USM/UDD Vs. Ultimate Hyde (Fight scene)

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
All right guys... my fic died out but I never forgot it. I keep replaying the final scene in my head where Daredevil confronts Hyde. So for kicks I'm just going to write that scene out. I'll explain most of the story that is missing from what you've already read so that will add in a lot of detail to the story. I'm just doing it for kicks and I hope you serious author's don't mind.

Also there'll be a special appearance by Nick Fury.

I'll get it done in a day or so.
 

Seldes Katne

Site mom
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
1,746
Location
New York State
You know, this is one "return from the dead" that I won't mind in the least. :D

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm just doing it for kicks and I hope you serious author's don't mind.
Why would we mind? This sure beats the practice of abandoning a story, which insures that the readers never find out what happens....
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Spider-Man swung through the night. It was snowing and he wasn't used to swinging through the air during the winter months he usually kept to the ground where the air wasn't cold enough to kill a polar bear. This was important though. As he hurried he thought to himself and tried to pull all of the information together. He just left Fisk Towers after spying on The Kingpin. Fisk had just finished telling his assistant to put an end to his super-soldier project and destroy all evidence of it.

*Wilson Fisk had his hand in super-soldiers? I bet S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't even know about this. Fury's an ignorant jack-***! No, he probably is helping Fisk. I have to find this Zabo guy before he does anymore damage. Hell's Kitchen is Daredevil's territory and he prefers that I'm not around. This is bad though. I'm not sure how bad but it could get really bad. I have to hurry.*

Hell's Kitchen
Construction site


The man formerly known as Dr. Zabo stood on top of the nearly finished building admiring the view. Thinking to himself of all the power and of all the control that he was about to take into his possesion.

*It's all mine now. I'm unstoppable. I beat Wilson Fisk with my bare hands. I'm going to be the new Kingpin and then I'm going to take over the world. If I have to crush the skulls of all of those who stand in my way, I will own the world.*

Daredevil stood silently behind Zabo. The man didn't look any different than he had in court today but he was different. Hours before Zabo was on trial for the rape of a woman. He should've been put away but the girl was confused and denied that it was Zabo. All the evidence pointed to him but the woman just kept saying, "That's not the man, not those eyes." Now Daredevil had to take down Calvin Zabo before he did any more harm. He knows that somehow Zabo's stronger than he is and the fight is going to be dangerous. He didn't have any other choice. Justice had to be served. Lives had to be saved.

Daredevil: "Calvin, you have to come with me. You need help."

Zabo: "You again, Hell's Kitchen isn't yours anymore, Devil. I beat you once and I'll kill you now. I hope all you costumed freaks aren't so stupid. I have the feeling I'll be dealing with more of you as I build my empire."

Daredevil: "You're not well. I have to take you in. I want to help."

The man just stared back at Daredevil coldly.
Zabo: "I think I'm just gonna start collecting your heads and put them on display outside my homes."
He began to charge at Daredevil.

Daredevil jumped over the charge and kicked his attacker in the head. Zabo slipped on the icy surface and slammed into the ledge of the building, leaving a crack on the small ledge. Getting up instantly, he began to walk over to Daredevil and began swinging at the vigilante. Daredevil had no problem dodgeing the fists. When he found a break he swung hard to Zabo's jaw. Zabo caught the fist in his hand and began to squeeze.

Zabo: "See it's not so hard to understand. I'm bigger and stronger. Zabo's smarter but weaker. We make such a great team. But I'm in control, Devil, I'm always in control."

Next, he brought a fist down on Daredevil and knocked him to the ground hard. He kicked Daredevil. Daredevil went flying and slammed into a metal beam. Zabo then picked up a chain and began to walk towards his prey.

There was then a sharp whistling sound. Spider-Man swung in and kicked Zabo in the head. Zabo stumbled a little and began to swing back at Spider-Man.

Spider-Man:"Calvin Zabo I presume..."

The two fought back and forth. Spider-Man useing his spider senses was more successful than Daredevil. The two continued there elogant dance. Spider-Man dodgeing every move Zabo threw at him and even getting some good shots in. Daredevil got up and watched the two mostly studying Zabo's moves.

