Valve's Steam Coming to Mac

I just downloaded Steam to get the free Portal promotion that's running until May 24th. I've only played the flash version of Portal so I thought I'd take advantage of this offer. As far as I can tell, despite the fact I only have a MacBook, I should be able to play the game because I've got an NVIDIA graphics card.

Anyway, because the file is so big (just under 4GB) I don't want to download it all at once (limited bandwidth). If I start the download now and then pause it, I should be able to resume it at any time, even if the free promotion is over, right? I'm not sure how this system works but this was suggested to someone else with the same problem as me on another forum so I thought I'd try it out.

Anyone else using Steam for Mac? Did they get the free Portal download? Is it fun?

I just downloaded Steam to get the free Portal promotion that's running until May 24th. I've only played the flash version of Portal so I thought I'd take advantage of this offer. As far as I can tell, despite the fact I only have a MacBook, I should be able to play the game because I've got an NVIDIA graphics card.

Anyway, because the file is so big (just under 4GB) I don't want to download it all at once (limited bandwidth). If I start the download now and then pause it, I should be able to resume it at any time, even if the free promotion is over, right? I'm not sure how this system works but this was suggested to someone else with the same problem as me on another forum so I thought I'd try it out.

Anyone else using Steam for Mac? Did they get the free Portal download? Is it fun?

I'm not sure if it will remain free if you pause and resume after the 24th, but I can't imagine it not being free. I'm using Steam, and yes, Portal is awesome. It's a fun and quirky twist on the first person shooter genre.

I'm thinking, PC or Mac, we all should share our Steam names so we can friend each other.

Mine's, skottichan

(Oh, and PS, I tried it on mine, it runs fine on the nVidia 9400m, i've been using the 9600m)

Last edited:
I added you. My name is ProjectX2 (woah!)

Latest posts

Back