Want to get in to DC

Hm.... Really? I didn't find Hush to be a very good story.

I thought it was atrocious.

I'd say it's good, but not great. Nothing spectacular, just a great way to introduce yourself to Batman comics

In what way? It's certainly not better than GOTHAM ADVENTURES or BATMAN ADVENTURES; the ones based on the Dini/Timm show. It's not better than GOTHAM CENTRAL. It's not better than BATMAN & ROBIN (or really any of Morrison's Batman stuff, although I think RIP was overrated). It's not better than Kia Asamiya's BATMAN: CHILD OF DREAMS which is a manga and features Batman's rogues gallery. I doubt it can hold a candle to the Denny O'Niell/Neal Adams work. It's not better than BATMAN: YEAR ONE.

Even in the idea that "it's recent", Morrison's BATMAN & ROBIN is better, easy to understand, and currently going on now.

So forget HUSH. It's rubbish.

And to be honest, the best Batman you'll ever find is the Dini/Timm cartoon. Yeah, some comics and movies are awesome too, but that show is the best Batman to date.

Last edited:
I'd say it's good, but not great. Nothing spectacular, just a great way to introduce yourself to Batman comics

I mean, I guess so. If you don't know who the Joker is and the explanation of "He's a guy who laughs a lot and carries a mallet" is good for you, then sure. It's just the same stupid pattern Loeb used in all his books.

I thought it was atrocious.

I was trying to be polite.

Then again, I feel like Long Halloween and the other one he did with Tim Sale are over-rated too.

Last edited:
Hm.... Really? I didn't find Hush to be a very good story.

All I meant was that at worst it was readable, and at best it was a decent enough story. Next to Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum it's Watchmen.

Then again, I feel like Long Halloween and the other one he did with Tim Sale are over-rated too.

Long Halloween was very over-rated. Hush was significantly better.

In what way? It's certainly not better than GOTHAM ADVENTURES or BATMAN ADVENTURES; the ones based on the Dini/Timm show. It's not better than GOTHAM CENTRAL. It's not better than BATMAN & ROBIN (or really any of Morrison's Batman stuff, although I think RIP was overrated). It's not better than Kia Asamiya's BATMAN: CHILD OF DREAMS which is a manga and features Batman's rogues gallery. I doubt it can hold a candle to the Denny O'Niell/Neal Adams work. It's not better than BATMAN: YEAR ONE.

Even in the idea that "it's recent", Morrison's BATMAN & ROBIN is better, easy to understand, and currently going on now.

So forget HUSH. It's rubbish.

And to be honest, the best Batman you'll ever find is the Dini/Timm cartoon. Yeah, some comics and movies are awesome too, but that show is the best Batman to date.

I'm not saying it's the definitive Batman comic, the best that's out there, but if you know nothing of Batman, his allies, his enemies, even his relationship with Superman. All that is reintroduced. If you know nothing of Batman's past then you know nothing of Jason Todd, or why Barbra Gordon isn't batgirl. Things the general public don't know they can all learn and understand in this one arc. All the titles you've listed (that I've read) are great stories that are already deep into the continuity or aren't even in the mainstream continuity. Batman and Robin starts off with a huge status quo change that Bruce Wayne isn't Batman. For someone with no knowledge of batman that could be a turn off. I never meant to imply it's the definitive Batman comic or even remotely the best. I'm not even sure how you got that impression. Hush can just catch anyone up to Batman's history so their baseline knowledge can allow them to explore further stories without wonder things like "who's Tom Drake?" And really this is an indication to poor writing for Loeb. He has a relatively weak story propped up by almost everything that has been done for batman before. But the presents a benefit to brand new readers.

I don't think I can explain any better than I have

All I meant was that at worst it was readable, and at best it was a decent enough story. Next to Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum it's Watchmen.

I've decided from this point on, I will no longer communicate with words, only with LBFA strips.

2009-06-05.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not saying it's the definitive Batman comic, the best that's out there, but if you know nothing of Batman, his allies, his enemies, even his relationship with Superman. All that is reintroduced. If you know nothing of Batman's past then you know nothing of Jason Todd, or why Barbra Gordon isn't batgirl. Things the general public don't know they can all learn and understand in this one arc. All the titles you've listed (that I've read) are great stories that are already deep into the continuity or aren't even in the mainstream continuity. Batman and Robin starts off with a huge status quo change that Bruce Wayne isn't Batman. For someone with no knowledge of batman that could be a turn off. I never meant to imply it's the definitive Batman comic or even remotely the best. I'm not even sure how you got that impression. Hush can just catch anyone up to Batman's history so their baseline knowledge can allow them to explore further stories without wonder things like "who's Tom Drake?" And really this is an indication to poor writing for Loeb. He has a relatively weak story propped up by almost everything that has been done for batman before. But the presents a benefit to brand new readers.

I don't think I can explain any better than I have

Sure, but as I say, on the criteria of why you say HUSH is good for newbies, I still think it sucks.

But really; who's going to want to get into Batman but won't have seen the Nolan movies first? Buttplugs, that's who. And Buttplugs deserve no comics no how.

Last edited:

Sure, but as I say, on the criteria of why you say HUSH is good for newbies, I still think it sucks.

But really; who's going to want to get into Batman but won't have seen the Nolan movies first? Buttplugs, that's who. And Buttplugs deserve no comics no how.

662248-1698312993_e61549fcb7_super.jpg

I think it's unfair to assume buttplugs know nothing about Batman.

Last edited:

Well I don't just meant batman, but his mythology in the mainstream DC universe. Not just Batman in a wide general sense

Thanks for the info! I'll wait a little bit and start to get the regular Batman series when the new team is on it.

Now that they've released the solicitations, I would recommend trying Batman, Inc. #1, Batman: The Dark Knight #1, Batwoman #0, Batman #704, Detective Comics #871, Batman and Robin #17, and Batgirl #15 and continuing with the ones you like the most.

Last edited:
in my opinion the best DC graphic novel is Identity Crisis. It's amazing. It was probably the first DC story I ever read and I had NO idea what was going on (beyond the basic plot) or who the characters were, but it was so well written!

in my opinion the best DC graphic novel is Identity Crisis. It's amazing. It was probably the first DC story I ever read and I had NO idea what was going on (beyond the basic plot) or who the characters were, but it was so well written!

Yeah?

i really liked it when i first read it but I can see the problems with it now.

I think... possibly it's more easy to enjoy when you aren't all that familiar with the characters? It just felt oppressive and mean-spirited to me, and without any purpose. I mean, it was basically just everything good that's ever happened is a lie.

Last edited:
The best scene is Batman and Robin racing back to Tim's father. :(

Latest posts

Back