War of Kings event discussion (potential spoilers)

Gemini

well I suppose you could qualify this as Annihilation 3

Info Here

for the last week or so, Marvel.com has been releasing these "Who will rule" teasers much like the SI "Who do you trust" ones but these used old art, Vulcan, Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Starjammers, Nova, and Inhumans

apparently during all the turmoil between Annihilation, Conquest, and Secret Invasion, Son of M/Silent War, and Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire/Emperor Vulcan, Vulcan has been aggresively expanding his territory, the main conflict is apparently between Vulcan and Black Bolt (not established if he's still a skrull or not)

The first seeds of this are going to be sowed in Secret Invasion: Inhumans by Joe Pokaski and Tom Raney, leading to this event that is set for this winter

characters that are supposed to be involved include: Vulcan, The Imperial Gaurd, Black Bolt, The Inhumans, The Shi'ar, The Kree, Ronan, Wraith, The Gaurdians of the Galaxy, Nova, Super-Skrull, Havok, Polaris, Marvel Girl, and The Starjammers

The main creative force behind this is supposed to be DnA, Nova and GotG will tie-in

This sounds very interesting, it's really incorparating the entire cosmic scene, my only quibble is that the main conflict really should be Vulcan and Ronan, but what can you do.

arts:

wwrVulcan.jpg

wwrGaurdians.jpg

wwrStarjammers.jpg

wwrNova.jpg

wwrInhumans.jpg

wwrWarofKings.jpg

Very interesting. I am looking forward to Starjammers/Guardians team-ups.

I hope they pick up the plot points from the end of Slient War. With Black Bolt locked away and Maximus has took over the Inhumans.

The next time Black Bolt was shown was when he was revealed to be a Skrull.

Very interesting. I am looking forward to Starjammers/Guardians team-ups.

I hope they pick up the plot points from the end of Slient War. With Black Bolt locked away and Maximus has took over the Inhumans.

The next time Black Bolt was shown was when he was revealed to be a Skrull.

no next time he was shown he was in the middle of a confrontation with the hulk

The cover to Nova #19, I'm posting it here because it looks to be a major tie-in to WoK, especially with that Novafied Shi'ar being the focused, You don't think thats Korvus do you? with Marvel Girl and Cho'd on either side?

Nova19Cover.jpg

anywho it definitley looks interesting.

That doesn't look like Marvel Girl to me.

And I have no idea who else you are talking about.
It looks like it's them in Nova costumes. Cho'd (Starjammer) on the left, Marvel Girl on the right, and Korvus the Shi'ar guy in the middle.

Edit: Like Gemini said.

Last edited:
X-Men: King Breaker mini announced, it's a lead-in to WoK

article here:
http://marvel.com/news/all.4635.Fan_Expo_2008:_X-Men:_Kingbreaker

not sure where to put this, but it looks like this is going to become thee cosmic marvel thread for the for seeable future

Darkhawk appears in Nova, and may or may not be following Nova into WoK

article here:
http://marvel.com/news/all.4633.Fan_Expo_2008:_Darkhawk_Returns

new cover to #17
Nova17.jpg

cool stuff, I hope the rest of the Loners at least make an appearence in Nova

I just read the War Of Kings Saga and the Secret Invasion - WoK one-shot.

I really like how all these cosmic stories can relate & tie into each other without being dependent on them.

So anyway now Black Bolt is king of the Kree. :shock:

Cosmic Marvel...:rockon:

I know the Kree have been beaten down repeatedly for the past few months, but what the hell, the Inhumans just stomped all over them and didn't lose one freaking guy.

I just read the War Of Kings Saga and the Secret Invasion - WoK one-shot.

I really like how all these cosmic stories can relate & tie into each other without being dependent on them.

So anyway now Black Bolt is king of the Kree. :shock:

Cosmic Marvel...:rockon:
WoK has been kicking *** and chewing bubble gum lately

and it's all out of bubble gum

I love how Marvel let DnA basically grab EVERY major loose thread hanging around in the cosmic M.U. Son of M, Silent War, SI Inhumans, Illuminati, Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, Deadly Genesis, Rise & Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, Emperror Vulcan, Kingbreaker, Annihilation, Nova, Conquest, Guardians

They've basically been given a license to kick ***
I know the Kree have been beaten down repeatedly for the past few months, but what the hell, the Inhumans just stomped all over them and didn't lose one freaking guy.

I agree, the Kree did go over like chumps, but it made sense giving the way they were attacked (not much you can do when your attacked by people with personal force fields and teleportation tech.). I didn't buy Ronan caving so readily though, I understood that he was basically a curator, but he just overthrew one rulership of people who don't represent the interests of the Kree (The House of Fiyero in Annihilation), why would he cave so readily to someone more occupied by there own needs.

However everything else was done so well (even though Vulcan was really glossed over, and Maximus seemed way to cooperative, he's supposed to be alot like Loki) that I can accept it in anticipation of the story to come

War of Kings #1 by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning, Paul Pelletier, and Rick Magyar was a great comic, and should stand as the defining way to kick on a marvel event from now on.

The only possible thing I have to complain about is that it has way way waaaaay too many interesting characters. On both sides of the fence you have endlessly fascinating characters who are aching to be explored thoroughly, and lucky for us DnA are basically writing this entire event, everything except 10 issues (SI: Inhumans, WoK: Darkhawk, and X-Men: Kingbreaker) they will be running four series over the course of this event (WoK, Guardians, Nova, and WoK: Ascension) so they will have ample oppurtunity to explore as much as possible.

Also, this was easily the best work of Paul Pelletier's career, he's never been that prolific of an artist, but he's always been a rock solid story teller, that can ge some awesome landscapes across. He takes it up to 11 here, managing to keep such an immense cast, visually correct and distinguishable from each other is an amazing feet in of itself. Then there are the lavish locals of The Starjammer, Hala, The Shi'ar Flagship Hammer 2, and The Ice Castle of the Gon-Ket Glacier. This is a visual tour de force for Paul Pelletier, and it's only the first issue.

Great stuff. 4.5/5 I'm definitley looking forward to the next issue, and the entire event, don't label this as Annihilation 3, it's not, it's like The Cosmic Greco-Roman War.

This issue was nuts.

I hope Ronan isn't dead.

Vulcan has serious balls here.

Good, this review sounds like a TGO review.

How can he do this everytime?

Latest posts

Back