Which creator's work for the big 2 most approaches the quality of his indie work?

fenway

I'm going to start with a 'thesis statement' that some people will disagree with, others will think is almost vacuously true, and (I assume) many will fall between these two extremes :)

Most times, a creator's independent work is superior to the work he/she produces for the big 2.

Why? There are so many restrictions on what you can do with Spider-man. On Invincible? Hellboy? Casanova? Not so much.
IMO, TRULY great writers work best when allowed to start from scratch. I, being a crappy writer, would represent the converse case. In an English class, as a kid, I would cringe when asked to 'write about anything'. I'm not creative enough. I need parameters within which to write, because parameters represent, at least vaguely, suggestions. Being told what I CAN'T write about helps define what I CAN. I assume this would be like writing for Marvel or DC - Write us a great Superman story.... but he can't die or swear. He can't drink and party. He can be attracted to someone, but not explicitly - and he can't be gay. He can't use his powers for evil (like killing), immoral gain (like stealing), or even somewhat understandable vice (using his vision to see people naked).

Great writers, I assume, show how great they are, by not NEEDING these parameters, and indeed, thriving without them. That comes through in the product. "What do you mean Ned Stark dies? I thought he was the main character!! Can he do that? Oh - by the way - I LOVE this book, and the uncertainty that comes with each chapter!"

So - what am I asking with respect to comics?
(Even if you disagree with my statement, you could offer great answers to this:)

What comics author has produced work for mainstream Marvel/DC that most approaches his best independent work?

Jonathan Hickman's Manhattan Projects, for example, is EXCEPTIONAL!! Was his FF this good?
Matt Fraction's Iron Man has good parts - his Defenders is/was quirky and an acquired taste (which I've acquired!) - his Fear Itself stunk - his work on Immortal Iron Fist was GREAT, but his BEST work is Casanova - it is genre re-defining!!
BKV's work for Marvel or DC has been good, but well short of the greatness of Saga, Y:the Last Man, etc
Robert Kirkman - Walking Dead is great! Invincible has also been consistently great! Remember his run on UXM? That was gaggingly bad.

The list could go on. BUT - I'm no expert!!! In your opinion, tell me a creator who's mainstream work is close to (or better) than his own stuff.

Ed Brubaker is the closest I can think of. Fatale, Incognito, and (especially) Criminal are FANTASTIC. Brubaker's work on Immortal Iron Fist is a personal favourite, but I'm sure that most would consider his run on Cap to be one of, if not the most important (and best) Marvel runs of the last 20 years.

So - Ed Brubaker is my choice - now, agree or disagree with my statement (I win no matter what - you may turn me on to some good comics!), and offer your opinion! Looking forward to it:)

Grant Morrison is a strong contender. He has a way of making his genre stuff defy conventions and read on a level above most work-for-hire stuff. He tends to take properties and make them his own.

The same goes for Alan Moore, who's one of the few guys who's runs on commercial properties sit on the lists for top artistic projects. I think his abandonment of Marvel and DC says something significant about the meat grinder and how it detracts from an artists' ability to make art.

Other than that, maybe Rick Remender? His Fear Agent and Strange Girl are great, but he has a great panache for navigating continuity, taking characters and concepts that are villified and mocked in the comics community, and turning them on their heads.

I can't really comment well on this since I don't really read anything outside of DC and Marvel (and hardly even any DC).

But that's not going to stop me from commenting.

fenway, I think you're probably right that writing for Marvel and DC is probably very restrictive on creativity most of the time. If you're going to write a good story there needs to be an actual threat and character development and growth - and yet in comics you usually aren't allowed to kill of anyone important or change the status quo very much (or you are but in superficial ways that won't last long). You know the good guys are eventually going to win and nothing much is going to change - probably the biggest exception outside of a DC reboot would be Dark Reign, but that wasn't particularly well done.

But I think its unfair to say that that's true across the board for everything published by Marvel & DC. Take the Young Avengers; Heinburg did a great job creating new characters and making me care about them. And because they are new, he's allowed to do what he wants with them. They aren't Spider-Man or Wolverine, they can die, they can become evil, they can turn out to be the Scarlet Witch's twins.

I also think of Kraven's Last Hunt. DeMatteis thought that story up for Batman, but DC wouldn't let them kill off the Joker so he kept it in the back of his head until he was working for Marvel and used it with Kraven. Kraven's Last Hunt is considered one of the best comic stories out there.

And of course you've got guys like Grant Morrison and, to a lesser extent, Geoff Johns (and an even lesser extent Bendis in his early work with Marvel) who just throw convention out the window and try new things, but do it in a way that still fits and makes the story richer (I'm thinking more of Morrison and Johns than Bendis on that part).