Daredevil:"Kid, I told you to stay out of my business. Get out of here before you get hurt."

Spider-Man concentrating more on the fight breathlessly answers back.
Spider-Man:"Are you still on about the Frank Castle incident? Look, I think this situation is a tad different. Besides, it didn't really look like you had it all under control, Red."

Spider-Man then delivered a spinning wheel kick and knocked Zabo back a few steps. Daredevil jumped in and kicked Zabo to the ground. He got up faceing away from the two costumed heroes. Zabo was out of breath, on one knee, and began to reach into his pocket.

Zabo:"So two costumed heroes? That's not very fair now is it. It's a shame you make me do this. I owe so much to the good doctor. Now in order to succeed, in order win, in order to kill you I must kill him."

Daredevil heard Zabo's heart beating faster and faster. He was about to do something drastic. In his hand was a vile. Spider-Man's spider sense began to go crazy.

Daredevil: ZABO DON'T!!!

Dr. Zabo took down the whole bottle. His shirt, already torn from the fighting began to tear and his body mass began to grow, and his eyes burned with a blackness that was indescribable evil.

Hyde: "There is no more Doctor Zabo. There is only Mister Hyde."

Spider-Man:"Hahaha! Mr. Hyde? Is this guy for real? Look pal I've takin' on things much bigger and much uglier than you. I know it's hard to believe there are things out there that can't even hold a candle to you but at least they had decent handles"

Daredevil: Kid, don't...

Spider-Man then leapt up at Hyde. Hyde quickly slapped Spider-Man away as he went flying nearly over the edge. Useing his webbing he swung back at Hyde. Daredevil jumped in to help, knowing better than to fight this monster that was now infront of them. Dardevil and Spider-Man looked like little kids climbing on a body builder. Neither of them were doing any damage and were getting tossed around like ragdolls. Hyde then grabbed Spider-Man by the face and began to squeeze. Daredevil flipped back and threw his billy club at Hyde's face, hitting him between the eyes. Enough of an impact to get a reaction. Hyde then threw Spider-Man to the ground and went after Daredevil.

Hyde:"I'm going to to eat you and use your ribs as toothpicks"

Hyde took big swings at Daredevil. If he wasn't so quick he could've easily have been crushed. Backed the edge he had no where else to go.

Hyde: "I heard some of you costumed freaks can fly. What d'ya say Devil you got wings with those horns?"

Hyde then grabbed Daredevil and held him over the ledge.

Hyde: "Maybe someday we'll meet eachother again... In Hell."

Hyde threw Daredevil over. Dardevil tried to adjust his senses and could pick nothing up. Reacting almost instantly he took his billy club and fired it up towards Hyde. The other end wrapped around Hyde's neck. Hyde took a step closer over the ledge and then began to pull the cord up. Dardevil dangled in the air as the wire brought him higher and higher.

Spider-Man: "Hey ugly, did you forget how to count to two?"

Spider-Man had used his webs to fasten himself to two Construction Beams. He then slingshotted himself towards Hyde and knocked him over. Hyde began to fall and so did Daredevil again. Spider-Man dove down and rescued Daredevil. Hyde fell to the ground with a impact that people within a block could've mistaken for a small earthquake. The two heroes landed in the street and began to walk over to the body of Calvine Zabo, a transformation that was seen by a handful of Hell's Kitchen citizens. Calvin was shaking, in the fetal position, and holding his arm. His body then went still.

Spider-Man: "I found out what happened it involves the Kingpin and super-soldiers and that combo can't be any good"Is he dead? A fall took him down like that?"

Daredevil:"No, heart attack... I knew Fisk had his hand in this? Super-Soldiers, though? Those are high stakes even for The Kingpin. Kid, I told you to stop your antics. You shouldn't have been here."

Spider-Man:"What is wrong with !? I just saved your life. A thank you would've been fine. And what do you mean 'antics'? My costume doesn't have horns. What do you have against me?"

Daredevil:"Some of us manage to fight the good fight without making complete jackasses out of ourselves. You parade around in your blue and reds in broad daylight like this is all some kind of game. I've been fighting this fight for a long time now. It's dangerous and no place for you.

