Ultimates & Ultimate X-Men Handbook revelations.... SPOILERS

Fuzzy Birds

Flicked through his earlier, and I'll give it a full read later this evening, suffice to say that a few interesting tidbits were revealed:

Black Widow is nigh invulnerable: she officially has implant of an unknown origin, and almost all of her statistics, excluding intelligence (4) and speed (5), are at level 6 (of 7). That is to say, she's somehow as fast as Quicksilver (level 5 speed, supersonic), stronger and more durable than Captain America (level 4 strength, 3 durability), and, insanely, has better energy projection skills than Wanda(5)!! Ridiculous.

Widow is also never explicitly stated as being the traitor, only that there is one, and that she turned on Tony.

Pym is apparently making an army of Ultrons to fight alongside the 'anti Ultimates', and his Antman tech is somehow being utilised (maybe as communication between the soldiers). It's also confirmed that Pym was the one who reduced Bruce's dosage at his 'execution'. Coupled with the last tidbit about the Widow, could there be more to the traitor than what we've seen?

Fury and SHIELDS background is admitted as being contradictory, in regards to how long it's been around.

Gah Lak Tus is apprently 100, 000 miles long, and is robotic in origin. 'It bombards targeted worlds with psychic 'fear' broadcasts and a flesh eating virus, eradicating all life. It then breaks open the dying world to its core and sucks dry all energy...'. There you go, that's Ultimate Extinction for you.

Hawkeye indeed has NO cybernetic enhancements, or anything similar. He's just really good. The murder of his family was a direct response on the traitors behalf to the stripping of a 'rogue' states nuclear facilities.

Banner was rumoured to have experimented on civilians early in his career. Likewise on himself, suggesting the Hulk was the culmination of a number or experiments.

Tony's vital statistics stand as: Intelligence, Strength, Durability and Energy Projection 6, Speed 5, and Fighting Skills 2. It's not clear whether this is inside the suit, but it's more than likely. Yes, his 'super-genius' is 'thanks largely' to his body wide brain. And it's Antonio, not Anthony, as the cover to Ultimates 9 says.

Extinction is mentioned in passing as being 'another extra terrestrial threat' that SHIELD coordinated in.

The EDI, or European Defense Initiative seems to be the official term for Captain Britain and his teammates.

Interesting statistics: Thor has 7 for speed (warp speed: transceding light speed), but only 6 for strength and durability (75-100 ton; superhuman), and 4 for energy projection (medium range, duration). Not too clever either (2), apparently normal. Hulk has 7 strength (incalculable, over 100 tons), 6 durability. Nick Fury and Mahr Vehl are level 4 intelligence (gifted), Falcon and Captain Britain 5 (genius). Cap Britain also sports level 6 strength and durability.

Maybe someone else could go through the X Men part, 'cos I sure as hell can't be bothered....

Last edited:
I'm not getting this until Saturday, but I understand Black Widow's stats. It's because that's her in her armor, like Tony.

Seems intresting enough. The only thing I ask, Fuzzy, is if Apocalypse is mentioned and what it says about him.

Lynx said:
I'm not getting this until Saturday, but I understand Black Widow's stats. It's because that's her in her armor, like Tony.

Of course, my bad. I still don't like her though.

Apocalypse is mentioned as being unclear whether or not he's real or imaginary.

Fuzzy Birds said:

Ah, she's ok. She's better as a villian, though. :D

AND DAMN about Apocalyspe! :lol:

Fuzzy Birds said:
Flicked through his earlier, and I'll give it a full read later this evening, suffice to say that a few interesting tidbits were revealed:

Black Widow is nigh invulnerable: she officially has implant of an unknown origin, and almost all of her statistics, excluding intelligence (4) and speed (5), are at level 6 (of 7). That is to say, she's somehow as fast as Quicksilver (level 5 speed, supersonic), stronger and more durable than Captain America (level 4 strength, 3 durability), and, insanely, has better energy projection skills than Wanda(5)!! Ridiculous.

As Lynx says, that's the armor.

Widow is also never explicitly stated as being the traitor, only that there is one, and that she turned on Tony.