My point is I mostly agree, but I think that good writers will find ways to tell a good story regardless of restrictions that may or may not be there. The bigger problem is that there are a lot of mediocre writers (or worse, good writers that are lazy - I'm looking at you Bendis) who don't try hard and just crank out the same stuff over and over again. And probably the biggest problem is that people buy it.

I absolutely agree with this articulate response!!! (from a fellow Canadian! :) )

..and so while great writers will write great stories, even when faced with the restrictions of the big 2, do you think those stories might potentially be better if written independently, with no restrictions? (I don't ask that sarcastically - your YA example is a great one I hadn't thought about... part of their appeal is their connection to the larger Marvel universe, which would not have existed had it been written for an indie label)

I ALSO agree with your closing. SO many fellow comic-buyers seem to buy the titles that they always have. I did for YEARS, and finally started looking at independent comics and was thrilled - it was like I was a kid reading early Spider-man!

Manhattan Projects, Saga, Chew, The Massive, Thief of Thieves, etc, etc - These are all current comics that I personally am finding so much better than the Marvel/DC flavour of the week. Creators are also given a longer leash. Morning Glories would have been cancelled in week 3 at Marvel. What a fantastically 'woven' tapestry of a story.

My advice in general (but only because it worked for me :) ) is - if you like how a series is written at the big 2, seek out independent work by the author. Like Jason Aaron? You should see Scalped! Like Matt Fraction? Try Casanova! Jeff Lemire? Sweet Tooth (or, I've heard Underwater Welder is exceptional, and takes place in Nova Scotia - my province!!) You'll run into some exceptional artists whose style doesn't suit capes as well! (Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon, anyone? Try Daytripper for an exceptional story, exceptionally drawn - its the type of comic your non-converted friends will appreciate)

Phew - that's all :)

Mark ****ing Millar. His company work like Swamp Thing and The Ultimates excellent but his creator owned work is nothing but over indulgent crap. I touched on that in another thread... somewhere about how some creators really need a good editor to do their best work. That without it they'll just have them **** and kill everything.

Speaking of ****ing and killing everything, Garth Ennis. I haven't read a lot of his recent stuff but both his Punisher run and Preacher are excellent. He can excelle in either company owned work or a creator owned environment. He doesn't seem very interested in company work anymore tho.

I think that both Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemuire could fall into this as well. Snyder's doing some amazing work over at DC but I haven't found an of his creator owned work to be compelling at all. Lemuire is a different story. His Essex County work is great and Lost Dogs can only really be described as Terrible and beautiful. Meanwhile his runs on Animal Man and Frankenstein are full of awesome. His company work seems to be bringing out an entirely different writer and gives both works equal footing. Just don't expect the same kinds of stories if you go from one to the other.

GREAT answer - Millar's Ultimates was FANTASTIC....though his follow up Ultimate stuff felt like 'MArk Millar' was a pseudonym for 'Jeph Loeb' :)
I actually liked Nemesis, and Super Crooks (and the first Kick Ass) - BUT, I can certainly see someone having the opinion that he benefits from an editor.

"Just don't expect the same kinds of stories if you go from one to the other. " - all things considered, that's probably a very fair and 'eyes wide open' statement.

Thanks for that response!

Like Friday, the first guy that popped into my head was Mark Millar. He has made some of the best work the "big two" have ever seen, yet I can't think of a single indie series of his that was any good. Mark Millar's notable because of the vast drop in quality between his creator-owned projects and his "work-for-hire" stuff. I think though, for most, the quality is more-or-less the same. Warren Ellis has made both poor and brilliant works on either sides, same for Grant Morrison, and others. I think someone like Brian Azzarello or Ed Brubaker are much better on their indie works than the big two. So I don't know what it would be in "general", if the rarity is the superhero book is better than the indie book or vice-versa.

But, what I can take a proper stance on is the idea that it's harder to write for Spider-Man than do your own creator-project because it's too restrictive, while an indie project can be anything, so you'll be more creative.