Spider-Man:"And I'm not fighting either? You know crimes just don't happen at midnight. Things happen all the time. I'm just trying to help with the powers that were given to me!"

Daredevil began to remember when he first started out. He used to wear yellow and his Weapon of choice was a self modified walking cane. Until S.H.I.E.L.D. took notice of him and gave him some improvements.

Spider-Man:"We gotta leave, the police will probably show up soon."

Daredevil: "S.H.I.E.L.D.'s here now."

Suddenly there were S.H.I.E.L.D agents everywhere. Around the body, interviewing witnesses and holding off other civitizens.

Spider-Man:"Oh, great..."

Dardevil:"Do you have a problem with them?"

Spider-Man:"Nick Fury's a jerk. He's a bully. I think he's up to no good."

Dardevil:"Nick's a good guy. He's got a lot to deal with and he's just trying to do what's right with the responsibility given to him."

Spider-Man:"Please tell me you're S.H.I.E.L.D. too!? I can't get away from these guys! What are you some kind of Ultimate or something. What are your powers anyway?"

Daredevil: "Haha, no, I did some work for Nick a while back. In exchange he lets me do what I have to where I have to and he also gave me some upgrades to my costume and weapons."

Spider-Man:"I still don't like him. He's shady."

Daredevil:"Kid..."

Spider-Man:"And stop calling me that!"

Daredevil:"What do you want me to call you? Peter?"

Spider-Man:"What....!? How did you?! Did Fury tell you? I swear I'm gonna kill that man."

Daredevil:"Nick didn't tell me."

Spider-Man:"Then how do you know? What else do you know. What are your powers anyway?"

Daredevil:"Not much else. I have my ways. Stay here for a minute."

Nick Fury stepped out of the shadows and stood over Dr. Calvin Zabo's dead body. He was wearing a large black trenchcoat that blew in the slight winter's wind. Daredevil walks towards him. The two shook hands. Spider-Man watched as the two talked.

Fury:"Matt..."

Daredevil:"Nick.."

Fury:"So what happened?"

Daredevil:"The kid said he heard Wilson Fisk was working on a super-soldier serum."

Fury:"The Kingpin? He's smalltime. I hope he's ready to take on the big dogs. I'll put some agents on him."

Fury then looked over Dardevil's shoulder at Spider-Man.

Fury:"Was he any trouble?"

Daredevil:"No, he actually helped me out a lot. I owe him, Nick. I just don't like a kid his age being out here like this."

Fury:"We're handleing it Matt.

Daredevil:"What do you mean you're handleing it?"

Fury gave Daredevil a look that said don't ask questions. Daredevil, still unsure, ended the conversation.

Daredevil:"Do you need anything else?"

Fury:"No, we'll take care of the cleanup. I'll call you if I need anything. I might be planning another trip to Japan soon, so be ready. Take care of yourself Matt."

The two parted and Daredevil went back to Peter.

Spider-Man:"What did he say about me? Don't tell me nothing. I know he said something he's got a crush on me, I think."

Daredevil:"Nothing, kid. Look go home now. We've both had enough action tonight."

Spider-Man:"Wait, you know my powers and my name and you're not gonna tell me your secrets?"

Daredevil looked at Spider-Man with the same look he had just recieved from Fury.

Daredevil:"Go home, kid."

Spider-Man:"Am I the only Super-Hero in this town that doesn't suck?"

Spider-Man turned to swing away

Daredevil:"Pete..."

Spider-Man turned back.

Daredevil:"Thank you."

Daredevil, with a smile on his face, used his grappling feature on his club to swing away and disappear into Hell's Kitchen's cold snowy night.

Peter thought to himself.

*I still didn't get his name or his powers. Maybe he does suck a little less now."

With a smile he swung off back home, trying hard to make it in before Aunt May's curfew.

All right guys. There you go. I just threw it together tonight with thoughts that I've been throwing around for awhile. If you have any questions ask. Sure it's not top quality but I just did it for fun and I'm glad I got it off my chest.
 

