Vol 10: Cry Wolf

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I just picked up the TPB today.... I'm into getting issues now but I haven't discussed this yet so I'm gonna bring us back alittle.

I liked the arc. I like it better than the current one. Some complaints.

(Ice, I'm sorry) Is Iceman annoying or what? I don't know what his deal is. He's just a big brat about everything. He kisses Kitty and then goes all I love Rogue for whatever reason just so he can play Mr. Hero and then it kicks his ass in the end, as Rogue leaves him. The whole defying Cyclops thing usually would leave other characters getting seriously injured or killed, he's lucky. He's got a big attitude problem and because he's been on the team longest doesn't mean he has any authority he's still a junior member and I hope in future issues something happens where he realizes he can't act like that and he's not in charge. I don't care if he's one of the most powerful mutants in the world. He's like that kid who thinks he knows everything and no one tells him to shut up because they're just ignoring him.

Storm gettin' over Hank wasn't called for, especially by falling for Wolverine.

Wolverine turning into a softy? I don't get it. Sure he went after Gambit after Gambit laid him out but still the rest of the arc Wolverine's inner feelings thing is gettin old and we're not making an progress on his past. Let's have it ,eh?

Dazzler amuses me but like I said in another thread. She's got no friends and I think she desperately needs a boyfriend (We all know she's desperately seeking one) or she really has no reason to actually be staying on the team.

The Fenris twins were pretty sweet villains and I could see them being a threat in the future but their powers suck and they're only interesting because they're a different kind of villain. I hope to see them again but not too soon and with added help some other x-villain helping them out would be nice.

I love the Pheonix/Jean Grey hints. I think the pointing out the Empire State building is enough to close the discussion of who she was talking to in her room that one time.

Gambit/Rogue I liked a lot. As far as them coming back I've expressed I want them too and what my ideal circumstances are but if they come back at all it'll make me happy. Adding Gambit, who is older than most of the members to the team, would be good for the title.

I agree with a lot of what you said.

A pissy Iceman is a badly written Iceman. Why the humorous immature Iceman has to have an attitude problem is beyond me. I don't mind a little frustration every now and again but in this arc, Iceman did a 180.

Hopefully Wolverine isn't over Jean and lets that get between him and Storm. Plus Wolvie needs to be somewhat involved when THE PHOENIX happens.

Perhaps the Fenris twins can get ahold of Juggernaut and make him not suck.

Gambit needs to be on this team at some point. Not now, but some point. At least he finally made his long awaited appearance[/QUOTE]

IcyFlames said:
Hopefully Wolverine isn't over Jean and lets that get between him and Storm. Plus Wolvie needs to be somewhat involved when THE PHOENIX happens.

I agree. I don't want to see Logan and Jean end up together. I can see Jean's aggresive behavior towards Cyclops as something caused by the Phoenix so when the whole Pheonix episode is over they have relationship problems and Logan is there to try to steal her again.

IcyFlames said:
Perhaps the Fenris twins can get ahold of Juggernaut and make him not suck.

Dude, I was totally thinking Juggernaut what I said that... :D

Well, Fabian Cortez could do the same thing with Juggernaut... I was going to use that in one of my fan fics, but the idea was canned when the fan fic got canned. Juggernaut would work for him as he was made stronger by Cortez until Fabian feeds him too much power and actually kills him... Anway, that's besides the point.

I thought that this arc was good, but not until the end. The end was a major turning point in the title and a lot of the characters have new directions/larger roles on the team now and I am really liking that.

TheManWithoutFear said:
(Ice, I'm sorry) Is Iceman annoying or what? I don't know what his deal is. He's just a big brat about everything. He kisses Kitty and then goes all I love Rogue for whatever reason just so he can play Mr. Hero and then it kicks his ass in the end, as Rogue leaves him. The whole defying Cyclops thing usually would leave other characters getting seriously injured or killed, he's lucky. He's got a big attitude problem and because he's been on the team longest doesn't mean he has any authority he's still a junior member and I hope in future issues something happens where he realizes he can't act like that and he's not in charge. I don't care if he's one of the most powerful mutants in the world. He's like that kid who thinks he knows everything and no one tells him to shut up because they're just ignoring him.

Don't have to apologize. I assume you haven't read my posts where I also say that I don't like the way that Vaughan is writing Bobby. As I have said, under the circumstances, I can understand why Bobby is acting the way he is. But it's really a let down to see him like that every issue now.

icemastertron said:
Don't have to apologize. I assume you haven't read my posts where I also say that I don't like the way that Vaughan is writing Bobby. As I have said, under the circumstances, I can understand why Bobby is acting the way he is. But it's really a let down to see him like that every issue now.

I'm sure there's going to be an explaination as to why he's acting this way. Even if Vaughan is writing him "poorly", at least he's useing him and he is useing him a lot. So, I think there will be future developments with the character.