A desire for freedom is the most suicidal thing an artist can pursue. Creativity is only possible through restriction. If you have no restrictions you will create the most obvious, cliche, predictable pap you can, because you will always go for the easiest path. There's nothing stopping you from not taking it. You said you found it hard to write about "anything" because you're not creative enough; that's not you, that's everyone. A smart writer immediately latches onto something, anything, to form restrictions. One of the most obvious is length: if you're told to write "anything", a writer may immediately ask, "how much space do I have to tell my story?" A five-page story is immediately an enormous restriction that forces you to come up with something that can be told in five pages. This is why people like Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, and Grant Morrison all paid tribute to 2000AD in forming their careers, because having to break their teeth on 5-page stories exercised both economy and creativity. GREEN MANOR is a murder mystery anthology that is so creative, it's more original than all the cop shows on television, precisely because they had to create a crime and solve it in only seven pages. There are any number of other restrictions; Genre — Bill Willingham's FABLES has to draw from folklore and so his world and its characters have to adhere to certain aspects. Think about it: if he didn't have the restrictions placed upon him by all the Big Bad Wolf stories being "true", would he have thought of Bigby Wolf? He's a great creation bred from the restriction "all fairy tales are true and happened". Adaptation — Darwyn Cooke's PARKER series is 'restricted' in that he has to adapt crime novels, so if the book delves into the inner mind of the protagonist, Cooke has to come up with a solution of how to express that with visual imagery. History — Basing something on a true story is a straight jacket. Form — Alan Moore wrote a whole issue of PROMETHEA on the idea of "can I tell a whole 22-page story in one panel?" The best writers, working on their own intellectual property or on another's, always latch immediately onto restrictions because they are what will allow them to write properly. The worst writers demand their freedom and write anything that pops into their head. When artists demand freedom, they mean "freedom to finish the work their way", they don't mean, "freedom from restrictions".

An artist's freedom is in choosing which restrictions to have, but you need them. That's why the most creative and best writers of the superhero comics are often the ones who write those characters most truest to their core. Isn't that how it is? The most "creative" writer of a superhero is the one that writes them most like how they've always been?

Consider this example: Doesn't Millar and Hitch's Thor from THE ULTIMATES feel more like Thor than entire runs of THOR? He feels very much like an otherworldly being, he doesn't seem really part of the world that the Ultimates are in, neither mutant, machine, or experiment. His nature as a proper Norse God isn't just some cool 'superpower' like Hulk's strength, rather, it gives him a celebrity and presence; everyone stops and takes notice. He's Thor, God of Thunder. Yet what has really changed? His costume has lost the cape and the helmet. He can't turn into Donald Blake, and the other Asgardians aren't present. But everything is still there, all his restrictions are there: Mjolnir, his Asgardian heritage, his super strength, powers over the weather, he's part of the team with Cap, Iron Man, Hulk and so on. He's a very creative piece of work, precisely because of how those restrictions are expressed. On the other hand, WANTED: Mark Millar can do anything he wants, and so he does. Some characters are jokes a 15-year old would make about how Clayface looks like a walking turd or Bizarro is mentally handicapped, while others are brand new. But his brand new characters are cliches we've seen before; Fox is every femme fatale you've ever seen, she's sexy... but tough! The world is run by a super secret illuminati that create the illusion of the real world, just like in any number of sci-fi stories that people have been ripping off from Philip K Dick. Millar could do anything he wanted, and all he did was the same **** everyone's been doing for 40 years. Part of this is a lack of restrictions, other is a lack of research. The two often go hand in hand. WANTED is a bland melange of neo-pulp sci-fi and a rip off of THE MATRIX, while Thor in THE ULTIMATES is one of the best superhero reinventions ever.

Creativity needs restrictions.

Phew - THAT is a well-measured response! :)
I wonder, though, is Willingham's restrictions with respect to Fables, the same as those he would face if writing Spider-man? By choosing a genre or form, you yourself are imposing the restriction. You are choosing the parameters within which to work... and have the freedom to break form or genre (didn't Kirkman do a colour ending to one of the Walking Dead issues, where the main character awoke and we were to believe the first 75 issues were a dream, and the world was taken over by aliens? He chose his comic's form, genre and appearance, then momentarily broke his own rules. We could debate the experiment's success, but probably not debate the fact that that would not happen in Spider-man).

I'd say that creativity probably does require restriction, and that the creativity lies in the way in which you navigate those restrictions. I'd suggest that greater creativity (or at least greater creative success?) tends to come when you navigate your own restrictions. Navigating someone else's restrictions probably requires you to sacrifice your creative vision for what should happen next.

In that sense, reading Marvel or DC is like watching a James Bond movie (which I enjoy, actually) - we all know what is going to happen, in a slightly different way each time - I guess when we enjoy these things, in general, its the predictability we like.

**In going back and re-reading your post, Bass, I've found that the best of what I've posted in response is a less coherent, less eloquent version of what you've said! I'm not changing it, though - I may not be much of a writer, but I feel that, in keeping with this discussion, this is at least a 'creative' way to pay you a compliment! :)

Everything everyone ever says is a less coherent, less eloquent version of what I've said.

Ever.

ALL MUST WORSHIP ME.

Last edited:
Bass is wrong.