Seldes Katne

Site mom
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
1,746
Location
New York State
[raises hand] Excuse me, Mr. Author, I’ve got some questions. But I promise none of them are embarrassing, and that I have my tape recorder turned off. :wink:

First, if you get a chance, could you add a short summary of what happens between the end of the story back in the locked thread, and the beginning of this piece? I thought this was a very strong finish, but I’m curious as to how we got to this point from where we left off. (The summary doesn’t have to be long and involved, but I would like to know, among other things, what Nick Fury going to Japan has to do with the story…..)

What happened with Luke Cage? (Or were you saving that for another story?) And with Turk? And where did Ben Urich end up? I’m surprised he’s not poking around at the scene. (Or perhaps that last bit's just wishful thinking on my part. :D )

And (rhetorical question): why do so many villains want to take over the world? I mean, really, do they have any idea how much of a headache it would be to run something like that? :lol:


A couple of comments: I liked the contrast between Spider-Man and Daredevil, the teenager vs. the mature and the different takes they had on the same situations. (Two completely different views on Nick Fury, for example.) I also appreciated the fact that half of this was the Major Action Sequence, and the rest was character development through conversation. Nice balancing there.

Hyde: I’m going to eat you and use your ribs as toothpicks.”
Someone should point out to this guy that there are easier ways to get more protein into his diet….

Hyde: “I heard some of you costumed freaks can fly. What d’ya say, Devil, you got wings with those horns?”
I just liked this bit of humor.

Spider-man: “What is wrong with you!? I just saved your life. A thank you would’ve been fine. And what do you mean ‘antics’? My costume doesn’t have horns….”
Good point. (If you’ll excuse the expression. :oops: )

Good for you for finishing this in some form. Maybe someday you could get a job doing this for Marvel….
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Seldes Katne said:
[raises hand] Excuse me, Mr. Author, I’ve got some questions. But I promise none of them are embarrassing, and that I have my tape recorder turned off. :wink:

First, if you get a chance, could you add a short summary of what happens between the end of the story back in the locked thread, and the beginning of this piece? I thought this was a very strong finish, but I’m curious as to how we got to this point from where we left off. (The summary doesn’t have to be long and involved, but I would like to know, among other things, what Nick Fury going to Japan has to do with the story…..)

What happened with Luke Cage? (Or were you saving that for another story?) And with Turk? And where did Ben Urich end up? I’m surprised he’s not poking around at the scene. (Or perhaps that last bit's just wishful thinking on my part. :D )

And (rhetorical question): why do so many villains want to take over the world? I mean, really, do they have any idea how much of a headache it would be to run something like that? :lol:


A couple of comments: I liked the contrast between Spider-Man and Daredevil, the teenager vs. the mature and the different takes they had on the same situations. (Two completely different views on Nick Fury, for example.) I also appreciated the fact that half of this was the Major Action Sequence, and the rest was character development through conversation. Nice balancing there.

Good for you for finishing this in some form. Maybe someday you could get a job doing this for Marvel….


Thanks for the feedback seldes :)

Answer your questions....

1. Fury/Japan - This just gives us a bit of relationship between Matt Murdock and Nick Fury. It isn't given in detail because those are other Daredevil adventures to be told. I just wanted to show people that my Ultimate Daredevil has history with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury. This relationship involves some covert missions that even The Ultimates don't know about. What did these dealings in Japan have to deal with? Well, don't be surprised if the Ultimate Hand is involved... but again, that's for another story.

2.Luke Cage - I hate Millar... Anyway, what happens throughout the story is Luke Cage goes to jail. In one scene Foggy says to Murdock as he enters the office that Luke Cage has disappeared from jail. The next scene at night shows Daredevil at the jail meeting the warden as he's about to retire for the evening. Daredevil asks where the Cage kid went and the warden tells him that he doesn't know but SHIELD agents met with him and then took him away.
Now that I think about it, I forgot to have Daredevil ask Fury about that also. :? Not that Fury would've told him but my bad regardless.

3. Turk - Minor character for comic relief. He did his job and would be appearing occasionally throughout the series.

4. Ben Urich - This was probably the biggest subplot that I left out of the final chapter but it would have been tied up before hand. A lot of deductive reasoning leads Urich to find out that the two are the same. I was thinking that Ben ask Peter for advice being vague about who the costumed hero was. Peter thinking that it was himself adding some humor to the interaction. Urich confronts Daredevil and immediately tells him that his secret is safe with him. Daredevil doesn't really tell him yes and is still cautious of keeping his identity secret. This would be explored more in later issues but the ice breaker would have been here.

