What are the Classics?

I would count as Classic as it's something old that's still fun to play

Classic
–adjective
1. of the first or highest quality, class, or rank eg a classic piece of work.
2. serving as a standard, model, or guide eg the classic method of teaching arithmetic.
3. definitive eg the classic reference work on ornithology.

Maximum Carnage by these definitions is NOT a 'classic'.

But yes, Double Dragon is. and Golden Axe.

Classic
–adjective
2. serving as a standard, model, or guide eg the classic method of teaching arithmetic.

I'm not getting in to a debate about this as it's stupid as the question was

what games even though they might be old are still worth playing?

I think Maximum Carnage is still worth playing. Hell I still do every now and again thanks to emulators. I mean some of the things already mentioned I may not like or think are "classic" but others do so I won't say anything as why bother. Not everything on this site has to be some big drawn out debate.

Classic
–adjective

Maximum Carnage by these definitions is NOT a 'classic'.

But yes, Double Dragon is. and Golden Axe.

Lemmie tell ya. Golden Axe does NOT hold up well.

SuperMetroid.jpg

That is all...

Maximum Carnage was great shame the comic sucked but the game was everything it was meant to be. I saw Total Carnage written in Planet-man's post and thought of Maximum Carnage

That game was hard as ****.

A buddy of mine got it on the VC for his Wii and it was a bit rough. Might be the Wii controls didn't lend itself to the game.

I got Golden Axe III and Streets of Rage III for the VC, both are super hard. My favorite part about both games is the character roster.

GAIII: has Conan, Red Sonja, Black Panther, and Grizzly
SRIII: has Axel (white guy), Blaze (white girl), Skate (10 year old black kid on rollerblades), and Zan (old Chinese man who is also a cyborg).

DIB wins.

It can be scientifically proven Super Metroid is the greatest game of all time, the classicest of the classics.

Houde, fire up the beakers and start mixing chemicals! Lets prove it so kids can learn about Super Metroid in school instead of Evolution, Intelligent Design, or whatever other cop-out idea is the current rage, etc.

Last edited:
C&C series and Warcraft and Starcraft are all great games, anyone remember X-com - ufo defense / enemy unknown.

Thing is with those games and with FPSs we'll remember the original ones, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Quake...and we'll remember the landmarks Goldeneye, Half-life, Halo, counterstrike....but there's loads that are all really good, but really similar, like the tom clancy series or Medal of honors. Can't really list them all.

Also there are some really quirky original games, like Monkey ball, shadow of the colossus, or Katamari Damacy - that are awsome and unlike anything, but haven't had too much of a following in terms of other games being made like them.

I don't really know what I'm after, I just suppose if you were going to write a book on the history of Computer games, after your initial volume on arcade games and platform games, what next?

Or which games would you wish they just brought out with updated graphics for each next generation console. - I'd love if they did that for Silent Hill 2 and metal gear solid, went back and made what might be considered "absolute" versions - would Lynx like to see an Absolute Final Fantasy IV? - yeah maybe that's what I'm asking, what games should be released as an 'absolute' version.

Also I like the suggestion of Mass effect, please feel free to suggest newer games. And it seems Mass Effect is trying to take concepts from 'serial drama; shows like Lost or Battlestar and put it into a computer game. I can see more games doing this.

Or which games would you wish they just brought out with updated graphics for each next generation console. - I'd love if they did that for Silent Hill 2 and metal gear solid, went back and made what might be considered "absolute" versions - would Lynx like to see an Absolute Final Fantasy IV? - yeah maybe that's what I'm asking, what games should be released as an 'absolute' version.

Funny thing about two of those games is they have made, or are making, updated versions. MGS got Twin Snakes on the Gamecube. Final Fantasy IV is getting a remake on the DS.

The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past - Nobody mentioned a Zelda game yet?! SHAME!

Castlevania - 'Nuff said.

StarCraft - The **** when I was in High School and was the break through for multiplayer strategic games.

The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past - Nobody mentioned a Zelda game yet?! SHAME!

Castlevania - 'Nuff said.

StarCraft - The **** when I was in High School and was the break through for multiplayer strategic games.

Symphony of the Night, Super Castlevania, Simon's Curse, I need to get a PSP just so I can play The Dracula X Chronicals...

And Link to the Past is the best Zelda game so far. Ocarina Of Time is just the backstory. :D

Never got into Starcraft.

Latest posts

Back