:roll: Ultimates wasn't even that good.

And sure, creativity needs restrictions. The best writers make those restrictions themselves and fashion them in a manner that benefits the work, don't have them handed on high from corporate fiat.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Yakkity yak

Okay, so, correct me if I'm wrong, Bass, but I read your argument as this...

A story that's about everything will ultimately be about nothing. Therefore, all stories must have limitations. And since limitation is built into a corporate owned character like Spider-Man, writing comics for the big two must be equivalent to writing indie work, or maybe even a little easier, since the blueprint is already there. I think you're making two crucial mistakes here. You're assuming that all limitations are inherently equivalent, and you're mistaking these limitations as the bedrock from which the story is born. As if someone says "I want to tell a five page story" or "I want to tell a Spider-Man story" and the genesis is formed from within the mold of this core limitation.

Before I get into it, let me just say your claim that without some sort of challenge, an author is going to be lazy and take the course of least resistance is ridiculous. Anyone who takes their craft seriously doesn't want to crank out just another story. They want to tell the best story possible. Relying on genre conventions and cliches isn't derived from a lack of challenges. It's a symptom of lazy or inexperienced writing.

But let me answer your hypothesis with a pretentious metaphor. Think of the writer as a sculptor. He wants to tell a story about the relationship between power and responsibility. There are no editorial responsibilities. In front of him is this enormous hunk of marble. Contained in it, is his sketch of a narrative. It contains all the potential elements of the story in his head: the personal experiences, his own biases on the subject at hand, the tones he could take, the genres he could explore, the vague sketches of characters that have flitted around his mind over the past few years and might fit the project. And he starts chipping away. He gives it shape and form until it begins to have structure. Subplots are hammered away as he realizes they don't serve the aesthetic he wants. Characters once considered essential are carved off to give the figure definition. And eventually, he has a piece of art. He started with an enormous hunk of marble, but the end result could be anything from a life sized statue to an intricate little piece that fits in the palm of your hand. The process of writing defined the limitations. The limitations were defined by the shape the story took. What he might have considered a short story turned into a novel. What he might have considered a brief and punchy article turned into a sprawling epic. The limitations serve the purpose of telling the story, not the other way around.

One of the better examples I can think of is Vladimir Nabokov's Pale Fire, one of the funniest novels ever written, and I can't imagine a picee of work defined by more severe limitations. It barely even fits the definition of a novel. Ostensibly "Pale Fire" is a thousand line poem by a (fictional) poet named John Shade, but the bulk of it is contained in the index, commentary, and foreword, all written by an (also fictional) editor named Charles Kinbote. The story itself is more about the men's two relationship, revealed through Kinbote's egotism and self-aggrandizing biography, that spills out into the pages of his commentary. The story itself is practically defined by the limitations, but the limitations work because they directly address the story and themes Nabokov is addressing. The unreliable narrator creates a prism of possible explanations for the story he's telling. Did he kill Shade? Was Shade ever real, or is he just a pseudonym for Kinbote? Is Kinbote a pseudonym for Shade? How muc hof his biography is real and, given this is ostensibly a poem, why should we care about what the commentator has to say? There's no way to properly read the story, insuring that the reader will be flipping back and forth between the poem and the tangled mess of commentary like a goon. In short, it's a mocking, metaphysical critique of the critics and historians who live in the shadows of artists, and the very idea of having a critical commentary of artistic expression. But there's the rub. The story itself is about the relationship between artist and fan, and the severe limitations arose because they served the needs of the story, not because Nabokov needed to impose limits. Narrative came from theme, and limitations/form came from narrative.

Now, imagine you want to tell a story about the relationship between power and responsibliity, and you go to Marvel. So they give you this big hunk of marble that's already been sculpted to have the general form of Spider-Man. "Here you go," they say. "But don't change it too much. He still needs to be distinguishable". You can give him a smirk but you can't give him mandibles. You can put a small scar across his chest but nothing on the face. He still has to look pretty. You're at the mercy of decades of continuity, the core integrity of the character as merchandisable by Disney, the prejudices and predilections of the editor, and the trends of every other book starring Spider-Man and event coming down the pipeline. Story's slow to gather an audience? Well, find a way to cameo Iron Man. His new movie's coming out. There are limitations, sure, and some of them might help to tighten up your story, but they aren't self imposed, and many of them are going to be roadblocks that the narrative has to detour around rather than bridges built to guide the story to its intended resolution.