5. Hyde and most of what's missing - between the first two chapters and now deals with some of the subplots of Cage and Urich. Hyde's the big problem and the main antagonist. There's a scene where Fisk makes Zabo test the potion on himself, a mistake. Zabo takes it and there's no physical change but he's very different. He tells Fisk off and beats up the bodyguards and takes down Fisk himself. Then he goes back to the basement and burns all of it down destroying all proof of Fisk's involvement with super soldier and any chance of Fisk getting involved with Super soldiers.
Hyde then makes his run on the city starting with Hell's Kitchen. These a cat & mouse scene with Daredevil and Hyde but Daredevil loses Hyde's trail when he changes back to Zabo, who is becoming extremely mentally unstable. The previous chapter deals with Hyde's rape of a women and Zabo's on trial. The girl looks at Zabo, who everyone is convinced is guilty and says that is not the man... making Zabo a free man and leading to the events of this piece of work.

Again Seldes, thanks for the comments and questions (especially the questions). If you have any more feel free to ask.

If anyone else would like to tell me what they think of this new UDD mythology please speak up.
 

Seldes Katne

Site mom
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
1,746
Location
New York State
TheManWithoutFear said:
1. Fury/Japan - This just gives us a bit of relationship between Matt Murdock and Nick Fury. It isn't given in detail because those are other Daredevil adventures to be told. I just wanted to show people that my Ultimate Daredevil has history with S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury. This relationship involves some covert missions that even The Ultimates don't know about. What did these dealings in Japan have to deal with? Well, don't be surprised if the Ultimate Hand is involved... but again, that's for another story.
Okay. So we can expect more stories in the future, right? :wink: Even if they’re more like plot summaries…..

2.Luke Cage - I hate Millar... Anyway, what happens throughout the story is Luke Cage goes to jail. In one scene Foggy says to Murdock as he enters the office that Luke Cage has disappeared from jail. The next scene at night shows Daredevil at the jail meeting the warden as he's about to retire for the evening. Daredevil asks where the Cage kid went and the warden tells him that he doesn't know but SHIELD agents met with him and then took him away.
Now that I think about it, I forgot to have Daredevil ask Fury about that also. :? Not that Fury would've told him but my bad regardless.
Don’t waste your time hating Millar, just work around him. He had Cage on for, what, one scene? And a couple of walk-ons? Piffle. This gives you plenty of room for character development. Maybe Cage had real abilities and was just keeping them under wraps until the right moment. Or he acquires them at a later date. Or they’re latent and something triggers them. If Millar’s issue takes place after your story, perhaps when S.H.I.E.L.D. took Cage out of jail, they cut him a deal and he’s been planted with the Defenders to see if they have or recruit anyone with real power potential. There are ways around everything.

5. Hyde and most of what's missing - between the first two chapters and now deals with some of the subplots of Cage and Urich. Hyde's the big problem and the main antagonist. There's a scene where Fisk makes Zabo test the potion on himself, a mistake. Zabo takes it and there's no physical change but he's very different. He tells Fisk off and beats up the bodyguards and takes down Fisk himself. Then he goes back to the basement and burns all of it down destroying all proof of Fisk's involvement with super soldier and any chance of Fisk getting involved with Super soldiers.

Hyde then makes his run on the city starting with Hell's Kitchen. These a cat & mouse scene with Daredevil and Hyde but Daredevil loses Hyde's trail when he changes back to Zabo, who is becoming extremely mentally unstable. The previous chapter deals with Hyde's of a women and Zabo's on trial. The looks at Zabo, who everyone is convinced is guilty and says that is not the man... making Zabo a free man and leading to the events of this piece of work.
Okay, this explains a lot. I’m not familiar with the Zabo character, so I don’t know how much is from the regular Marvel Universe and how much is your invention. I think the whole Jekyll/Hyde thing is one of the few sci-fi/fantasy themes elements I’ve seen in Daredevil (as opposed to the rest of the Marvel Universe, which has pseudo-science and fantasy themes running amok… :D ). Perhaps this is one reason writers haven’t done much with Daredevil or Matt Murdock in the Ultimate Universe – he’s already one of the most down-to-Earth and understandable characters in Marvel, as opposed to many of the other characters who really do need an overhaul. Interesting how so much of the scientific explanations for characters in the UU rely on genetic manipulation rather than applied radiation. Science has changed a lot in forty years….