We covered up to Ultimates 2 #9 (though there was some to and fro, as we first cut the #9 info, then added it back in at the last minute, thanks to the shifting release schedules). As of #9, we know she's turned on Tony, we know they've said she was working with the group that just attacked the U.S.A., but we don't know for sure if she is the traitor, or if that's someone else, still undercover.

Pym is apparently making an army of Ultrons to fight alongside the 'anti Ultimates', and his Antman tech is somehow being utilised (maybe as communication between the soldiers). It's also confirmed that Pym was the one who reduced Bruce's dosage at his 'execution'. Coupled with the last tidbit about the Widow, could there be more to the traitor than what we've seen?

Per the script for #9, though some of that may not have been as clear in the issue - things changed a bit between the scripts we had and the issue that came out.

Fury and SHIELDS background is admitted as being contradictory, in regards to how long it's been around.
Yep, though that can be put down to deliberate misinformation he's had put out. We know false backgrounds were fabricated for Hawkeye and Black Widow before they entered the public eye (perhaps that's why Hawkeye suddenly married his long time girlfriend / mother of his children - if you've had kids with a woman, even one you are in a long term committed relationship with, it looks better to be married to her).

Gah Lak Tus is apprently 100, 000 miles long, and is robotic in origin. 'It bombards targeted worlds with psychic 'fear' broadcasts and a flesh eating virus, eradicating all life. It then breaks open the dying world to its core and sucks dry all energy...'. There you go, that's Ultimate Extinction for you.
Small taster of things to come...and far from all of it. Plus, the Kree believe its at least partially robotic, but as to whether they have the right of it, given they've never got up close and personal...

Banner was rumoured to have experimented on civilians early in his career. Likewise on himself, suggesting the Hulk was the culmination of a number or experiments.

That's all from the early issues - they talk about speculation he experimented on civilians in financially lean years.

Tony's vital statistics stand as: Intelligence, Strength, Durability and Energy Projection 6, Speed 5, and Fighting Skills 2. It's not clear whether this is inside the suit, but it's more than likely.

Yes, within the suit - he'd be 6, 2, 4, 1, 2, 2 without.

Yes, his 'super-genius' is 'thanks largely' to his body wide brain.

Given his parents he'd probably have been smart anyway, but the body wide brain makes him way smart.

And it's Antonio, not Anthony, as the cover to Ultimates 9 says.

Again, from the issues themselves.

Extinction is mentioned in passing as being 'another extra terrestrial threat' that SHIELD coordinated in.

Had to breeze over that without going into too much detail, since the story hasn't been released yet.

The EDI, or European Defense Initiative seems to be the official term for Captain Britain and his teammates.

So far that's the only name they've been given. Assuming they don't get wiped out like most of the Ultimates, they might get a more dynamic title, or they might not.

Interesting statistics: Thor has 7 for speed (warp speed: transceding light speed), but only 6 for strength and durability (75-100 ton; superhuman), and 4 for energy projection (medium range, duration). Not too clever either (2), apparently normal.

That's based on info so far - we might eventually learn Thor has multiple doctorates, and have to upgrade the intelligence, or we might see him send lightning hundreds of miles, and have to upgrade the projection, but from what we've been shown thus far, I think we're not too far out.

Hulk has 7 strength (incalculable, over 100 tons), 6 durability. Nick Fury and Mahr Vehl are level 4 intelligence (gifted), Falcon and Captain Britain 5 (genius). Cap Britain also sports level 6 strength and durability.

Falcon is multi-doctorate, creates gadgets for SHIELD (and we know the calibre of stuff they use), and his wings. He also analyzes alien tech.

Captain Britain created the suits for many of the EDI team, and we know they are all pretty powerful.

Fuzzy Birds said:

We weren't going to confirm or deny his existence here. That's for Ultimate X-Men to do.

Thanks Stuart, that clears a few things up. Appreciate what you guys put into these books, I love reading them.

I still hate Black Widow though.