It seems to me that the most well regarded works of big two comics are the ones that are transgressive, either stories about characters that are not yet well developed or at the fringe of the universe (and thus more open to diverse interpretation and nimble retconning), or interpretations that take place in an alternate universe or where the artist has enough clout to ignore continuity as it suits them. Look at Swamp Thing or Animal Man. A one-note creature feature who had his entire core changed for the sake of a sprawling gothic epic. "Alec Holand isn't Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing is Alec Holland's corpse". A d-list superhero that had appeared in maybe three stories. "Buddy Baker is just a pawn in a game of metafiction". Look at Azz's Wonder Woman, one of the few DC relaunches getting legitimate acclaim, where he outright stated he hadn't read much and never much cared for the character, where he's completely rewritten her supporting cast and upends fundamental aspects of her characterization and background. Look at Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX, where any associations with the Marvel Universe are cut free and Ennis is left to go to town. It's hard to say these are interpretations of the core characters. Frank Castle could have been any number of 70's and 80's style vigilante pastiches, Wonder Woman could work with little change as an urban fantasy strippde out of the universe proper. ST and AM could be exchanged with any number of original or existing characters with little loss to the original properties. These books aren't the definitive stories of these characters because they're about these characters. They're the definitive stories because they're great stories in and of themselves that are hidden in the skins of existing properties, and they become the new definition for these properties.

And The Ultimates is much the same. Whether you think it's one of the best works of mainstream superhero narrative or not, it's hard to argue that Mark Millar was given a pretty remarkable degree of creative license most writers aren't given. Writing superhero comics rarely gives you the amount of leverage for interpretation he had, and its success is largely due to the degree to which he reinterpreted. Classic characters are chiseled down until their virtues are stripped away and all that's left are their ugliest, rawest traits. If you ask me, they aren't at all the core interpretations of these characters. Thor in particular seems antithetical to the vision of Kirby and later Simonson's character. But it worked not because it captured these characters, but because it essentially gave Millar license to tell a creator-driven superhero comic with the names of Marvel characters plastered to his characters. And Wanted was just a rejected DC pitch with the names changed to be marketed as an indie book. Either could interchangably work in canon or out, but they both sink and swim on the creative freedoms given to Millar.

On second thought, that's maybe a little too far, but I still think it's pretty clear the success of The Ultimates came from a loosening of limitations on corporate-creative properties. And it's also a textbook example of creator-owned versus corporate owned. Would The Ultimates have been better had it not been licensed? Yes. And it would have been called The Authority. ;)

That isn't to say there can't be great pieces of work that are driven by an author's desire for an owned character. All-Star Superman was clearly a project of passion, and one that would have not had nearly the impact with any other character. Sometimes an artist's intent will serendipitously converge with a particular character. Sometimes a story can be fused to a character with little sacrifice being made. But more often than not, the great passion project for someone isn't going to neatly tailor itself as a Spider-Man story.

fenway said:
I'd say that creativity probably does require restriction, and that the creativity lies in the way in which you navigate those restrictions. I'd suggest that greater creativity (or at least greater creative success?) tends to come when you navigate your own restrictions. Navigating someone else's restrictions probably requires you to sacrifice your creative vision for what should happen next.

I think that's a good way of putting it. With most skills, you learn by following a blueprint. You mimic artists or musicians or writers you know. You crib their style as you learn the craft, and the more you do it, the more you learn. But eventually you reach a point where the templated available aren't versatile enough to tell the story you want.

Last edited:
I'm going to speak for most people and say that if your post is more than three full paragraphs, I'm usually not going to read the whole thing...

I'm going to speak for most people and say that if your post is more than three full paragraphs, I'm usually not going to read the whole thing...

Hey, your loss.

But you could have at least shortened your post to "tl;dr" so I wouldn't have to read the whole thing.

Zombipanda said:
Hey, your loss.

But you could have at least shortened your post to "tl;dr" so I wouldn't have to read the whole thing.

:lol: okay, I'll try to be more considerate next time.

I realized just now, after thinking about it again, that my last post about not reading your long posts was pretty rude. I apologize.

That was an awesome post Zombipanda. I have to read it again to fully understand what your trying to say, but the just seems to be as creative license is loosened, the story becomes better.

That was an awesome post Zombipanda. I have to read it again to fully understand what your trying to say, but the just seems to be as creative license is loosened, the story becomes better.

That's what I got from it. And I completely agree. It's unfortunate that they (particularly Marvel, I guess, because I read more of their books) don't allow this kind of thing more often because it allows for greater critical acclaim and higher sales.

That's what I got from it. And I completely agree. It's unfortunate that they (particularly Marvel, I guess, because I read more of their books) don't allow this kind of thing more often because it allows for greater critical acclaim and higher sales.

