Warren Ellis / continuity problems (split)

ProjectX2

Don't expect me to take you with me when I go to s
The editors have made mistakes before...

Ellis wasn't responsible for any of the UFF continuity errors. They're all from before his time on the title.

Bludd_Rush said:
Ellis wasn't responsible for any of the UFF continuity errors. They're all from before his time on the title.

Right. If anything he tried to clean them up (at least the one about Ross being alive again).

He didn't bring Ross back though - Bendis/Millar did.

UltimateE said:
He didn't bring Ross back though - Bendis/Millar did.

Well I thought that when Ross was brought back it was before Ross was killed in Ultimate X-Men.

Rene you lost me there...

He was killed by Millar in Ultimate X-Men. Then he appeared in the first arc of Ultimate FF (I don't remember which book/s exactly) with no explanation. Ellis explained it - #14 I think it was.

I think Rene means that when Bendis and Millar wrote the first arc of FF, we all thought that this must have happened before Weapon X. But apparently now he is back from the dead...

And I didn't say Ellis was responsible for the errors. I just said the editors are letting too many through...

Yes that is what I meant. That the first few years of UFF was before UXM. Ross was head of the Baxter Building before he was head of SHIELD

I was blaming Ellis, PX2.

Well, I was thinking the same thing that Rene thought of... He never appeared when it said "present". If you remember General Talbots came in.

René said:
Yes that is what I meant. That the first few years of UFF was before UXM. Ross was head of the Baxter Building before he was head of SHIELD

Ahhh...gotcha. You're right.

If you remember, though, there was a mention of The Ultimates in the first arc as well and they weren't meant to be formed until after Fury took over after Ross' death.

I think that the first arc was being written as taking place in the past, but then Marvel decided they wanted to make it happen in present day with the rest of the titles. It's the only explanation that fits, really. Quesada (I think) had said that Ross' appearance in the first arc was a mistake, but neother Bendis (who wrote it) or Millar (who plotted it) are stupid enough to miss that. Clearly, they fully intended the story to take place back when Ross was alive (which would explain other mentions of them in Spidey and Ultimates), but things changed and Bendis had to insert that mention of The Ultimates in #5 (or 4, whatever) to set the scene as present day.

Now, Ellis explains (sort of) that Ross survived the attempt on his life by Weapon X, which helps continuity, if only a little, rather than hurting it.

The mention of the Ultimates took place after the past, though... General Ross was never seen or mentioned again after the past, guys, that's what you're missing.

Wasn't he just mentioned the second to latest issue. Something along the lines of "Ross is alive" by Sue?

I argued that exact point at first, Goody, and nobody agreed with me then. Now, I change my view of it, and you agree with my original idea. Figures...

It doesn't really matter now, though. UFF is set in present with the rest of the titles, and Ross is officially alive. Despite this conflicting with previous mentions and appearances of the FF, there's no need to create further problems by complicating things any further with Ross. He's alive, so why play around with the timeline?

I think the timeline stands as current. There have been so many errors in UXM and USM, not to mention the Team-up series, that I barely count those as ultimate books. It seems as though (through the 616 too) that a writer decides to kill off a character without consulting anyone at marvel as to whether it's a good idea or not. You can't just go around killing important figures like ross without some serious justification, especially in such a young series and the character hasn't been fully explored yet.
Also I wish they could just have a little board in the marvel offices marking which characters are currently in play, and who is where in the world so that they can have some decent cross continuity. I know it's probably only a gripe, but with Nick Fury currently in russia, and sorting out the hulk trial it feels uncomfortable. Of course the ultimate nightmare thing would have to have happened some time ago. But it mahr-vehl joins the team, then he will have to appear in the regular ultimates comic at some point. along with falcon. So these things should really be carefully planned.
But perhaps that is just me being too picky.

Oh, but a nice piece of continuity was reed developing the new 'spaceship' in UFF, for it to get played in Ultimate Secret.

Last edited:
Well, right there, is the reason why we need Millar to flatten out all of the kinks. Still, we're guessing when this story is taking place...

Latest posts

Back