Warren Ellis' Down * Spoilers *

Friday

Well, that was disapointing. The art is too cartoony for the subject matter, to the point that it almost looks like Harris was warping his style to suit requirments. The story we got was already everything summed up in the blurb, and the action sequences were just a huge disapointment after what Ellis did in Jack Cross over the last few months. I mean using a fat corpse as a shield? Come on!

1.5/5 And thats only because the Postal Worker comment made me chuckle. I wouldn't even be getting issues 2 and 3 but I'm doing my comics online now and I've already ordered them.

Baxter said:
Well, that was disapointing. The art is too cartoony for the subject matter, to the point that it almost looks like Harris was warping his style to suit requirments. The story we got was already everything summed up in the blurb, and the action sequences were just a huge disapointment after what Ellis did in Jack Cross over the last few months. I mean using a fat corpse as a shield? Come on!

Aw c'mon, who among us hasn't used a big fat corpse as a shield? It's SOP during drug deals gone awry. Why, just yesterday my grandma had to use Dick Cheney to protect herself from a piece of streetlight knocked off by an M&M balloon during the Macy's parade.

I bought this, too. The plot in a nutshell was good, but the execution (and there were lots of them) was lacking. I don't hate it (though the art was fugly). But I won't buy #2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else read the whole mini? I did in the last hour or so.

It was good, but then again, all of Warren Ellis's stuff is above average, and since I supposedly am an Ellis fanboy, I'm technically going to think all of his stuff is good.

But yeah. I was disappointed that Tony Harris couldn't do the other 3 issues, as I love his stuff, but Cully Hamner was a good replacement.

The 4th issue felt a bit... lacking to me. The art seemed like it had been rushed for most of the book, and it ended abruptly.

The main character also liked killing a bit too much. Creepy.

Hmm.. I didn't realize Harris did issue 1.

I'll have to dig it out and give it a second chance.

Latest posts

Back