Ultimate X-Men - Mark Millar Nostalgia

Ultimate Magneto has this way of which he casually and frankly beats the crap out of/kills his enemies which is pure win, usually while sarcastically explaining the stupidity of thier actions in a calm, collected manner. In many ways he is sort of smooth and polite and you don't realize just how psychotic and evil he is until your pacemaker bursts out of your chest or a lamp impales you. Ultimate Magneto is awesome.

Last edited:
Ultimate Magneto has this way of which he casually and frankly beats the crap out of/kills his enemies which is pure win, usually while sarcastically explaining the stupidity of thier actions in a calm, collected manner. In many ways he is sort of smooth and polite and you don't realize just how psychotic and evil he is until your pacemaker bursts out of your chest or a lamp impales you. Ultimate Magneto is awesome.

He's still two dimensional man, the fact there almost no gray villains in the UU, which makes the variety of villains pretty sparse, it seems like almost every villain in the UU is a thug or psychopath, no villain is really morally complex. I personally prefer a Magneto that is an Anti-Villain and well intentioned extreemist compared to Ultimate Magneto who seems to eat puppies for no reason. But that's just me.

Bah Ultimate magneto is nothing more an two dimeansional psychopath, with no real backstory, who acts like a dick for real reason. Sure he is more ruthless, but he is less complex and more genric personality size. He's like meaner version of silver Age Magneto, sure powerful villain, but totally without depth.

616 magento being a well intentioned extremist and a gray character, makes him more interesting then Ultimate Magento who is just a generic baddie who eats puppies for breakfast for no real reason. In real life there are people who are in the grey area, who are hard to classify as just being good or evil, 616 Magneto is the moral grayline, Ultimate magneto is a boring Hitler wannabe.
And that's all because 616 Magneto has had a hell of a lot more time to be fleshed out. Ultimate Magneto hasn't.

And that's all because 616 Magneto has had a hell of a lot more time to be fleshed out. Ultimate Magneto hasn't.

True enough, but the UU had the benefit of hindsight, which the 616 universe didn't have, they had to create their universe through 30 years of trial and error. The problem is they hardly ever use the benefit of hindsight, they should try to hit the ground running, which they sometimes failed to do in terms of characterization and what they ultimately failed to do in terms of avoiding mistakes (like introducing time travel to the X-Men). The fact is with a new continuity you can take an existing bland character and give him a new motive or gimmick, which is what BTAS did with Mr. freeze.. I know I wouldn't have minded that Ultimate magneto was just evil, if they made another villain into either an: Anti Villain or a Well intentioned extremist or a tragic or noble figure to fill the void, but because they didn't do that, Ultimate magneto is an just the ultimate example that ultimate villains have no real moral complexity.

I kinda agree with the Overlord. I feel the same way, just not to the same degree. I much prefer Ultimate Magneto to 616, but I agree Millar's run is not perfect and at times, too over the top.

I kinda agree with the Overlord. I feel the same way, just not to the same degree. I much prefer Ultimate Magneto to 616, but I agree Millar's run is not perfect and at times, too over the top.

This is how I feel. Ult mags should be a huge force to be wrecken with, and the idea of him being absolutely ruthless is good. But we still need character and we're not getting any from him.

I got in trouble at school once for reading the Tomorrow People. Specifically, that one page where the White House is burning and Magneto is about to execute the President naked on live television.

So yeah.

I got in trouble at school once for reading the Tomorrow People. Specifically, that one page where the White House is burning and Magneto is about to execute the President naked on live television.

So yeah.

Everyone is *****es.

Well its not like I don't like Millar's run, I think its very good but to say its perfect is incorrect.

I can see what they were going for Ultimate Magneto again, they made him more threatening, but at the cost of his personality. Both 616 and Ultimate Xavier are akin to Martin Luther King, while 616 Magneto is similar to Malcolm X, while Ultimate Magneto is similar to Osama bin Laden. Now bin Laden is scarier then Malcolm X, certainly, but Malcolm X is a far interesting person. Now a debate between Malcolm X and Martin Luther King would be interesting, well a debate between Dr. King and bin Laden, because Dr. King would deliever a stirring speech, while bin Laden would rant like crazy man and then shoot Dr. King. But I can see why Millar wanted to make Magneto more threatening, but he still could use a little more personality.

You know I be more supportive of Ultimate Magneto if there was another well intentioned extremist/anti villain in the UU to fill the vacuum, but since there isn't its more glaring.

I found most of those to come in the first four issues, and then the series balances out quite magnificently...

Like, I reeeeally don't like the Sentinels hunting Bobby in Times Square. That is beyond believable...

But by issue 6. its pretty great, and Return to Weapon X through Return of the King are wonderful.

I found most of those to come in the first four issues, and then the series balances out quite magnificently...

Like, I reeeeally don't like the Sentinels hunting Bobby in Times Square. That is beyond believable...

But by issue 6. its pretty great, and Return to Weapon X through Return of the King are wonderful.

That's kinda true, the later arcs are better in being less over the top, vs. the first arc. I think the arcs that don't feature Magneto or the sentinels are more grounded. They are all good, but perfect is a stretch.

I still think Ultimate Magneto is boring frankly, hes kinda of mustache twirling villain. I think him trying to kill the President naked on national TV and having the Sentinels kill everyone in America. I mean why is he such a dick? I never seen anyone answer that question.

Latest posts

Back