Where do you...

I have a little, teeny story.

When I first got into comics when I was 14 or so, there was a shop called "Siegi's Comics" in Canterbury and I'd go there. I'd also go to another shop in Canterbury called "Whatever Comics". Canterbury is about a 30-minute drive from my town, and back then, was badly signposted and we'd always get lost.

Anyhow, I fell out of comics and got into collectible card games a year or two later, and I played Magic, Star Trek, Babylon 5, and others over the course of the years. Siegi's closed down, and a new unrelated shop opened in Canterbury called "Incognito Comics". At this point I would go between the two shops to get my cards. When I was 18, I got back into comics because of Wizard (ah, the irony), or rather it's Dark Book '98 which was all about supervillains. I enjoyed the special a lot, I started getting back into comics, and since then, I have been the comic whore. But at that time, I only went to Incognito because they would sell individual rares for the card games I played - but unlike Whatever, they allowed me to trade my rares for new ones. As a result, I spent most of my money and time there, and I got a pull box (I didn't call it a pull box until I started coming here) there. Eventually, I stopped playing ccgs (around the time I got into comics really) and I started frequenting Whatever once again. In the last few months, I got a pull box at Whatever too, and I always (in my head) split the amount of comics I buy evenly between the two shops because they've both treated me well for so long.

Hmm. That story wasn't a short as I thought it would be.

Or as exciting. Nuts.

ultimatedjf said:
Question: how many of you guys immediately bag and file your comics into boxes after you read them (even if you take them out again for repeated readings)? Because I do that, and my copy of USM #1 is pretty valuable these days. I have 200 something issues of comics that are worth more than what I bought them for (even if it's only by like 50 cents or a dollar).

I'm a lazy bastard. Only after a couple of months and the stack of comics becomes life-threatening do I begin to bag the bastards.

The only exception is my super-favourite comics that I love too much to risk anything happening to them, such as The Ultimates and... oh. Just The Ultimates. That's the only one I bag immediately.

I misread ultimatedjf's question. I buy bags and boards for EVERY book I buy. I file them as described. I love my comics. With a 2-year old running around the house I don't want to take the risk of whatever happens NOT having them in bags & boards.

UltimateE said:
I misread ultimatedjf's question. I buy bags and boards for EVERY book I buy. I file them as described. I love my comics. With a 2-year old running around the house I don't want to take the risk of whatever happens NOT having them in bags & boards.
Same thing for me. Except the 2-year old part.

I didn't mention that I bag and board my comics in groups of 4 or 6 issues at a time if a mini-series is just six issues.

Bass said:
I didn't mention that I bag and board my comics in groups of 4 or 6 issues at a time if a mini-series is just six issues.
I bag mine with 2 in each bag. Back and front, in chronoligical number order, of course. :D

I get individual comic issues from Fat Cat Books in Johnson City, NY. They also carry gaming supplies, SF- and Fantasy-related merchandise, and SF/Fantasy novels. The staff is very friendly, and they have a good relationship with my library. They donate graphic novels, and we promote their store and programs.

My graphic novels come from a variety of places, including my local Barnes and Noble, WaldenBooks, and the Borders store in Scranton, PA. (As well as any other bookstore I can find whenever I travel.) I also buy them through Amazon.com (and there's a sticky thread on the Ultimates Forum board that gives UC a commission if you buy them through that link) and Barnes and Noble online.

I don't buy individual issues often, so bagging and preserving isn't something I think about. The only title I've bought individually in years is Ultimates 2, which I've then shipped off to Caduceus while he's comic-deprived in Denmark. :wink: The graphic novels either sit on my shelf at home, or go into our Young Adult collection at the library.

TheManWithoutFear said:
That's crazy Seldes!! I went to Binghamton to do work with my uncle and I had some off time and I stopped by that store. Those cats are awesome! Sweet I shopped at the same store Seldes shopped!!!
Good heavens, I've acquired a "groupie". :oops: :D

Please tell me you had spiedies for lunch while you were here, too....

My LCS (Excalibur Comics in Portland, Oregon - not the closest but the best) puts them in bags and I take them out and usually lose the bags. Or the bags clump in a huge taped-together-sticky pile. If I remember I put the comics back in bags before I toss them in the box in the closet, but then my favorite place to read comics is in the big whirpool bath tub, anyway, so I am what could probably be considered a "comics heathen" rather than a "collector."

I read TPB in the tub too, but I take better care of them, because they are, well, BOOKS.

Latest posts

Back