USM: Director's Commentary

It was pretty much just a 13-14 pg. review of all the USM arcs explained by Bendis and Bagley sharing their ideas and memories from writing/drawing the
book.

A lot of it was Bendis taking you on a history run of all the reasons behind his ideas and stories.

It was pretty well done for a commentary.

Thank you for repeating what I said in my first post.

I meant any comments on any of his comments for specific arcs?

Victor Von Doom said:
Thank you for repeating what I said in my first post.

I meant any comments on any of his comments for specific arcs?

Sorry for the mix up:oops: (not really)

Anyway, I liked the how Bendis was saying how he JMS and Greg Rucka would come out to Aunt May about Peter being Spider-Man and I have to say that I don't agrre with either of them.

Aunt May would die.

After all the crap she's been through would she really be able to take all of that in? Even with all her "ghosts"?

No. The answer is no.

I think that this Aunt May must be a clone because if not she would have a heart attack. And die!

But thats just me.

Any other thoughts?

I really don't agree with you m-11, because I believe that it fell right into Aunt May's character. Why would she die? Aunt May is a strong woman who goes to therapy to help her let out her steam and problems. Although it is possible that she is a clone, I just really don't think or hope so.

the-m-11 said:
I think that this Aunt May must be a clone because if not she would have a heart attack. And die!

Not to turn this into a Clone Saga speculation thread....but after rereading this article and rereading the latest issue of USM---I don't think that she is a clone.

She acted pretty hurt when Peter revealed himself.

But I give Bendis credit--throughout the article he keeps talking about finding the right balance of Peter/MJ. I think he's handled the relationship perfectly so far. It has the feeling of a real teenage relationship. Break up...get back together....break up again for a longer period of time...etc.

Thor said:
I really don't agree with you m-11, because I believe that it fell right into Aunt May's character. Why would she die? Aunt May is a strong woman who goes to therapy to help her let out her steam and problems. Although it is possible that she is a clone, I just really don't think or hope so.

Yes I guess when you put it that way I would agree with you.

I just got carried away in this head of mine.:?

Victor Von Doom said:
But I give Bendis credit--throughout the article he keeps talking about finding the right balance of Peter/MJ. I think he's handled the relationship perfectly so far. It has the feeling of a real teenage relationship. Break up...get back together....break up again for a longer period of time...etc.

Yeah hopefully he won't do anything stupid to damage the relationship by uh, I don't know turning her into a wierd mutation.

The article gave me more respect for some of the arcs and what he was trying to do with them. I enjoyed it and want more of the clone saga.

Last edited:
That's usually what happens when creators explain themselves

But should creators have to explain themselves? Shouldn't their work say enough? And is their work that good if they have to explain it for people to appreciate it?

It's like that saying about jokes---if you have to explain the joke, then it wasn't funny enough to begin with.

Bob picks up a girl at the bar, a real nymph, and they go out to his car. They do it right there in the parking lot, and Bob decides he needs a smoke afterwards. He goes outside his car and sees his buddy Dan.

"Dan, you got to have sex with this girl in the car man, she's a real nymph."

Dan wholeheartely agrees, and goes into the car. The interior was extremely dark, but he finds the girl and they begin to do it. Several minutes later, a cop shines a light into the car.

"What's going on in there?"
Dan replies, "I'm just having sex with my drunk wife sir."
"Really?"
"Yea, though I didn't know it was my wife until you shined the flashlight on us."

Bob picks up a girl at the bar, a real nymph, and they go out to his car. They do it right there in the parking lot, and Bob decides he needs a smoke afterwards. He goes outside his car and sees his buddy Dan.

"Dan, you got to have sex with this girl in the car man, she's a real nymph."

Dan wholeheartely agrees, and goes into the car. The interior was extremely dark, but he finds the girl and they begin to do it. Several minutes later, a cop shines a light into the car.

"What's going on in there?"
Dan replies, "I'm just having sex with my drunk wife sir."
"Really?"
"Yea, though I didn't know it was my wife until you shined the flashlight on us."

Hahahahaha.

Even though Deadpool was a throwaway arc, that doesn't justify the poor quality of the story. Everyone thought that the wisecracking Deadpool would be the perfect villain to be Ultimized by Bendis.

Also, I think his apology for the Wolverine part was already included with Part 2 where there were mini-drawings of him and that other guy, he even named the title 'Jump the Shark'.
Im glad he left the wis cracking/4th wall breaking stuff out and went for a total reinvent of Deadpool

I finally read this last night and it was good but to be honest not what I expected. For those of you who don't know I'm a bit of a Bagley fan but I was dissapointed in some of the things he had to say. I totally understand that drawing spidey over and over could get a little boring. I also realize that if he really isn't having a good time doing his job then maybe he should leave and do something he can enjoy.

Come on Bags suck it up!!!!!!!!!! Does he not understand that he is a part of comic book history and every issue he adds to the record only solidifies it that much more. Not that he's not already one of the most recognizable spidey artists but why not take advantage of what has been laid before him. I don't think anybody should stay at a job they hate but no job is perfect. I hate working for a prick but I do it everyday so I can pay my mortgage and accomplish the goals I set for myself.

I once heard a quote that goes like this. "If your bored your boring". If Bagley is so bored than maybe he needs to change his negative attitude and start having fun doing a job that other artists would apperciate. He draws for a living!!! How hard could it possibly be. Being an artist (not great or anything) I enjoy being creative and if I had the talent I would never complain if I got a job drawing spidey. I really hated his negative attitude. OK I'm done with my rant on Bags.

Bendis on the other hand I was expecting to piss me off. Maybe I was just so irratated with Bags but I liked pretty much everything he had to say. I know everyone hates on the whole deadpool arc and trust me I know there are some obvious errors but I thought Ultimate Deadpool as a character was awesome. I was a big fan of the 616 Deadpool and I didn't feel bad about the ultimization. Maybe Bendis didn't give him enough attitude but remember the Ultimate U is still young and there is a ton of character developement that will eventually go down. Overall an interesting read and cool insight on USM. Oh yeah and even though Bendis said Aunt May isn't a clone in #99 I still don't believe him. Trickery and Lies!

I couldn't really find a thread for just general USM comments and I didn't want to make one so.......

I just wanna say that I find it ironic that the worst series of the UU (aside from the minis) is the one that gets the most comments. :?

USM has been one of the worst books out there right now....but yet each issue spawns dozens of thread pages per issue and several off-shoot thread questioning it's future and whatnot.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.........

I couldn't really find a thread for just general USM comments and I didn't want to make one so.......

I just wanna say that I find it ironic that the worst series of the UU (aside from the minis) is the one that gets the most comments. :?

USM has been one of the worst books out there right now....but yet each issue spawns dozens of thread pages per issue and several off-shoot thread questioning it's future and whatnot.

Fanboys like me:D

Allthough I don't post in Spidey threads that much.

That's because it sucks when there's no reason for it to and we're pissed

Latest posts

Back