Where The Wild Things Are discussion (spoilers)

E

Excelsior Club
I took my kids to see this today. I was a little concerned because I've read conflicting reviews on whether or not it was OK for kids but mine handled it well and really liked it. Not that this is a concern for anyone else here.

I thought it was great. You really feel bad for Max, although they might have been able to do more to show that he was a victim of his environment because a lot of times he just came across as kind of bratty.

Some things seemed kind of herky-jerky too. The monsters moods and attitudes sometimes seemed to change without any real explanation. I'm not sure how intentional this was.

But it was a pretty deep movie, as weird as that sounds. There was a lot of emotion in it and a lot of that was conveyed in Max's face. When he started crying after his igloo got smash I almost started to tear up because I felt so bad for him.

Anyway, I loved it and so did my kids. 8.5/10

I liked it. But it was so freaking depressing, I don't know how a kid could understand it. Even if it's from a kid's point of view.

Last edited:
Spike Jonze has repeatedly stated that this is an adult movie about being a child. It's not really a kids movie.

I saw it last night, and really liked it, but it had a strange effect on me. I've never had such an intellectual reaction to something so raw and personal.

I liked it. But it was so freaking depressing, I don't know how a kid could understand it. Even if it's from a kid's point of view.

Spike Jonze has repeatedly stated that this is an adult movie about being a child. It's not really a kids movie.

I saw it last night, and really liked it, but it had a strange effect on me. I've never had such an intellectual reaction to something so raw and personal.

I completely agree. I felt the same way.

And it's because of that that I felt kind of weird taking them afterward. I don't think there's any way a younger kid can really completely "get it". I tried to help my daughter by explaining things and pointing things out and I think she "got it" on some level, but not on a more profound level if that makes sense.

I knew Spike Jonez said it wasn't really a kids movie but on a superficial level it works as one.

When I saw the preview for this during the summer, I got all excited. My friend looked at me like i had two heads and asked, "Are you serious? You think that looks good?"

He had never heard of the book! I couldn't believe it.

This is what happens to kids who don't read. So sad.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for this for years and I can't see it until December 3rd. :(

I think this is Spike Jonze's best movie. So raw and personal and emotional and fantastic. It seems so simple on the surface and yet had incredible depth. I was in love.

I don't understand how people can hate something like this.

I watched this last night. I'm not sure if I liked it.

On one hand I loved a lot of the effects and perfectly captured expressions of the monsters. But on the other hand I was expecting it to be deep (per all the discussion here) but in the end it just felt flat.

I plan on watching it again and re-examine it.

Those that liked the movie decided they liked it before ever seeing it.

And now Karen O's wonderful soundtrack for the movie is ineligible for Best Score. It better win Best Song or whatever that other category is.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back