What's up with Bendis?

Here's another point of view for you guys and gals, look at it from the marketing point of view form marvel (you):

1) you hire some new guys, and put out two movies (Spiderman and X-men) and your comics sales start going through the roof
2) you start pushing out other titles with the guys name and reintroduce old titles,
3) if hes going to drop the name Venom, then your going to put out 3 other titles with the name Venom in it (which they did) and milk It like crazy.
4) your so focused on making money that you tell him what people drop in the titles. For example Luke Cage, and you have him dropped in different titles. (New Averngers, Secret war, Pulse and now USM warriors arc)
5) by doing this you hope that they like the guy so much that readers will by 4 comics instead of just one. You are therefore quadrupling your profits.
6) if you're having a movie coming out with the doc ock, then you tell your writer to make an arc about Doc Ock

Do you people get where im going with this? Marvel is trying to attract a whole new generation of readers, and Bendis, Vaughan Ellis, Miller are just some of the names they're using to do this so they can sell as much as they can as fast as they can.

I can totally see where you're going with this and I think that having the Marvel Next line come out as well as all of this reloading and disassembling are perfect examples of trying to get this new generation into comic books. Generations need their own characters, you see? The Ultimate line is there so you can grow up with the same characters your parents did and you've got Marvel Next to have some of your own.

Hey, I totally get what Marvel's doing. The name of a writer or artist sells books. They want him/her to do more and more books. At the moment, that's Ellis (who's style was the basis of inspiration for the Ultimate line), Bendis, Vaughn, and Millar. These guys sell.

They all sell because they are all talented writers.

But not everything they produce is gold. If everything Bendis produced was of the quality as his best works - I wouldn't be complaining. The problem is Bendis has a free run at Marvel - and he's just not producing good works at the moment.

So long as he sells, he'll keep writing what he's writing. I just hope he starts writing something I'm going to enjoy - he's done it before.

As for Connors - he's someone who wants to do great things, but does bad things to do those great things. He then feels guilty about this. Now, am I describing Connors or Macbeth? Macbeth is a great character, who rightfully has influenced many punitive or redemptive characters, indirectly or directly.

Now, there are some people who think characters should dominate story, and others who think it should be story-driven. The argument is silly, because character IS story, and story is character. Flip sides of the same coin.

Connors could have been remarkably exciting, but his story was conventional, and therefore, so is he.

The reason I think Bendis isn't 'editing' his own work, he doesn't seem rewrite he works over and over (maybe because he works on too many books) is because of someone like Connors. Good idea, poor execution, wasted potential. Saw this in Gwen, too. And Venom. Carnage. Black Cat. And on and on. He seems to just go with the obvious - which is a shame, because not too long ago I remember thinking, "where does he come up with this stuff?"

Ah, I just hope Bendis pulls it together soon. He's a good writer. He wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't.

Well, you're partially right... I think what they are also attempting to do is have new writers and artists jump on board so that they can have new creative perspectives as well as the old. Vaughan is still very much a novice when it comes to writing mainstream books and the Young Guns have only begun to show their artistic talent. Marvel's got their eyes on growth, that's what I think.

I don't know how relevant Vaughn's inexperience with mainstream books is. Yes, he hasn't really written a lot of big books. So?

Caduceus said:
I don't know how relevant Vaughn's inexperience with mainstream books is. Yes, he hasn't really written a lot of big books. So?
Y: The Last Man, a book from a mainstream imprint like DC Vertigo, has received such an incredibly insane amount of praise from publications like Entertainment Weekly that I think it qualifies as Vaughan's "big book".

ourchair said:
Y: The Last Man, a book from a mainstream imprint like DC Vertigo, has received such an incredibly insane amount of praise from publications like Entertainment Weekly that I think it qualifies as Vaughan's "big book".

I wasn't sure whether you'd count that. I still don't see why his "inexperience" is relevant?

Caduceus said:
I wasn't sure whether you'd count that. I still don't see why his "inexperience" is relevant?
Oh, well I actually AGREE with you on that matter. I was merely contesting the use of the word "big books". :D

Caduceus said:

I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, rather, I'm pointing out that Marvel is not relying on the old war horses that people have thought they are. Millar and Bendis are still writing most of what is known as Marvel now, however, I fail to see the relevance of a comment made by someone about staying where they are...

You know, Vaughan has written Batman, Swamp Thing, Green Lantern, a few X-Men miniseries, Captian America, a Spider-Man mini... He's done alot of mainstream suff, he's really just coming into his own now.

I stray to which ever part of the rack holds a good comic. I'm company-blind. I don't care if the book's from Marvel, Image, DC, Darkhorse, or Top Cow. If its good, I'll want to give it a look.

Huh, well, I didn't realize that Vaughan had written all that... I was under the impression that Y and the Runaways were his first big things, however, I guess they are just his first characters that he's created.

Back to griping about Bendis...

other books

Ultimate Gambit said:
Same here, I usually don't stray to much from the Marvel path but I heard Y is an excellent read.

Y
Invincible
Ex machina

yeah, and maybe i will gripe about bendis after the next ult spidey is out...cant really complain about his other stuff, its obvious he is putting more of his time into the other books versus ult spidey though...

Nurhachi said:
Gripe? About...'Bendis?? I dont think he's done anything gripe-worthy

I don't either, but some other members disagree, and that's the point of this thread.

Latest posts

Back