Vaughan's Iceman doesn't bother me. It may be because we never actually saw Iceman speak since Millar's run and I'm just enjoying the fact that he's back in action, but I didn't really mind the edge that he was given... It was immaturity, sure, but what do you expect out of someone like him at that age?

Goodwill said:
Vaughan's Iceman doesn't bother me. It may be because we never actually saw Iceman speak since Millar's run and I'm just enjoying the fact that he's back in action, but I didn't really mind the edge that he was given... It was immaturity, sure, but what do you expect out of someone like him at that age?

The main problem I have with it is that you can acknowledge that he's immature but the team doesn't think that at all apparently. There's never any punishment for what him forcing Nightcrawler to bring him down. No one tells him to shut up and stop crying about everything now. I just don't get it. If I knew Iceman I'd probably have punched him out by now...

While your right, this is a team of teenagers, so maybe they realize that it's not there place to be telling someone off like that... I don't know, I still don't see something like that being too much of a problem.

Goodwill said:
While your right, this is a team of teenagers, so maybe they realize that it's not there place to be telling someone off like that... I don't know, I still don't see something like that being too much of a problem.

But knowing Cyclops his character wouldn't take crap like that ya know? He knows he's the leader.

Dude... In Cry Wolf, don't you remember Cyclops acting all weak? "Could we not tell the professor about this part?" You're misinterpreting his character, man!

Yeah, these guys are teenagers, but as teenagers, I don't see them dealing with Bobby's behavior by not doing anything. I could see them personally taking on Bobby (a la Cyclops with Wolverine) and ending up in disaster. But when someone's just being an a--hole and screwing up team unity because of it, someone else has to take the initiative (sp?) and tell Bobby to stop being such a ******. Obviously, someone like Nightcrawler or Angel won't, but Cyclops, or even Wolverine, who doesn't care how Iceman would react, should step up. I thiink from this arc, you can tell that there are leadership issues all over, based on how sloppy the situation was handled.

Mmm... you're right. I don't see why there should be leadership issues though. Cyclops is the established leader and there was never problems with it before even when Wolverine and him went at it. No one was thinking maybe it's a leadership struggle...

TheManWithoutFear said:
Mmm... you're right. I don't see why there should be leadership issues though. Cyclops is the established leader and there was never problems with it before even when Wolverine and him went at it. No one was thinking maybe it's a leadership struggle...
Exactly. And we know that the whole Havok business isn't bothering him, not at that time at least. So we know if something's up, it's not that.

IcyFlames said:
Yeah, these guys are teenagers, but as teenagers, I don't see them dealing with Bobby's behavior by not doing anything. I could see them personally taking on Bobby (a la Cyclops with Wolverine) and ending up in disaster. But when someone's just being an a--hole and screwing up team unity because of it, someone else has to take the initiative (sp?) and tell Bobby to stop being such a ******. Obviously, someone like Nightcrawler or Angel won't, but Cyclops, or even Wolverine, who doesn't care how Iceman would react, should step up. I thiink from this arc, you can tell that there are leadership issues all over, based on how sloppy the situation was handled.

I think what Vaughan was trying to point out here was that there wasn't team unity at all; or, if there was, not that much, considering what happened at the end. They have a weak leader, a person that's so powerful they can't control themselves, a person that is almost as good as an animal, one that doesn't even know why she's there, and young people that don't know how to act in situations such as the ones they are in. Where's the unity in that?

Goodwill said:
I think what Vaughan was trying to point out here was that there wasn't team unity at all; or, if there was, not that much, considering what happened at the end. They have a weak leader, a person that's so powerful they can't control themselves, a person that is almost as good as an animal, one that doesn't even know why she's there, and young people that don't know how to act in situations such as the ones they are in. Where's the unity in that?

Good point... that sucks though because Cyclops is officially the leader and he's going to have to establish himself as such...

hmmm I'm thinkin' this might happen when Pheonix gets involved...

TheManWithoutFear said:
Good point... that sucks though because Cyclops is officially the leader and he's going to have to establish himself as such...

hmmm I'm thinkin' this might happen when Pheonix gets involved...

An interesting thought, since it can be argued that 616 Scott has seen his best characterization im Astonishing - after another Phoenix appearance and Jean death.

UltimateE said:
An interesting thought, since it can be argued that 616 Scott has seen his best characterization im Astonishing - after another Phoenix appearance and Jean death.

I'd really put that down to bad and then good writing rather than character developement. Morrison's Scott was one of the things I did not lke about his run.

Caduceus said:
I'd really put that down to bad and then good writing rather than character developement. Morrison's Scott was one of the things I did not lke about his run.

Interesting - I thought that was one of the strong points of Morrison's run. And Whedon did a great job of picking up where Morrison left off, and then making it even better. Scott is one of the best written characters in Astonishing.

Latest posts

Back