More or less, yeah. I think there tends to be a general progression you can follow of a work's quality, with company projects becoming better and more lively the more freedom the artist has, and indie books being more genuine passion projects since, well, it's an artist pitching their story instead of trying to sell a Spider-Man story Marvel wants to buy. There are exceptions of course, but I found Bass' claim ridiculous enough that I had to say something.

More or less, yeah. I think there tends to be a general progression you can follow of a work's quality, with company projects becoming better and more lively the more freedom the artist has, and indie books being more genuine passion projects since, well, it's an artist pitching their story instead of trying to sell a Spider-Man story Marvel wants to buy. There are exceptions of course, but I found Bass' claim ridiculous enough that I had to say something.

The reason you thought my claim was ridiculous is because you misconstrued it.

Okay, so, correct me if I'm wrong, Bass, but I read your argument as this...

A story that's about everything will ultimately be about nothing.

I never brought up anything to do with content. I was talking purely about creativity. Restrictions can provide focus for content, but I was never making any point like that.

Therefore, all stories must have limitations.

Firstly, it's not "therefore" because the point can't follow from a point I never made. Secondly, all stories have limitations. It's not something one can choose not to do. Stories are temporal art form; immediately the time it takes to tell is a limitation upon the artist. Saying all stories must have limitations infers a possibility of one without limitations, and that's nonsensical.

And since limitation is built into a corporate owned character like Spider-Man, writing comics for the big two must be equivalent to writing indie work, or maybe even a little easier, since the blueprint is already there. I think you're making two crucial mistakes here. You're assuming that all limitations are inherently equivalent, and you're mistaking these limitations as the bedrock from which the story is born. As if someone says "I want to tell a five page story" or "I want to tell a Spider-Man story" and the genesis is formed from within the mold of this core limitation.

I absolutely agree that the argument you posited is crucially flawed... which is why I never made it. I never espoused all limitations are inherently equivalent, I mentioned that the artist is free to choose their limitations, and gave multiple different types of limitations to show the potential variety available, not to homogenize them. Nor did I think that the creative process begins with a restriction. It can do, and some people do indeed consider them first. Much of the avant garde of an art form is developed precisely from the 'bedrock' as it were, of the limitations of the medium itself. But that isn't always the case, and I never implied that it was.

Before I get into it, let me just say your claim that without some sort of challenge, an author is going to be lazy and take the course of least resistance is ridiculous. Anyone who takes their craft seriously doesn't want to crank out just another story. They want to tell the best story possible. Relying on genre conventions and cliches isn't derived from a lack of challenges. It's a symptom of lazy or inexperienced writing.

It's not ridiculous. It's psychology. You will take the path of least resistance, every time. The author you've imagined who takes their craft seriously, if they do not have restrictions imposed from without, they'll impose them upon themselves. What do you think a writer means when he says, "No. My character wouldn't do that."? He's restricting his choices by imposing upon himself the restriction that is 'that character'. And sometimes, over the course of the work, restrictions will be ignored or imposed. Perhaps that character does change. Perhaps the character is dropped entirely. It's naive to think that you can create without restrictions. Painters don't create by putting every colour on their palette and using them all up. They carefully choose to use certain hues, and the others can't be used. Writers immediately section off entire settings and genres when they begin the process of writing proper.

The misapprehension comes from the confusing terminology we use: when someone is creative, we say that their mind is "free" to explore new ideas, they're "open-minded", the psychological term for someone being creative is "the open mode". And so the concept of restrictions would seem to indicate the opposite; close-minded, trapped, blocked. But this terminology is descriptive of the mental state, not of the results of being in that mental state. You're "free" to be "creative". You need to be in the open mode to be creative, but once in that mode, you need something to work off of in order to focus your mind on the very thing you're trying to be creative about.

But let me answer your hypothesis with a pretentious metaphor. Think of the writer as a sculptor. He wants to tell a story about the relationship between power and responsibility. There are no editorial responsibilities. In front of him is this enormous hunk of marble. Contained in it, is his sketch of a narrative. It contains all the potential elements of the story in his head: the personal experiences, his own biases on the subject at hand, the tones he could take, the genres he could explore, the vague sketches of characters that have flitted around his mind over the past few years and might fit the project. And he starts chipping away. He gives it shape and form until it begins to have structure. Subplots are hammered away as he realizes they don't serve the aesthetic he wants. Characters once considered essential are carved off to give the figure definition. And eventually, he has a piece of art. He started with an enormous hunk of marble, but the end result could be anything from a life sized statue to an intricate little piece that fits in the palm of your hand. The process of writing defined the limitations. The limitations were defined by the shape the story took. What he might have considered a short story turned into a novel. What he might have considered a brief and punchy article turned into a sprawling epic. The limitations serve the purpose of telling the story, not the other way around.

