Walking...

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
So, for the last few weeks, I've been working for the FL Democratic Party during the weekends and evenings canvassing neighborhoods and signing up Democratic voters to vote by mail (absentee ballots).

My legs are starting to looks like Apollo's. Each day, I usually spend at least 4 hours walking, and average around 4-5 miles walked per day.

This weekend I did a few apartment complexes which were three stories tall (no elevators) and did more stair climbing than Sisyphus does mountain climbing. My legs are dead. Literally, I'm hobbling instead of walking. My calves have been in a perpetual state of being cramped since yesterday, and I'm sunburned as hell.

So I took today off. Tomorrow I'm back to it. So much damn walking.

I just got over a nasty bout with plantar fasciitis and have knee issues as well. I wish I could walk more but it's pretty painful.

I just got over a nasty bout with plantar fasciitis and have knee issues as well. I wish I could walk more but it's pretty painful.

I have problems with my left knee. Broke the knee cap in half about 3-4 years ago at work. It can get painful in cold weather, but luckily here in Florida that doesn't happen much.

I was worried the knee would start acting up on me from all the walking, but it hasn't at all, which I'm both surprised by and grateful for. It's just my calves and feet that are killing me. Feels like after leg day at the gym where I did only calves. Brutal.

But, took yesterday off, back to it today. Thank God there's only another couple weeks of this.

I get to meet Patrick Murphy on Saturday. He's the Congressman whose campaign I'm working for, and is coming by the campaign headquarters on Saturday. One of the few actually decent politicians, works across party lines to get things done, and is generally liked by Democrats, Republicans, and Independents, which is extremely rare. Looking forward to it, seems like a cool dude.

How'd your candidates do Drunkie?

Drunkie? Me? I don't drink. I'm the resident pothead. Come on, besides timelines and bad jokes that's like my thing.

Murphy, the guy I was canvassing for, won. Unfortunately Rick Scott, the Republican crook whose healthcare company bilked Medicaid out of hundreds of millions of dollars and who pled the 5th 75 times during the hearings somehow won the governor's seat again. And Amendment 2, which would have legalized medical marijuana in Florida, fell short of the 60% vote it needed to pass (it got 58%), thanks to the insane No on 2 campaign, which put out a ridiculous number of blatant lies to sway people not to vote Yes on the amendment. My favorite? "Marijuana... is it the new date rape drug?"

Are you kidding me? I've never heard of marijuana being used as a date rape drug. Meanwhile, how many hundreds of thousands of women are raped each year from overconsumption of alcohol?

There was the other one they put out saying illegal drug dealers could become caregivers (those who help patients obtain and use the medical marijuana), despite the qualifications and background checks to become a caregiver making it impossible for someone without medical experience or a felony record to qualify.

And then there were the comparisons to the OxyContin pill mills that became such a problem down here around 10 years back... despite marijuana not being cripplingly addictive like OxyContin, marijuana being physically impossible to overdose on, and states where marijuana has been legalized for medical and recreational use, prescription painkiller overdose deaths have dropped by close to 10%.

But unfortunately, Sheldon Adelson, the pharmaceutical companies, police, and prison industries who invested heavily in the No on 2 campaign won (without getting anywhere near the majority).

Between Scott being re-elected and Amendment 2 not passing, it's only reaffirmed my position that around half the voters in this state are ignorant morons incapable of critical thinking.

Unfortunately Rick Scott, the Republican crook whose healthcare company bilked Medicaid out of hundreds of millions of dollars and who pled the 5th 75 times during the hearings somehow won the governor's seat again.

People are so stupid. People shouldn't be allowed to vote because they are so stupid.

People are so stupid. People shouldn't be allowed to vote because they are so stupid.

He also cut $1.3 billion to public education in his first year (2010), while giving massive tax breaks to corporations that operate inside the state. He blamed his opponent for the jobs lost in the state during and after the Recession in 2008, yet took credit for the job growth in the state... even though that's happened nationwide.

I'm not a fan of Charlie Christ, his opponent, but it's a case of the lesser of two evils. Now we have another 4 years of Scott down here.

At least the questions in MA went the way they were suppose too, even if some people who got elected are horrible.

I personally hate the two party system, cause you always end up voting for the lesser of two evils.

At least the questions in MA went the way they were suppose too, even if some people who got elected are horrible. I personally hate the two party system, cause you always end up voting for the lesser of two evils.

You're from Massachusetts? What part? My family all come from Watertown, and I spent almost every summer between the ages of 5-18 up on Cape Cod (Brewster).

And I fully agree about the two party system. I desperately want to see the Independent Party gain some more traction (which it's been doing since people are becoming so disgusted due to the political deadlock in Washington DC between Dems and Repubs), and hopefully more campaign funding (which is probably the most important factor in winning elections).

I am sir, Gloucester, currently living in Danvers.

I wish Independents got more into the spotlight, though I fear that would make that party like the other two eventually.

some people who got elected are horrible.

I personally hate the two party system, cause you always end up voting for the lesser of two evils.

And there it is folks... the one thing in the world myself and Houde can agree on.

Today I walked for two hours to get the DMV to renew my temps. In fact I'm there now! Soon I won't have to walk at all.

Last edited:
I took my dog to a nature preserve and let her run around the woods
off the leash
. She had a blast, will definitely be going again. There are actually a lot of parks and woods around where I live, might go exploring.

Latest posts

Back