
Wolverine quit smoking in UXM when Kirkman made it so in DATE NIGHT. Wolverine never quit smoking before Joe was EiC (Quit for over 8 years now? Doubt it). Because they barely showed it don't mean he quit.

Wolverine quit smoking in UXM when Kirkman made it so in DATE NIGHT. Wolverine never quit smoking before Joe was EiC (Quit for over 8 years now? Doubt it). Because they barely showed it don't mean he quit.

Yeah, except when he and Cyclops had a conversation about him quitting in Return to Weapon X. I don't think Jean's powers had anything to do with it, though.

Yeah, except when he and Cyclops had a conversation about him quitting in Return to Weapon X. I don't think Jean's powers had anything to do with it, though.
That's still after Joey Q. became EiC. I don't remember that conversation, but it's retconned now that Jean didn't have anything to do with it.

I thought you ment 616 Wolverine.

My bad.

Last edited:

I seem to remember...somewhere...not sure where. That a "kid who turns into a Sasquatch " was killed at some point in the Ultimate universe. So is it safe to assume this is just a different mutant on MGH? Juggernaut seems likely.

Last edited:

I seem to remember...somewhere...not sure where. That a "kid who turns into a Sasquatch " was killed at some point in the Ultimate universe. So is it safe to assume this is just a different mutant on MGH? Juggernaut seems likely.

I don't remember the reference, but it was most likely from Vaughan's Mr. Sinister arc.

Whoever it was knows Rogue, and she was probably closer to Juggernaut than anyone. Unless it's Gambit somehow.

But wasn't Juggernaut kind of pushed to the limits of his power after absorbing the Joo-Joo from the gem of Kytorakk?

I don't remember the reference, but it was most likely from Vaughan's Mr. Sinister arc.

It was from Shock and Awe, when Wolverine gets into the fight in the bar it's because te guys killed a mutant kid and they say something along the lines of "he wasn't a kid, he was some kind of sasquatch" which doesn't necassarily mean he was the Ultimate Sasquatch...

The younger version fo Grizzly appeared as a student at the school in part of Kirkman's run. Maybe he done a runner to Canada at some point between then and now, but not before making friends with rogue? Did it say it was someone she knows who we've seen her interacting with?

It was from Shock and Awe, when Wolverine gets into the fight in the bar it's because te guys killed a mutant kid and they say something along the lines of "he wasn't a kid, he was some kind of sasquatch" which doesn't necassarily mean he was the Ultimate Sasquatch...

The younger version fo Grizzly appeared as a student at the school in part of Kirkman's run. Maybe he done a runner to Canada at some point between then and now, but not before making friends with rogue? Did it say it was someone she knows who we've seen her interacting with?

No, he just said something like "Nice to see you again" (completely paraphrasing, I don't know the exact line), and she was like "Who are you?"

He says something about not letting her touch him after last time. Having just read it, I think it may well be Sabertooth. It looks kinda like a freak-out version of him, and it seems that most of the other secondary/tertiary powers seem to be linked to the initial power, like an extension of them. On another note, is Mutant Growth Hormone what Beast was exposed to in Return to Weapon X? Like a pure form of it with out all those other chemicals Banshee has in the mix?

They turned Angel into a giant chicken!!! this book is back on my pull list!:D

Also, the spikes on dazzlers back remind me of 616 marrow. And i really liked the nod Coleite gave to Bendis by letting Firestar say 'OY'.

I read the issue.

That's all I have to say right now. Or maybe all I can say.

okay, so i glanced over it at the comic shop today....

Y'know, it still amuses me to this day that there are still people who rave that UMX is oh so much better than 616 X-Men.

So let's see here, this is what they turn into if they use MGH:

Angel = Beak
Dazzler = Marrow
Nightcrawler = Blink
Rogue = Mimic

...WEAK AND LAZY WRITING!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back