The hunk of marble is a creative restriction: only certain forms are achievable from it. He cannot chip at the marble and create plastic. Nor can he create something larger than the block of marble was to begin with. So to, are the tools he uses to chip at it. The artist could choose to use just his hands. After days, weeks, of pounding his fists at the marble, he's exerted a lot of energy, he's exhausted, and all he has to show for it is a hunk of marble. Alternatively, the artist could choose to use any materials he wants. So his marble structure has paper sellotaped to it, sheets of metal balanced on it, and clingfilm wrapped around it. He's free to do what he wants. So he just grabs whatever is around and uses that.

But, if we're going to talk sculpture: in sculpture, you begin with mud. Clay. You begin learning how to sculpt with a material you can add to. This allows people to make mistakes and learn from them. If you accidentally take too much clay off, no problem, just add more on. As you progress as a sculptor, the materials work towards marble and stone. Materials that if you chip off one inch to much, you've ruined it all. You can't put it back. The master sculptors all worked in such materials, because it was the most difficult, and therefore, the most artistic material. With clay, you could do anything you wanted, because it was cheap and replenishable. But the nature of marble was costly and irrevocable, and those were restrictions that forced the sculptor to only produce their best work. Every use of the chisel had to be precise, considered, and the most effective choice. Modern art no longer uses even clay. The modern art sculpture is a mash-up of random, tangentially linked objects, "installed" as they are. Glass is put in a gallery as glass. They're so "creative", they don't even create anymore. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in the Tate Modern, right now, a Turner-prize winning sculpture is a random block of marble.

One of the better examples I can think of is Vladimir Nabokov's Pale Fire, one of the funniest novels ever written, and I can't imagine a picee of work defined by more severe limitations. It barely even fits the definition of a novel. Ostensibly "Pale Fire" is a thousand line poem by a (fictional) poet named John Shade, but the bulk of it is contained in the index, commentary, and foreword, all written by an (also fictional) editor named Charles Kinbote. The story itself is more about the men's two relationship, revealed through Kinbote's egotism and self-aggrandizing biography, that spills out into the pages of his commentary. The story itself is practically defined by the limitations, but the limitations work because they directly address the story and themes Nabokov is addressing. The unreliable narrator creates a prism of possible explanations for the story he's telling. Did he kill Shade? Was Shade ever real, or is he just a pseudonym for Kinbote? Is Kinbote a pseudonym for Shade? How muc hof his biography is real and, given this is ostensibly a poem, why should we care about what the commentator has to say? There's no way to properly read the story, insuring that the reader will be flipping back and forth between the poem and the tangled mess of commentary like a goon. In short, it's a mocking, metaphysical critique of the critics and historians who live in the shadows of artists, and the very idea of having a critical commentary of artistic expression. But there's the rub. The story itself is about the relationship between artist and fan, and the severe limitations arose because they served the needs of the story, not because Nabokov needed to impose limits. Narrative came from theme, and limitations/form came from narrative.

Now, imagine you want to tell a story about the relationship between power and responsibliity, and you go to Marvel. So they give you this big hunk of marble that's already been sculpted to have the general form of Spider-Man. "Here you go," they say. "But don't change it too much. He still needs to be distinguishable". You can give him a smirk but you can't give him mandibles. You can put a small scar across his chest but nothing on the face. He still has to look pretty. You're at the mercy of decades of continuity, the core integrity of the character as merchandisable by Disney, the prejudices and predilections of the editor, and the trends of every other book starring Spider-Man and event coming down the pipeline. Story's slow to gather an audience? Well, find a way to cameo Iron Man. His new movie's coming out. There are limitations, sure, and some of them might help to tighten up your story, but they aren't self imposed, and many of them are going to be roadblocks that the narrative has to detour around rather than bridges built to guide the story to its intended resolution.

Again, you're responding to points I never made. I didn't say that "restrictions first, then narrative". Nor did I say that restrictions imposed by merchandising are equivalent to a self-imposed restriction to do with content. But in both examples, not only is the creativity not hampered by the restrictions, but it's precisely embracing the restrictions that will lead to creativity. The problem with the Marvel example isn't that their being given restrictions and as such, can't be creative. It's that the restrictions are bad ones and the writer (rightfully or wrongfully) chooses not to work off them. In fact, you even agree that those restrictions, if they were to be embraced, would tighten the story up.

You are arguing against a point I never made, which is that "all restrictions are equivalent in their value", by making an equally fallacious statement that "self-imposed restrictions are better than those imposed upon you by others". The origin of the restriction is utterly irrelevant as to the quality of that restriction in breeding creativity, nor the resultant creative decisions the artist gets from working against them. It doesn't matter where the restriction comes from, or who gave it. What matters is that the restriction encourages creativity and that the artist embraces it to be creative.

