Ultimates, Ultimate War & Ultimate continuity

E

Excelsior Club
Someone recently asked on the Bendis board where Ultimate War fits into Ultimate continuity, and Mark Millar himself chimed in...

Mark Millar said:
Actually, volume one was originally twelve issues and planned, believe it or not, to run from Jan-Dec. This introduced everybody and set them up for their first adventure. This takes place before any of their appearances anywhere. Dec is when Ultimate War started. Ultimate War takes place between Ultimates Vol 1 and 2 and Ultimate X-Men 4 and 5 and was written vaguely enough that the characterization (Cap going out with Jan, etc) wouldn 't confuse anyone.

All the current Ultimates appearances take place between volumes one and two. Anything you see will look different because we're changing looks, situations, etc, for book two and this is planned for a Dec launch. I'm in NYC next week and this will hopefully be confirmed there.

Yeah, I recently reread all the Ultimates issues, Ultimate War and Ultimate 6 and was trying to sort continuity out. I was pretty sure Ultimate War happened later as Hank was out of the picture and the vague relationship between Cap and Wasp (Miller confirmed my guess that they kept things vague to avoid confusion). I actually kinda like how they left the relationship details out as all too often characters are far too gushy in utterly inappropriate contexts. Besides Cap's a complete professional as well as being from the 40's so propriety in public and keeping work and private life separate would be core values. Works for the character.

Do you have a link to the interview?

It wasn't an interview; someone asked where Ultiamte War fit in with Ultimates and Millar happened to chime in; it's all he said on the topic.

Well they were still married. I'm sure there's conflicting feelings there.

do you think that Hulk in Colorado thing will be explained?

Refresh my memory as to what that was about and where it was from...

In Ultimate Six Norman Osborne was asking if the collars he was wearing were the same that the Hulk was wearing in that base in Colorado. I'm not exactly up on the Ultimates stuff, so I'm not sure where that fits in. I only have the last three issues of Vol. 1.

Yeah!! I just kinda ignored that but I thought it was something that happened in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up. But then agian its something that could have happened during Ultimate War when the Hulk escaped the Triskilon

I'm guessing that the Hulk in Colorado reference has to do with pre-Ultimates Hulk business, as Banner didn't actually escape the Triskelion. He just ate a few nurses before the security systems took him down.

In Ultimate Six Norman Osborne was asking if the collars he was wearing were the same that the Hulk was wearing in that base in Colorado.

Wasn't that answered in Ultimate Marvel Team Up? He came from out west...

UltimateE said:
Someone recently asked on the Bendis board where Ultimate War fits into Ultimate continuity, and Mark Millar himself chimed in...

i just reread ultimate war. i can't believe i've forgotten that pietro and wanda joined the ultimates in ultimate war 1. i thought ultimate war happened between vol 1 and 2?

ultimate_lec said:
i just reread ultimate war. i can't believe i've forgotten that pietro and wanda joined the ultimates in ultimate war 1. i thought ultimate war happened between vol 1 and 2?
It does, but in Ultimate War they also say that Quicksilver ans Scarpet Witch had been assisting them before this. I think an alien invasion would be something they'd call everyone they could in.

Baxter said:
It does, but in Ultimate War they also say that Quicksilver ans Scarpet Witch had been assisting them before this. I think an alien invasion would be something they'd call everyone they could in.

yes but but how come black widow never criticized the twins (are they twins?) until ultimate war?

Well, do you know why? Because of the Ultimates delays the stories all had to be altered. If not for the delays, I think we would've seen a very different Ultimate War.

ultimate_lec said:
yes but but how come black widow never criticized the twins (are they twins?) until ultimate war?

Also, Millar has a pretty consistent habit of reinventing characters while he's writing them, or at least re-envisioning them after their first appearance. Ultimate Fury's attitude and dialog is different enough from Ultimate X-Men to Ultimates to be evidence of this.

When Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver first appeared in X-Men Arc 1, "The Tomorrow People" they were pretty much mutant terrorists in brightly colored spandex with absolutely no hints of incestuous overtones or activist spirit. Which is completely different from the way they appear in Ultimates "Homeland Security" a year later, where they talk of cooperating in exchange for the release of political prisoners.

What Millar has been polite about doing though in his reconceptions on characters is that his more detailed takes are not necessarily inconsistent with the earlier appearances. Fury, Wanda and Pietro simply became more defined.

While I see your point, this only proves mine about Millar only doing things to do things, which shouldn't be done, especially in something like the Ultimates, where characters have been picked out of other titles and put into this one. Millar alters characters to fit his ideas and some times that comes off as odd...

Are you saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, OC?

Latest posts

Back