Watchmen on Times 100 Greatest Novels list

Entropy

I don't know if anybody's mentioned this yet, but in Time Magazines 100 Greatest Novels from 1923 till present, Watchmen was included on the list, the only graphic work to be included. The list itself assigns no numbering system, but on the readers choice rankings, Watchmen managed to score the top spot against works like Too Kill a Mockingbird and The Sun Also Rises. Quite a feat. Check it all out here.

http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

Last edited:
I'm surprised that a mainstream title like Time would hail Watchmen. I wasn't aware that the mainstream public, the people outside of us comic nerds, actually read Watchmen.

Well, since this is on the list, I can read this in my Novels class. And write lit. analysis for it. SWEET!

Entropy said:
Watchmen managed to score the top spot against works like Too Kill a Mockingbird
Hopefully thats because people are finally learning what a horribly piece of tripe that story was.

Doc Comic said:
I'm surprised that a mainstream title like Time would hail Watchmen. I wasn't aware that the mainstream public, the people outside of us comic nerds, actually read Watchmen.
Watchmen is in the neighborhood of being two decades old, and has long been naturalized into the world of pop art.

What actually surprises me more, is the number of crazy *** superhero mad comic readers I've met who buy like dozens of Marvel and DC books a month who HAVEN'T read Watchmen. But I guess that's because most of them are too busy masturbating over George Perez and John Byrne.

EDIT: Hm. I just realized I sound like a Watchmen fanboy. Which I am not. I just find it hilarious that Watchmen seems to exist solely so that comic books have a reason to be in magazines like Time.

Last edited:
I have to write a character analysis for Rorschach, or more or less, how Moore creates Rorschach. I see him as quite a black and white character with his views of truth, justice, and the world. How can I develop this idea?

Thx.

MM

marvelman said:
I have to write a character analysis for Rorschach, or more or less, how Moore creates Rorschach. I see him as quite a black and white character with his views of truth, justice, and the world. How can I develop this idea?

Thx.

MM
A friend and I co-wrote a psychoanaytic examination of Rorschach's personality, very similar to the Doom Psychoanalysis I posted elsewhere on this board.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but I will post it tonight since I've been meaning to do so anyway.

ourchair said:
A friend and I co-wrote a psychoanaytic examination of Rorschach's personality, very similar to the Doom Psychoanalysis I posted elsewhere on this board.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but I will post it tonight since I've been meaning to do so anyway.

Marvelman just scored a free term paper - awesome.

I wish we had message boards when I was in school.

Planet-man said:
Great to see a Grahpic Novel get the recognition it deserves.

I still think Kingdom Come runs rings around Watchmen though.:wink:
Yeah but there's also Marvels. Watchmen and Kingdom Come went and decided to pick on Marvels by beating it up and taking its lunch money.

Latest posts

Back