Anyway, I’d be interested in seeing what else you had in mind for stories, even if they’re not full-blown novels. Do you have ideas for original characters and situations, or are they mostly just “Ultimizing” the 616 characters?
 

jtg3885

Banned
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
2,940
Location
Connecticut
I really dislike the hybrid story/script format that you decided to employ. It doesn't really lend itself to any sort of emotion or allow character observations. It doesn't really tell us anything about the character other than (once in a while) what he's physically doing, and only that when it's something you've deemed major.

Also, the Hyde character may be familiar to 616 people or people you've talked to, but there's not enough of the character to actually allow new people to understand WTF is going on.
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Seldes Katne said:
Okay. So we can expect more stories in the future, right? :wink: Even if they’re more like plot summaries…..
Eh, probably just baseless speculations and ideas. :(

Seldes Katne said:
Don’t waste your time hating Millar, just work around him. He had Cage on for, what, one scene? And a couple of walk-ons? Piffle. This gives you plenty of room for character development. Maybe Cage had real abilities and was just keeping them under wraps until the right moment. Or he acquires them at a later date. Or they’re latent and something triggers them. If Millar’s issue takes place after your story, perhaps when S.H.I.E.L.D. took Cage out of jail, they cut him a deal and he’s been planted with the Defenders to see if they have or recruit anyone with real power potential. There are ways around everything.
Well that was just an introduction to Cage and then his own Mini/Title would spin from that. If I had thought of the idea after the fact (Ultimates #6) I would've worked around Millar. But I had already started on the idea so I just decided to finish it my way.

Seldes Katne said:
Okay, this explains a lot. I’m not familiar with the Zabo character, so I don’t know how much is from the regular Marvel Universe and how much is your invention. I think the whole Jekyll/Hyde thing is one of the few sci-fi/fantasy themes elements I’ve seen in Daredevil (as opposed to the rest of the Marvel Universe, which has pseudo-science and fantasy themes running amok… :D ). Perhaps this is one reason writers haven’t done much with Daredevil or Matt Murdock in the Ultimate Universe – he’s already one of the most down-to-Earth and understandable characters in Marvel, as opposed to many of the other characters who really do need an overhaul. Interesting how so much of the scientific explanations for characters in the UU rely on genetic manipulation rather than applied radiation. Science has changed a lot in forty years….
That's a good point with your last statement there. I never realized that till now. As for Hyde, there's not much to the character he is pretty identical to the Original Jekyll/Hyde only Zabo is a more darker person and is actually just waiting for the oppurtunity to not get pushed around anymore. To be honest I know very little of the 616 Hyde also so it's mostly my invention but how much of the concept is original, ya know?


Seldes Katne said:
Anyway, I’d be interested in seeing what else you had in mind for stories, even if they’re not full-blown novels. Do you have ideas for original characters and situations, or are they mostly just “Ultimizing” the 616 characters?
Tossin' around a few ideas in my head. When they surface you'll hear about them. Thanks again Seldes :)

Thee Great One said:
I really liked this what happen to your fan-fic?
Thanks TGO. My fan-fic shut itself down I guess you can say.

JTG3885 said:
I really dislike the hybrid story/script format that you decided to employ. It doesn't really lend itself to any sort of emotion or allow character observations. It doesn't really tell us anything about the character other than (once in a while) what he's physically doing, and only that when it's something you've deemed major.
Sorry. What do you want to know?