Ultimate Xavier is smarter than 616 Xavier. Ultimate Xavier is a genius (5) while 616 Xavier is just gifted (4). ProjectX2 told me it's because he's an evil genius. I say that's it. :p

And Fuzzy-

Antonio is spanish for Anthony. It's the same thing.

Last edited:
TheManWithoutFear said:
So Pym definitely is responsible for Banner's survival.
Yes.

That was Nathaniel Essex in Gambit's flashbacks,

Small world.

and Stark's Team-Up story isn't completed fabricated. (Can't wait for Card to handle this...).

Information from Ultimate Iron Man marks the family picture and at least some of the details given by Peter Parker's presentation as being wrong / fabricated, but the hostage taking and Tony making some makeshift armor hasn't been contradicted and doesn't seem like the kind of thing he'd bother making up for the press (and with the number of other passengers, it'd be hard to fake).

Whether it will be refered to in Ultimate Iron Man is another matter - it may not be relevant to the story being told.

And everything is always subject to revision / new revelations which modify what we thought we knew. That's the nature of comics; Tony wasn't a regenerative mutant brain during the first Ultimate series.

Stuart said:
Information from Ultimate Iron Man marks the family picture and at least some of the details given by Peter Parker's presentation as being wrong / fabricated, but the hostage taking and Tony making some makeshift armor hasn't been contradicted and doesn't seem like the kind of thing he'd bother making up for the press (and with the number of other passengers, it'd be hard to fake).

Whether it will be refered to in Ultimate Iron Man is another matter - it may not be relevant to the story being told.

And everything is always subject to revision / new revelations which modify what we thought we knew. That's the nature of comics; Tony wasn't a regenerative mutant brain during the first Ultimate series.
Well the story was more interesting than Card's first attempt at the ultimate universe. I hope he deals with what was talked about in the team-up in Ultimate Iron Man 2. Thanks again Stuart.

What was the name of the poster we had here on UC who was so fond of claiming Hawkeye was in his early/mid 20s? In the handbook, Hawkeye has been an intelligence agent for "over a decade" - and, ooo, they used the image from the Hitch splash page that I actually own. Good for them, lol.

AN interesting job of trying not to give any actual Ultimates secrets away yet try to give hints and potential misdirection..

Rhyo said:
What was the name of the poster we had here on UC who was so fond of claiming Hawkeye was in his early/mid 20s? In the handbook, Hawkeye has been an intelligence agent for "over a decade"
Hawkeye briefly reminisces about old times with Fury at one point, when they were all that made up SHIELD and there job was taking on the communists/Soviets (can't remember the exact quote). Since Fury is his old friend, it seems highly unlikely this is a cover story or false info. Fury being godfather to one of Hawkeye's kids makes it even less likely to be bad info. Hawkeye was thus active as an intelligence agent back in the 1980s, more than 15 years ago. While the sliding timescale will eventually negate the 1980s part, the 15 years ago bit will remain correct.

I'm about 4 or 5 pages into this and I'm loving it. I've read UXM and Ultimates issues way less times than UFF or USM issues, so a lot of this information is informative and entertaining. (As for the USM/FF handbook, I don't think I even finished it!)

Boondock Jew said:
I love Gah Lak Tus's occupation: Destroyer of Life. I wonder what the application process is for something like that is...

Filled with bureaucrats. First you have to prove that the Life was there in the first place, then that you destroyed it. Now, generally, most bureaucratic centers don't use word of mouth and the terror-stricken hused words from Kree computers to believe one was a Destroyer of Life. It could be a coincidence. For example, it's hard to prove one destroyed a planet when you... destroyed the planet. No evidence, y'see? So that's why Gah Lak Tus let out Vision and why, when he comes to Earth, he will make his presence known, but leave very quickly with little fuss. Not because he wants to destroy earth, but because he want's the occupation and title to claim welfare benefits.

Great job Stuart - I've picked up a few of the Files/Handbook type books and the Ultimate issues ar by far the best.

I was a little disappointed that Widow's info was based on the armor - I thought it would be a lot more interesting to know what her enhancements had done. And it would have been nice to have Vision included, but those are pretty minor issues.

Latest posts

Back