What do you hate about comics?

thee great one

Master of TOG-fu.
You know I like anything with a good story. That's why I watch movies and anime, read comics and books, and play video games. But you know what I hate about comics. It's that any good story must have a ending. I mean book's end, movie's end, show's end, etc. But comics never do. I mean Spider-Man has been going for 40 years now. Plus all the way the characters never stay the same. I mean look at Wolverine and all the different sides of him. Then the continutity errors. Plus those damn delays. I'm thinking of stopping getting most of the comics I get. What do you guys hate about comics.

I hate what you hate.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If DC or Marvel want to do a big and bold move this summer, that's never been done before, instead of producing the same apocalyptic event they produce every couple of years, they should release a whole bunch of non-superhero titles for the summer, that are each an individual, new, and separate story.

It'd blow the competition out of the water, get publicity... but no. We've got to have a story about comic continuity.

Waste of ****ing time and money.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You're already taking the right step... if you don't like it, don't read it. Comics are the only medium I've found where people will sit there and trash it, but spend money anyways. People who hate Batman won't go see Batman Begins. People who don't like Kelly Clarkson won't go buy her album. People who hate police shows won't watch NYPD Blue. But most people come on here, whine, rant, *****, and moan about this comic or that, and generally end up going out and buying it anyways. Either **** or get off the john, people.

I really like comics a lot. I can stand the delays because it will come out eventually. I mean things besides comics get delayed all the time. I don't like the fact that continutity gets messed up a lot but it not going to stop me from enjoying a good story. I love comics. I never said I hated them. I mean theres something you hate about almost everything. I just fell if thier doing a universe that go on and on that they should let it grow more. I mean look at Spider-Girl. I mean kill of more characters and let the timeline move a little faster and create new heros and stuff. I think it would be better off. And if you don't like us *****ing then don't read it.

I don't like comic fans. Most of them can't see past thier nose in terms of story quiality, prefering only to stick with one publisher without ever admiting that the other companies might be putting out something worthwhile. And, as JTG said, they'll keep buying crap.

Baxter said:
I don't like comic fans. Most of them can't see past thier nose in terms of story quiality, prefering only to stick with one publisher without ever admiting that the other companies might be putting out something worthwhile. And, as JTG said, they'll keep buying crap.
Agree.

I don't think there's anything wrong with professing some sort of loyalty or allegiance to a label or publisher, but at the same time I think it's sad when people use it as a crutch in refusing to buy anything new or as a catch-all indicator of what they think is ultimately worth buying.

I love Marvel. Have always been a Marvel pimp. I grew up on it, but I don't think that should stop me or anyone else from enjoying the scads of small publisher material or alternative format comics that are out there.

ourchair said:
I love Marvel. Have always been a Marvel pimp. I grew up on it, but I don't think that should stop me or anyone else from enjoying the scads of small publisher material or alternative format comics that are out there.
I, on the other hand, am a DC man, but thats never stopped me from enjoying things like the Ultiamte Marvel Universe, or Bendis's Daredevil or New Avengers.

Baxter said:
I, on the other hand, am a DC man, but thats never stopped me from enjoying things like the Ultiamte Marvel Universe, or Bendis's Daredevil or New Avengers.
See? Exactly! And that's never stopped us from having such a nice amiable and mutual understanding, and intelligent discussions of taste. But seriously, what I don't get are those people who believe that buying something other than what they usually buy is "betraying" something.

There is this widespread notion of stupidity that comic brands are like allegiances that shouldn't be broken whether that brand is a superhero publisher, a respected writer, or a certain publishing format. I'd say to them, "Dude, Alan Moore and Brian Michael Bendis will not spit on you for buying what you buy."

ourchair said:
See? Exactly! And that's never stopped us from having such a nice amiable and mutual understanding, and intelligent discussions of taste. But seriously, what I don't get are those people who believe that buying something other than what they usually buy is "betraying" something.

There is this widespread notion of stupidity that comic brands are like allegiances that shouldn't be broken whether that brand is a superhero publisher, a respected writer, or a certain publishing format. I'd say to them, "Dude, Alan Moore and Brian Michael Bendis will not spit on you for buying what you buy."
Well, part of that is the companies themselves play into it. From Bendis having a Lois Lane analogue raped and beaten to death to Loeb poking as Dissasembled in the latest Superman/Batman, they almost force readers to take sides.

Well, sure the writers take part in it, but I think they themselves are victim to a rivalry that is so entrenched within the culture itself. For example, Marvel jokingly perpetrated this with Stan Lee's relentlessly self-important endorsement of the comics and to this day what began as fans "jokingly" claiming DC was better than Marvel and vice versa has now devolved into something that is actually taken seriously.

ourchair said:
Well, sure the writers take part in it, but I think they themselves are victim to a rivalry that is so entrenched within the culture itself. For example, Marvel jokingly perpetrated this with Stan Lee's relentlessly self-important endorsement of the comics and to this day what began as fans "jokingly" claiming DC was better than Marvel and vice versa has now devolved into something that is actually taken seriously.
Wich is horrible, as it's greatly detrimental to the industry. You never see MGM fans ranting about how all of Paramount's movies suck. You never see Random House making public attacks on Doubleday. You don't even see Rockstar Games saying Squareenix is a bunch of sissys. It's something that needs to be adressed if the medium ever wants ot be truly taken seriously.

Baxter said:
Wich is horrible, as it's greatly detrimental to the industry. You never see MGM fans ranting about how all of Paramount's movies suck. You never see Random House making public attacks on Doubleday. You don't even see Rockstar Games saying Squareenix is a bunch of sissys. It's something that needs to be adressed if the medium ever wants ot be truly taken seriously.
And to extend that argument beyond monolithic institutions and multimedia conglomerates, how rational is it to say "Jerry Bruckheimer is TEH SUXX@!! Joel Silver RO0lz!"

ourchair said:
And to extend that argument beyond monolithic institutions and multimedia conglomerates, how rational is it to say "Jerry Bruckheimer is TEH SUXX@!! Joel Silver RO0lz!"
Exactly.

Okok i get the point....

ive read DC, but there universe sucks!

Ok ok i HAVE enjoyed a couple Batman and Green Lantern issues but THATS IT! (dont tell anyone)

Nurhachi said:
Okok i get the point....

ive read DC, but there universe sucks!

Ok ok i HAVE enjoyed a couple Batman and Green Lantern issues but THATS IT! (dont tell anyone)
We should have a Bizarro month where everyone acts like they like DC. I believe it'd be an interesting exercise for those of us who are Marvelites AND critically-minded thinkers.

Latest posts

Back