JTG3885 said:
Also, the Hyde character may be familiar to 616 people or people you've talked to, but there's not enough of the character to actually allow new people to understand WTF is going on.
According to Seldes, you're wrong. But again, ask and I will enlighten.
 

jtg3885

Banned
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
2,940
Location
Connecticut
As I said, I shouldn't have to. With the exceptions of cliff-hangers, readers shouldn't be left scratching their heads about your story. They shouldn't need to read other stories (fanfic or actual publication) to understand things. They shouldn't have to be friends who have been exposed to your entire development process to understand things. If the person is left scratching your head regarding your characters, plot, or other anything else regarding your story, then you have failed.

EDIT: Let me revise that. Obviously, they'll need some sort of information regarding the canon to which your story belongs. But their comprehension of the story shouldn't require much more than that. Especially needing readers to understand 616 to be able to get your story.
 
Last edited:

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
jtg3885 said:
As I said, I shouldn't have to. With the exceptions of cliff-hangers, readers shouldn't be left scratching their heads about your story. They shouldn't need to read other stories (fanfic or actual publication) to understand things. They shouldn't have to be friends who have been exposed to your entire development process to understand things. If the person is left scratching your head regarding your characters, plot, or other anything else regarding your story, then you have failed.

EDIT: Let me revise that. Obviously, they'll need some sort of information regarding the canon to which your story belongs. But their comprehension of the story shouldn't require much more than that. Especially needing readers to understand 616 to be able to get your story.
Yeah, I get you.
 

Seldes Katne

Site mom
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
1,746
Location
New York State
Well, perhaps this will help. MWOF's original start to the story he finishes on this thread is here: MWOF's Ultimate Daredevil Fic. It starts about midway down the page with post #21. The rest of the posts are comments, character discussion, and so on. The initial idea for the story came up on the Ben Urich discussion thread in the Ultimate Universe forum (I think), but that was just a mention, so I don't see any need to post the link for that.

I agree that important information should be contained in a story so that the reader has it all in one place. However, I think the Jekyll/Hyde archtype is common enough in literature and other forms of entertainment that most people will recognize it here, especially since "Hyde" is actually used for the character name. Also, I don't believe this was intended as a full-blown story in the first place, just a finish-up to the previously posted fragment, which is on a locked thread. As I mentioned before, I'd rather see a story finished in some form than just abandoned. This did the job. :)
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Seldes Katne said:
Well, perhaps this will help. MWOF's original start to the story he finishes on this thread is here: MWOF's Ultimate Daredevil Fic. It starts about midway down the page with post #21. The rest of the posts are comments, character discussion, and so on. The initial idea for the story came up on the Ben Urich discussion thread in the Ultimate Universe forum (I think), but that was just a mention, so I don't see any need to post the link for that.

I agree that important information should be contained in a story so that the reader has it all in one place. However, I think the Jekyll/Hyde archtype is common enough in literature and other forms of entertainment that most people will recognize it here, especially since "Hyde" is actually used for the character name. Also, I don't believe this was intended as a full-blown story in the first place, just a finish-up to the previously posted fragment, which is on a locked thread. As I mentioned before, I'd rather see a story finished in some form than just abandoned. This did the job. :)
*Starts singing* "LADY!! You are my Knight in shining armor..."

No, that's all I know of the song.
 

blob

Active Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2005
Messages
40
Well I really enjoyed that. The interaction between Peter and Matt was very nicely done and it's nice to know that you had a lot of subplots planned out. I understood about Hydes power just because Jekyll and Hyde are pretty damn famous but also this is the ending of the story right? It's much more likely that his powers "would" have been explained in an earlier chapter.

Anyway, I'm gonna go read your early chapter's now, find out what I missed out on.

Good Job :D
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
blob said:
Well I really enjoyed that. The interaction between Peter and Matt was very nicely done and it's nice to know that you had a lot of subplots planned out. I understood about Hydes power just because Jekyll and Hyde are pretty damn famous but also this is the ending of the story right? It's much more likely that his powers "would" have been explained in an earlier chapter.

Anyway, I'm gonna go read your early chapter's now, find out what I missed out on.

Good Job :D
Thanks man :)
 

blob

Active Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2005
Messages
40
Well I read the chapters that you posted and I'm shocked that you stopped.

It was really good and the ending you had planned was very good.

Oh well at least we might get some writing from you in the form of your Religous Project. Good Luck with that.
 

Latest posts

Top