What sorts of Manga do you/have you/would you read?

Which is best?!

• Total voters
ourchair reminded me of Great Teacher Onizuka, a series that I read fairly recently, I defiantly have to include that as one of my favorites.

As for Cromartie High School, from what I've seen the anime is hilarious, but I haven't read the manga. The Kingpin guy has extreme motion sickness right?

Wich category would Vagabond go?

I've read many mangas in my earlier days (As if I were old) Gundam Wing, One Piece, Love Hina, Dragon Ball (and Z), Fushigi Yugi, Bastard!, Trigun, Inu Yasha, Shaman King, Saint Seiya and Blade of the Immortal.

This days I only read Vagabond, I read One Piece too, but only when I have time and money.

I enjoy Manga to a certain degree, but find much of it repetitive and/or boring.

Death Note is probably my favorite series, I've read all the way through it, and own all of the graphic novels that have been released in the US. For those of you who aren't familiar with the story, I actually wouldn't classify it as either Shonen or Shoujo. The story deals with Light Yagami, a genius high school student with dreams of creating a crime-free utopia. You essentially spend the series trying to decide weather you agree with the methods of Light (who kills off anyone who commits a crime) or L, the world's greatest detective. The story is very clever and intricate, something that I'm finding very rare in manga these days.

It isn't really Shonen, as Light the protagonist/antagonist never really shifts his original mindset, nor is it Shoujo, as there are very few relationships in the series, save the twisted friendship between L and Light, and Light and Ryuk.

I also read Naruto, though I'm not sure why, Full Metal Alchemist (which Ourchair has already detailed) and Monster, which I started reading at TwilightEL's suggestion. A few others I enjoy are GTO, Ranma 1/2 and Samurai Champloo.

Honestly I'm suprised to see that many of you like Dragonball Z, which I find to possibly be the worst animanga I've ever read/watched. No character development, a repetitive storyline, huge plotholes and empty and boring battle scenes make this to be a terrible series. Honestly, you have to be trying to make a manga this bad.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised that many of you do or do not like DB/Z/GT. I enjoyed the original series myself, but later stories in Z and GT were just as everyone says-Horrible. Either way it is still one of the most popular and best selling manga of all time.

I like dragonball mainly for Vegeta, they should kill Goku and his family and put Vegeta and Trunks as the main characters, or just Vegeta. He is ****ing awesome.

Honestly I'm suprised to see that many of you like Dragonball Z, which I find to possibly be the worst animanga I've ever read/watched. No character development, a repetitive storyline, huge plotholes and empty and boring battle scenes make this to be a terrible series. Honestly, you have to be trying to make a manga this bad.

Thank You! *agrees*

Boring scenes? I agree, but the most boring scene ever is from Evangelion. I don't remember quite well but I think it was the last angel that was a boy. He was in EVA01's hand and they kept that scene for what? 1 minute? I hate Evangelion with a passion, seriously, I hate it even more when someone comes to me after I've said it and say "You don't like it because you didn't get it." Oh **** You, I got it the first 3 times I've watched it, the static scenes made me want to kill someone.

....Okay sorry about that, I was totally angry with something else and I thought it would be better if I said something about Evangelion.

And I was talking about the anime... I didnt even bother to read the manga to the end...

Last edited:
I've read, like, the first five or six Dragonball Z volumes and they are far and away the best fights I've ever seen in comics. I don't even care about any of the other stuff because they just rule so much.

I've read, like, the first five or six Dragonball Z volumes and they are far and away the best fights I've ever seen in comics. I don't even care about any of the other stuff because they just rule so much.

I like the fighting, I hate the other peace moments (except when they have Vegeta, I'm gay for Vegeta :lol: ) It's like an action movie, you can't expect the meaning of life inside the book, just have fun with the fighting :D

Boring scenes? I agree, but the most boring scene ever is from Evangelion. I don't remember quite well but I think it was the last angel that was a boy. He was in EVA01's hand and they kept that scene for what? 1 minute? I hate Evangelion with a passion, seriously, I hate it even more when someone comes to me after I've said it and say "You don't like it because you didn't get it." Oh **** You, I got it the first 3 times I've watched it, the static scenes made me want to kill someone.

....Okay sorry about that, I was totally angry with something else and I thought it would be better if I said something about Evangelion.

And I was talking about the anime... I didnt even bother to read the manga to the end...

The Evangelion manga is ok, and I understand your complaints with the Anime, but I find it to be one of the best ever made. I'm not going to claim that you "Don't get it" but it probably just isn't for you. All of the crazy mind ****s actually got me really interested. Even though Shinji is really annoying.

Dragonball Z was ok at the begining. Dragonball was an ok series. But by the "Freiza saga" it became one of the worst comics ever.

Last edited:
The Evangelion manga is ok, and I understand your complaints with the Anime, but I find it to be one of the best ever made. I'm not going to claim that you "Don't get it" but it probably just for you. All of the crazy mind ****s actually got me really interested. Even though Shinji is really annoying.

Once Again, I'm with you.

I didn't mind the Kowaru death scene...

Once Again, I'm with you.

I didn't mind the Kowaru death scene...

Me neither, but apparently most people hate both the character and the way he died. All my friends are homophobic to the max so they are permenantly in denial about what was going on between Kowaru(sp?) and Shinji.

Dragonball Z was ok at the begining. Dragonball was an ok series. But by the "Freiza saga" it became one of the worst comics ever.

Manga Wise Dragon ball is Fantastic.

Anime wise (with the name changes) GT is the weak link that ruins a great series.

Also since alot like/read dragon ball how many have read "neko majin"? Basically if no one has Akira Toriyama pretty much got annoyed at what Dragon ball had become with GT and also the fact he could never top it and no matter what he does everyone who hears his name thinks Dragon ball.

He got to the point where because of GT / the Z movies and people forcing him to contiune Z after the cell saga (there was even reports that he got death threats fro killing off goku so HAD to bring him back in buu saga)

That he made neko majin which is a very clever but also funny Parody of his own creation Dragon Ball. Featuring Z who is a neko (cat) version of goku he even does the NekoHameha.

Villains include Kuriza Frieza's son. Onio a fat assed ssj:lol: and more it even has a cameo from Vegeta.

Dragonball Z, yes. Especially after Frieza. Dragonball, on the other hand, is very funny and has a lot of good characters.

As for why I like DBZ. . .I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's mindless fun. I don't want every single thing I read to be some deep, meaningful series. Sometimes, I just want to see people beat the crap outta each other. I wouldn't call it my favorite series, though. (One Piece holds that place for me).

Dragonball Z, yes. Especially after Frieza. Dragonball, on the other hand, is very funny and has a lot of good characters.

As for why I like DBZ. . .I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's mindless fun. I don't want every single thing I read to be some deep, meaningful series. Sometimes, I just want to see people beat the crap outta each other. I wouldn't call it my favorite series, though. (One Piece holds that place for me).

I was never able to get into One Piece. I read the first few novels but...it just seemed like a less-serious Naruto, but with Pirates.

I was never able to get into One Piece. I read the first few novels but...it just seemed like a less-serious Naruto, but with Pirates.

Eh, I don't really see the resembalance, other than that they're both Shonen manga. One Piece is a light-hearted adventure story (Although it has some very serious themes, such as the two most important things in this world are your dreams and aspirations and your friends), while Naruto is action/drama.

I like the adventure quality of One Piece better. Oh, and Pirates are so much cooler than ninjas. :p Not that I don't like Naruto. . .

Latest posts

Back