WB in talks to create movie based on Bleach

Re: WB in talks to create movie based Bleach

Oh god no. No. nononononononononononononnoNONOONONONONONONNnoooooooooooooo

*fetal position*

Cool it could be good

Cool it could be good

There are two big problems though, one is the nationalities of the characters, I mean are we going to have white actors playing characters named Rukia? Plus there are certain cultural aspects that wouldn't translate well, like the after life being a Japanese feudal village, they would likely change it it a sky mall or something.

The other problem, Bleach like DBZ, is one of those things that doesn't translate well into live action, Manga is far more stylized then comic books and

Death note could work as a Hollywood movie, so could Full Metal Alchemist or Cow Boy Bebop, but not Bleach.

Last edited:
Does Bleach really lend itself to live action cinema? Much less a version that would undoubtedly be westernized? There's plenty of popular manga that's less stepped in distinctly Japanese tropes and themes, so why is Bleach of all things getting the adaptation treatment? I can't really imagine this working.

So, according to Ain't It Cool, WB is in talks with prominent Haitian witch doctors to revive Akira Kurosawa as a zombie to direct it.

Fingers crossed!

Edit: Oh! And Jon Hamm is apparently in the running the play Rukia.

Last edited:
While Bleach is utter crap today, I have a bit of a soft spot for it since I loved it at first. As long as they don't touch the stupid Vizard and Arrancar and maybe Aizen, I might see this.

Also, they made a rock opera for the stage in Japan. On the off chance they do something similar here...screw my reservations, I'm gonna be first in line!

There are two big problems though, one is the nationalities of the characters, I mean are we going to have white actors playing characters named Rukia? Plus there are certain cultural aspects that wouldn't translate well, like the after life being a Japanese feudal village, they would likely change it it a sky mall or something.

The other problem, Bleach like DBZ, is one of those things that doesn't translate well into live action, Manga is far more stylized then comic books and

Death note could work as a Hollywood movie, so could Full Metal Alchemist or Cow Boy Bebop, but not Bleach.

Personally, I think anything done by Urasawa would be perfect for a live-action adaptation. Maybe not as a film, but a TV show. Monster is boss.

Does Bleach really lend itself to live action cinema? Much less a version that would undoubtedly be westernized? There's plenty of popular manga that's less stepped in distinctly Japanese tropes and themes, so why is Bleach of all things getting the adaptation treatment? I can't really imagine this working.

I think out of the "big three" of shonen manga, Bleach could be more acceptable to a mainstream audicence. One Piece is far too balls-to-the-wall crazy to be even considered for live-action, and Naruto has a bunch of stuff that wouldn't translate well. Bleach's basic story is very archtypal (high school student finds a supernatural world around him) and it's urban fantasy roots lends well to live-action. Also, Bleach has some fantastic art, which would make for very nice SFX if done properly.

But the big reason of course, is this: Bleach is pretty successful in the States. This is why it's being adapted. Money money money.

Last edited:
I've got two words for you: Dragonball Evolution.

And you guys need to watch this again:[video=youtube;jafd97yJFOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jafd97yJFOI[/video]

Mark my words; nothing good will come from this.

But Dragonball Evolution was Fox not WB. WB did speed racer. Which yes people are going to argue it bombed, It was still enjoyable I loved Speed Racer I really did. Another thing people are forgetting is just because one was done badly doesn't mean another will be. They don't need to do big culture changes as there is alot of fans in west and that is who they should aim for.

I mean I've said this before take "batman begins" It shouldn't have been made if everyone is the mind set of "one sucked why bother" after Batman and robin. It's still possible to do a good version of something like Dragonball Z or Bleach if they just want to make it good not a cheap cash in.

But Dragonball Evolution was Fox not WB. WB did speed racer. Which yes people are going to argue it bombed, It was still enjoyable I loved Speed Racer I really did. Another thing people are forgetting is just because one was done badly doesn't mean another will be. They don't need to do big culture changes as there is alot of fans in west and that is who they should aim for.

I mean I've said this before take "batman begins" It shouldn't have been made if everyone is the mind set of "one sucked why bother" after Batman and robin. It's still possible to do a good version of something like Dragonball Z or Bleach if they just want to make it good not a cheap cash in.

I think the difference is, the first Batman movie proved can work in live action

Whether you liked the Speed Racer movie or not, it really bombed at the Box Office.

I think the main problem is casting, is the cast going to be all Asian (doubtful, there aren't many Asians in Hollywood and even fewer Asians you are famous) or is it going be a bunch of white people in robes with Japanese names? Even if the cast is Asian, really only Rukia looked even somewhat Asian, Orihime Inoue looked like some big breasted Irish woman, so she going to dye her hair or wear a silly wig?

Latest posts

Back