It seems to me that the most well regarded works of big two comics are the ones that are transgressive, either stories about characters that are not yet well developed or at the fringe of the universe (and thus more open to diverse interpretation and nimble retconning), or interpretations that take place in an alternate universe or where the artist has enough clout to ignore continuity as it suits them. Look at Swamp Thing or Animal Man. A one-note creature feature who had his entire core changed for the sake of a sprawling gothic epic. "Alec Holand isn't Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing is Alec Holland's corpse". A d-list superhero that had appeared in maybe three stories. "Buddy Baker is just a pawn in a game of metafiction". Look at Azz's Wonder Woman, one of the few DC relaunches getting legitimate acclaim, where he outright stated he hadn't read much and never much cared for the character, where he's completely rewritten her supporting cast and upends fundamental aspects of her characterization and background. Look at Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX, where any associations with the Marvel Universe are cut free and Ennis is left to go to town. It's hard to say these are interpretations of the core characters. Frank Castle could have been any number of 70's and 80's style vigilante pastiches, Wonder Woman could work with little change as an urban fantasy strippde out of the universe proper. ST and AM could be exchanged with any number of original or existing characters with little loss to the original properties. These books aren't the definitive stories of these characters because they're about these characters. They're the definitive stories because they're great stories in and of themselves that are hidden in the skins of existing properties, and they become the new definition for these properties.

And The Ultimates is much the same. Whether you think it's one of the best works of mainstream superhero narrative or not, it's hard to argue that Mark Millar was given a pretty remarkable degree of creative license most writers aren't given. Writing superhero comics rarely gives you the amount of leverage for interpretation he had, and its success is largely due to the degree to which he reinterpreted. Classic characters are chiseled down until their virtues are stripped away and all that's left are their ugliest, rawest traits. If you ask me, they aren't at all the core interpretations of these characters. Thor in particular seems antithetical to the vision of Kirby and later Simonson's character. But it worked not because it captured these characters, but because it essentially gave Millar license to tell a creator-driven superhero comic with the names of Marvel characters plastered to his characters. And Wanted was just a rejected DC pitch with the names changed to be marketed as an indie book. Either could interchangably work in canon or out, but they both sink and swim on the creative freedoms given to Millar.

On second thought, that's maybe a little too far, but I still think it's pretty clear the success of The Ultimates came from a loosening of limitations on corporate-creative properties. And it's also a textbook example of creator-owned versus corporate owned. Would The Ultimates have been better had it not been licensed? Yes. And it would have been called The Authority. ;)

No. It would've been worse. You forget; Mark Millar actually continued THE ULTIMATES after he left Marvel as WAR HEROES which was a total failure.

That isn't to say there can't be great pieces of work that are driven by an author's desire for an owned character. All-Star Superman was clearly a project of passion, and one that would have not had nearly the impact with any other character. Sometimes an artist's intent will serendipitously converge with a particular character. Sometimes a story can be fused to a character with little sacrifice being made. But more often than not, the great passion project for someone isn't going to neatly tailor itself as a Spider-Man story.

I would agree. Which is why I never said anything to the contrary.

That said; I can see how you got the wrong idea. I should've given an additional contrary example to the one I gave. By going "Thor good, WANTED bad", you got the impression I meant, "Franchise good, indie bad". I should've also given an "Indie good, franchise bad" example. Warren Ellis' GLOBAL FREQUENCY versus ULTIMATE IRON MAN: ARMOUR WARS would've worked.

I think that's a good way of putting it. With most skills, you learn by following a blueprint. You mimic artists or musicians or writers you know. You crib their style as you learn the craft, and the more you do it, the more you learn. But eventually you reach a point where the templated available aren't versatile enough to tell the story you want.

Most artists don't even acknowledge a blueprint exists, let alone that they should learn from it. They just presume any acknowledgment of a blueprint will stifle your creativity, as if they're inherently masters of the form. Can't stand it.

Last edited:
The TL;DR version:

Fenway: "I find it hard to be creative with restrictions."
Bass: "Creativity breeds restrictions."
Zombipanda: "Your claim is ridiculous. Creativity breeds restrictions, and self-imposed restrictions are better than ones imposed by corporate fiat."
Bass: "I didn't claim they weren't. Also, the origin of the restriction is irrelevant in regards to its value to the artist."

Also, in the TL;DR version, I'm well-dressed, in a suit, surrounded by beautiful women and money, and Zombipanda is a homeless man. And the rest of you are his malnourished animal friends.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back